Hammer performance on coyotes

• Thread starter Deleted member 115360
  • Start date
Post #46 insinuated that $1.00/bullet shouldn't be of concern. With respect to Shootin4fun $4000 in gear to shoot dogs is a bit much. It just strikes me as braggadocio's. Most folks in the North of Idaho that I know don't, and many can't spend that kind of money to kill coyotes. I'd be willing to bet most kill more song dogs than the average "hunter". Cup and core bullets work just fine in the service of predator hunting, even while wearing Carhartts and using mouth calls. Nothing against monos, I use them in certain applications myself. However the current ****** attitude is of concern. It smacks of group think.
BTW I'm no child with over 45 years experience hand loading. I've been on this site for awhile now myself. Rigorous debate and detailed discussion was once the norm as opposed to "how much I spend". Excuse me for expressing my discontent from time to time. Old men get crabby don't ya know.
I will say you don't have to have expensive gear to complete your goals but on the other hand more expensive gear usually makes goals easier to reach and much more consistent .I managed to maintain at one time three custom rifles and kept them fed living on Social Security we all strive to have the best gear we can afford and should not bash others no matter what they use

Way back when I came here it was rare and considered bad form, impolite if you will, to disclose expenses unless asked. Humility no longer has the value it once did. Regrettably much the same as punctuation. Carry on…I have better things to do. I get to shoot out of my yard, although I'll refrain from disclosing how much my property cost.

Way back when I came here it was rare and considered bad form, impolite if you will, to disclose expenses unless asked. Humility no longer has the value it once did. Regrettably much the same as punctuation. Carry on…I have better things to do. I get to shoot out of my yard, although I'll refrain from disclosing how much my property cost.
awesome-reaction.gif

I was content to leave this alone, but you had to come back and get another jab at me.

It doesn't concern me that I don't meet your standards of "humility", I've heard that most of my life. I'm a savage, probably a high percentage of neanderthal DNA, humility isn't my strong suit. But, you completely misunderstand my intent. I'll address those numbers in detail to see if I'm way off:

Winter Camo clothes at $500 isn't a ridiculous number. I mean, I didn't start adding up tags, but I'll bet I'm not way off. Think about wearing your insulated under layer, mid layer and your camo insulated pants and jacket. Then you've got a face mask, insulated headgear of some sort and winter boots. You would be lucky to buy that set up at Walmart for less than $500 these days.

They make e-callers over a grand. At least a few of them, and so $600 is kinda middle of the road cost for a new call these days.

And finally, a $3,000 rifle. Well, let's assume you have $100 bases, $100 rings, and a decent bipod ($100), and then you split what's left between scope and rifle, that's.... carry the 2..... $1,350 each, rifle and scope. You can definitely do it for less, but I'll bet most people that are members of this sight hit the woods with a whole lot more money in their rifle than that.

I wasn't bragging. I wasn't even talking about myself. I didn't even give those numbers any consideration, I just spit them out in a method of speech that was a mix of (what I thought was) obvious hyperbole and really expedient calculation. If you go look at the forum posts where people show off their varmint rifles, you'll find that most of the serious varmint hunters on this site couldn't buy their naked rifles for this "braggadocios" amount of money. You seem to have an axe to grind, and I am not sure how you figured I would be the guy to lean into, but you were wrong.

Suffering from inferiority complex...

Suffering from inferiority complex...
No, just the old days.
By the way BB…couldn't resist eh.
This is like a father trying to talk his daughter out of a cult. "That bullet isn't a spaceship taking you to heaven dear." You folks have built a world and identity around a piece of copper. Let it go. Steve will be just fine (better) without the help. Read this…HIS BULLETS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.

No, just the old days.
This is like a father trying to talk his daughter out of a cult. "That bullet isn't a spaceship taking you to heaven dear." You folks have built a world and identity around a piece of copper. Let it go. Steve will be just fine (better) without the help. Read this…HIS BULLETS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
Hammer bullets are living rent free in your head.

There is no cult. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

No, just the old days.
Have you shot a coyote with a Hammer ?

To summarize: yes hammer bullets will kill coyotes real dead. Are they more expensive than other bullets? Yes. Does that matter when you can't find other bullets or in comparison to other expenses? No. Therefore, order from Steve; kill coyotes, save turkeys/rabbits/lambs and decide if it's a better mousetrap for your uses.

Mine were shots of opportunity not an intentional selection.