Hammer load...HELP!

adam32+P

I just worked up a load for a 6.5x55 with a 99gr hammer and W760...started at 47gr and had a slight ejector mark at 51gr. I went back to 50gr and loaded 5 up with the first drive band showing. 2.8" OAL...lands are at 3.275 but the bullet is too short to make it anywhere close to that.

6+" group, all over the place. It was hot out so that didn't help but factory core lokts managed 1.5" at 108 yards so I don't believe it's a rifle issue and I was shooting the RUMs 1/2-3/4 that day so I think I was doing fine.

Back to the drawing board...I went to 3.0" OAL, that's about as far out as I can go to have enough bullet in the neck. I crimped them this time. I also tried another powder.

Best I could get was 2.5" for 5 rounds.

I'm going to bump up the powder charge a little and try again.

The crimping definitely helped but it's still not acceptable. Rifle is a factory Howa with a carbon stalker stock and a Vortex in DNZ mounts/rings.

The extremely long throat isn't helping but I would like to get it to at least MOA.

I posted this over on the Hammer board first but haven't gotten any help there so figured I'd try over here.

Sometimes we don't get what we want, that bullet sounds like it isn't for your rifle. It is what it is, the only thing you can do is try seating it deeper and see it it changes. But I dunno if it will.

Load it to bullet shoulder. Crimp. Give it a run. I did this with my last Grendel load .55 MOA. Only negative is reduced charge load but being Hammer Bullet still running 40FPS faster than bullet in same weight class.

I have found hammers very tolerate of jump, although the longest jump I have is .118" (6.5 CM 85HH). QL shows that your 3.0 COAL has .30" of seating depth which should be sufficient especially with a crimp. How many rounds are on the barrel? I ask because even if you could safely seat to SAAMI max COAL of 3.150", you would still be jumping .125"

Suggest you email Steve at Hammer.

A 6" plus group suggests to me either a twist issue or fouling. Something isn't right. I'd start from scratch and make sure you bore is completely clean of all jacket material. What's your twist rate? Hammer's website says 1-9.5" or faster required.

Load it to bullet shoulder. Crimp. Give it a run. I did this with my last Grendel load .55 MOA. Only negative is reduced charge load but being Hammer Bullet still running 40FPS faster than bullet in same weight class.

What do you mean the bullet shoulder? Like even deeper than the drive bands?

I have found hammers very tolerate of jump, although the longest jump I have is .118" (6.5 CM 85HH). QL shows that your 3.0 COAL has .30" of seating depth which should be sufficient especially with a crimp. How many rounds are on the barrel? I ask because even if you could safely seat to SAAMI max COAL of 3.150", you would still be jumping .125"

Suggest you email Steve at Hammer.

Less than 40 thru the rifle. If I go to 3.150 then barely the boattail would be in the casing.

Maybe I should just go with a longer bullet but I wanted light and fast(ish).

A 6" plus group suggests to me either a twist issue or fouling. Something isn't right. I'd start from scratch and make sure you bore is completely clean of all jacket material. What's your twist rate? Hammer's website says 1-9.5" or faster required.

I'll clean it again before next try.

1/8 twist.

Do you have any other powders? If not, try seating them deeper. 20 thou at a time and see what happens. Seating depth can be all it takes.
I usually try 3 or 4 different powders at the same seating depth and see which one shoots the better group and what velocity is. Then I will work with the best powder and try different seating depths. 10 thou can make all the difference. Just my 2 cents.

Do you have any other powders? If not, try seating them deeper. 20 thou at a time and see what happens. Seating depth can be all it takes.
I usually try 3 or 4 different powders at the same seating depth and see which one shoots the better group and what velocity is. Then I will work with the best powder and try different seating depths. 10 thou can make all the difference. Just my 2 cents.
I would try the 109 gr absolute , with H4350 , start .025 too .030 from lands . I usually seat around the 2 nd drive band . With the absolute you won't touch lands anyway . I get 3728 fps with my 6.5 prc the 6.5x55 should get 3100 fps plus with that bullet . My go too load use too be 47 grs of H4350 with a 125 gr Nosler Partition cci250 , at 3000 fps from my 6.5x55

Less than 40 thru the rifle. If I go to 3.150 then barely the boattail would be in the casing.

Maybe I should just go with a longer bullet but I wanted light and fast(ish).
Could always use a 100 to 120 Ballistic Tip. Steve Timms wrote about how he, Chub Eastman and Matt Smith of Nosler used those loads in a 6.5-280 AI for deer, elk, and I think moose. If you want I'll look up the thread tomorrow.

Could always use a 100 to 120 Ballistic Tip. Steve Timms wrote about how he, Chub Eastman and Matt Smith of Nosler used those loads in a 6.5-280 AI for deer, elk, and I think moose. If you want I'll look up the thread tomorrow.

I would...but being in California I need to use lead free.