Hammer hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read over some of his comments in other threads and you will have
Guys, the thread was intended to satisfy my curiosity having first used then worked for Barnes and listened to countless customer calls of "no expansion", yet a recovered animal, and having to explain the bullet expanded, but impact velocity was such that the petals sheared off at the bottom of the cavity. And what about the Hammer make people so excited to shoot a game animal with it. From the number of responses on this and many other threads mentioning this product it is clear that Barnes never marketed their product to perform that way, Hammer does. Yes, everything I've killed in the last almost 30 years has been killed with a Barnes product, but I'm open to new ideas. Yes, everyone is entitled to state their experience and opinions related to that product. I intend to try Hammers this season and RockyMtn, Steve, has been very helpful. The greatest thing about our hobby is we all have choices. If lead core works for you great. I am partial to monos. In my experience, less meat damage and bloodshot regardless of 50 yard or 400 yard impact. Thank you again for the input is all been read and entertaining. Keep it coming

I have always shot Bergers and still will. But for my 338 NMI I wanted to try the 260 HH. Sure the Bc isn't really high. But I did the numbers and at 800 yards it's a 1.75" difference in wind drift compared to 300 grain Bergers at 2800, and the 260's shoot flatter. Doubt anyone on here can read wind to within 1.75" or hold that when shooting from a hunting position. I seated them .010 off and did 2 shots each of powder at 300 yards. I am going to circle back to 92 and Do a seating depth. I might not have to. Target was size of a quarter.

Attachments

• 5F1CC76A-ACF5-438E-8CFE-150D5B853BEC.jpeg
    5F1CC76A-ACF5-438E-8CFE-150D5B853BEC.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 300
.....Guys, the thread was intended to satisfy my curiosity having first used then worked for Barnes and listened to countless customer calls of "no expansion", yet a recovered animal, and having to explain the bullet expanded, but impact velocity was such that the petals sheared off at the bottom of the cavity. And what about the Hammer make people so excited to shoot a game animal with it. From the number of responses on this and many other threads mentioning this product it is clear that Barnes never marketed their product to perform that way, Hammer does........

A little slow coming around to the petals coming off myself. I still have some question about how much of the bullet should come off ideally. A great thing about Hammer is the ability/willingness to indulge such quirks to a degree.

I found the Barnes to be more like that proverbial box of chocolates, some that didn't open at all, some bent, some
good mushrooms, and some with the shed petal.

I've been at the shop a couple of times, and what continues to impress me is the scrap pile. Not so much the material that didn't meet expectations these days, but still about 40% of the material to make a bullet ends up scrap. I don't know Barnes process at all, but I didn't see that kind of commitment to consistency in the end product.

Maybe I just like(d) the Barnes Originals so much, it was too much of a stretch to change all at once!

I believe your intent was curiosity, and I remain curious about Barnes manufacturing process.

Hmmmmm.....
What are the symptoms of copper toxicity?

Some reported symptoms of copper poisoning include:

• headaches
  • fever
  • passing out
  • feeling sick
  • throwing up
  • blood in your vomit
  • diarrhea
  • black poop
  • abdominal cramps
  • brown ring-shaped markings in your eyes (Kayser-Fleischer rings)
  • yellowing of eyes and skin (jaundice)
Copper poisoning may also cause the following mental and behavioral symptoms:

• feeling anxious or irritable
  • having trouble paying attention
  • feeling overexcited or overwhelmed
  • feeling unusually sad or depressed
  • sudden changes in your mood
Long-term copper toxicity can also be fatal or cause:

Hmmmmm.....

• headaches
  • fever
  • passing out
  • feeling sick
  • throwing up
  • blood in your vomit
  • diarrhea
  • black poop
  • abdominal cramps

D2795A60-40A1-48C1-8ACE-ACE995626E1C.jpeg

FEA192CC-8765-4DB9-BF41-27C1819B71E2.jpeg

So the normal blood level of copper is 7 to 14 times higher than the maximum allowable level of lead.

Additionally what you posted is primarily related to certain drinks out of copper mugs. Liquids below a PH 6 would pull the copper out of the mug at which point it would be ingested in a state much more likely to be absorbed into the blood stream. I did not see such a case for larger copper particles such as bullet fragments causing any of the above issues.

I think the point here is that copper bullets don't frag off into tiny pieces that may be undetected and inadvertently consumed. Even the gold standard partition bullets smear off too much lead IMO but they are incredibly reliable at harvesting game.
I use both cup & core and monos. I was never really concerned with elevated lead levels because for years I only shot for lungs and that part of that animal is discarded anyway. Intentionally shooting into heavy shoulders with a lead bullet is likely to result in tiny frags of lead that go unnoticed. Is that a realistic health issue - I don't know.

Hmmmmm.....

• headaches
  • fever
  • passing out
  • feeling sick
  • throwing up
  • blood in your vomit
  • diarrhea
  • black poop
  • abdominal cramps

Status
Not open for further replies.