Hammer hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny story:
I've duck and goose hunted all my life until recently (too old and unsteady now). Several years ago i went to a doctor about my back. He took x-rays. When he came in to talk about my back his opening remark was "i see you are a duck hunter!" I didn't know this guy from squat🤔!
How did you possibly know that? I asked.
Youve got #4 and 6 lead shot in your stomach! That was years ago and I never forgot my surprise!

That's great that's your opinion, nothing wrong with that...

My comment was indeed about you, because you were putting words in someone else's mouth and they put that to rest...

If you thought I put words in Zen's mouth, you didnt watch the video. I just shared what he said. I watch all of Zen's videos, I think he does a great job. He maybe added some context to his statement, but he made the FMJ statement. I think it is funny y'all are getting so worked up about this...🤣

Obviously feelings were hurt over some of my comments - sorry, not sorry🤷🏻‍♂️

Weird? Your position is not supported by lots of x-rays of game shot with lead core bullets.
Once again - is this really a thing? I have been doing a little research and I can't find anything substantive to support your position Rich. I thinking this whole lead poisoning from using lead core bullets is BS.

Once again - is this really a thing? I have been doing a little research and I can't find anything substantive to support your position Rich. I thinking this whole lead poisoning from using lead core bullets is BS.

You and are exactly the same. You think you are correct and I think I am correct.

If you are talking about me - I stand by everything I said in this thread. I haven't read anything that would cause me to give hammer any of my money.

Honestly, unless you have a weird fear of lead poisoning or live in a communist state, I am not sure why you would shoot a mono bullet over a lead core - either bonded or cup and core.

Because I am shooting light bullets in my 6.5 PRC for a flat trajectory and am more concerned about the bullets coming apart on a close range impact than I am about lead in my meat. I got full penetration diagonally through a 475# bear at an impact velocity of 3100 fps, a similar weight lead bullet would have most likely disintegrated and fail to reach the vitals on such a shot. And that was with the old loads, with StaBall 6.5 a MV of 3350 fps for my hunting loads is looking like a very real possibility.

"Obviously feelings were hurt over some of my comments - sorry, not sorry🤷🏻‍♂️"

nope no feelings hurt here, but thanks for your concern...

.....Because I am shooting light bullets in my 6.5 PRC for a flat trajectory and am more concerned about the bullets coming apart on a close range impact than I am about lead in my meat. I got full penetration diagonally through a 475# bear at an impact velocity of 3100 fps, a similar weight lead bullet would have most likely disintegrated and fail to reach the vitals on such a shot. And that was with the old loads, with StaBall 6.5 a MV of 3350 fps for my hunting loads is looking like a very real possibility.......

Which bullet on the bear?

Which bullet on the bear?

122gr Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos, I really wanted to catch one to go with the skull but I spent probably 45 minutes with a knife looking and the best I could find was some nose fragments between the fat layer and the muscle.
EC3D2879-AF14-4C66-9DA6-056DAD78488C.jpeg

I actually shot a 124gr Hammer at him first but he was running and dropped his head as I shot for the chest so the bullet hit him in the top of the snout first. It should have went through and lodged in his chest but I wasn't able to find a hole in the chest so I'm not sure if it deflected or it lacked the energy to penetrate the chest.

64E2F675-0533-4F18-8DB4-A82AE487270A.jpeg

Taxidermist said he is done with the skull so hopefully I will be able to get it soon as I will be interested to see how much bone was actually damaged by the bullet.

The Hammer did work wonderfully on this buck though that I shot a couple hours before the bear at around 7:30 that morning, it was a busy opening day for the inaugural Saturday Opener in PA.
AC05BC48-8F5F-45FC-B99D-78E24BEE1EA2.jpeg

.....Obviously feelings were hurt over some of my comments - sorry, not sorry🤷🏻‍♂️............

You overestimate your effect, but I do believe you've made your agenda clear. The title of the post though not yours was just another opportunity for you to hide ownership of your opinion, and view point behind. I just hate seeing ignorance spread where an unsuspecting new comer might stumble on it uncontested.

1) FMJ/and or non expanding bullets are not new, shape and material vary, and in many cases are the best choice for the job. Perhaps you're unaware of any but surplus military ammo. I'll leave you a picture.
2) Once any of the mono's, or partitions shed their nose they are in effect FMJ's from there forward. Again those types maintaining their spitzer shape are less than consistent in their effect. Some change course, some tumble, some "pencil" leaving at best a caliber size permanent wound track, some bend, very hard lead may shatter. A caliber size meplat typically leaves a larger than initial caliber, and maintains course, though might turn over when it gets close to stopping.

The Hammer is designed to shed about 25% of the nose, offering a full caliber meplat of sufficient weight and terminal velocity to penetrate deeply. Wound channels channels have both length and width. If we're taking shots from the rear the bullet has to penetrate deeply.

The pig stops. Most likely due to bullet striking spine, or bone close to it. At the terminal velocity given, had it not changed form, change of course, or tumbling would be the most likely scenario. The pig dies. Obviously something vital was hit, either by the petals of the nose, or in a long wound track.

Consider the bullet may have performed exactly as it was designed, and the design is "solid" (pun intended). I'll include one article, from many supporting the above.

IMG-0398.jpg
Would you expect the same performance from these different non-expanding bullets? Have you ever used non-expanding bullets in a hunting situation, or test media?

I will say that we did not start making pure copper bullets because of any issues with lead other than excessive meat damage. I personally am not in favor of lead banning legislation. I do often say that there is no good reason to eat lead.

Here is a scenario to ponder. Let's say you are seated in a nice restaurant and the waiter comes to the table and offers you water. He gives you a choice of two waters, one that is pure and one that is slightly lead contaminated. Which one would you choose?

Does the clean water cost twice as much as the lead water? And does the lead water have a higher BC?

I'm kidding...I have shot hammer bullets and like them. I just think it's so funny that people get so passionate about it. Shoot what you want, The hammer guys arnt holding a gun to your head and making you pick them.

I will say that we did not start making pure copper bullets because of any issues with lead other than excessive meat damage. I personally am not in favor of lead banning legislation. I do often say that there is no good reason to eat lead.

Here is a scenario to ponder. Let's say you are seated in a nice restaurant and the waiter comes to the table and offers you water. He gives you a choice of two waters, one that is pure and one that is slightly lead contaminated. Which one would you choose?
What a dumb statement man - you and your hammer bullets are better than this aren't you? SMH...

Status
Not open for further replies.