Hammer hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lehigh Defense bullets in 6.5 (122grn) actually shoot amazing in my 6.5-06AI. Consistently shoot in the .2s, but at a pretty slow node ~3020fps. I've got them over 3300fps before pressure, but couldn't get it to group anywhere as good. Not sure of their results on game, not very many reviews out there?

Shot a few deer a 475# black bear and a wild boar using the 30 cal brass 145gr Chaos for the deer and the 6.5 cal 122gr Chaos bullets for the bear and pig. The 30 cals were doing 3040 FPS out of an 06 and the 6.5s were going 3150 fps out of a PRC. I shot 4 deer with the 06, the 3 does shot broadside did not go far and left a large blood trail, the buck was hit directly in the sternum and tipped over stone dead.

The bear I shot 3 times with the 6.5 but that was more due to my inexperience with bears being that it was the first one I had seen and the fact that I was not bear hunting until it was running downhill towards me. The first one was a quartering away shot in front of the rear leg that exited just behind the front shoulder breaking the spine and catching the lungs with some of the fragments. The next two were both broad side shots as it tried to get back up, due to the thick fat the entrances holes into the ribcage were approximately 2" in diameter and the lungs were shredded.

The pig was shot at night in the shoulder, the entrance wasn't too bad but the offside shoulder was trashed, pig dropped and squealed but did not get up.

So overall I have had good terminal performance with them however I should clarify that all of my shots have been less than 100 yards. PA doesn't have much in the way of long shots where I hunt.

First off - Zen is pretty legit and I respect his opinion. He has probably killed more pigs than most of us on this forum combined. So I doubt he would throw the hammers are operating like FMJs out just for fun on his video.

Also, you keep hounding me about a 6.5 100gr bullet...I haven't offered one because I would never shoot a 100 gr bullet in a 6.5 anything - whats the point? the lightest bullets I have shot in my 6.5's were 130's - I will always choose the highest bc bullet that I can trust to perform well on game. If I was shooting a 100ish grain bullet I would drop down to a 108 in my 6mm creedmoor or a 95gr berger in my 243. Or a 115 berger in a 25-06 - all of those would hammer pigs.

also, I don't understand why you are so upset about Zen's comments in his video...

This post did not age well.

Hmmm, someone stopped replying on this thread... I wonder he's drunk eating crow...
If you are talking about me - I stand by everything I said in this thread. I haven't read anything that would cause me to give hammer any of my money.

Honestly, unless you have a weird fear of lead poisoning or live in a communist state, I am not sure why you would shoot a mono bullet over a lead core - either bonded or cup and core.

If you are talking about me - I stand by everything I said in this thread. I haven't read anything that would cause me to give hammer any of my money.

Honestly, unless you have a weird fear of lead poisoning or live in a communist state, I am not sure why you would shoot a mono bullet over a lead core - either bonded or cup and core.
That's great that's your opinion, nothing wrong with that...

My comment was indeed about you, because you were putting words in someone else's mouth and they put that to rest...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.