Hammer hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one you still haven't provided your preference for a 6.5 100 grain class, bullet for making that type of shot, on that size game.

First off - Zen is pretty legit and I respect his opinion. He has probably killed more pigs than most of us on this forum combined. So I doubt he would throw the hammers are operating like FMJs out just for fun on his video.

Also, you keep hounding me about a 6.5 100gr bullet...I haven't offered one because I would never shoot a 100 gr bullet in a 6.5 anything - whats the point? the lightest bullets I have shot in my 6.5's were 130's - I will always choose the highest bc bullet that I can trust to perform well on game. If I was shooting a 100ish grain bullet I would drop down to a 108 in my 6mm creedmoor or a 95gr berger in my 243. Or a 115 berger in a 25-06 - all of those would hammer pigs.

also, I don't understand why you are so upset about Zen's comments in his video...

Last edited:
.....Having said that, last time I checked this isn't north korea, and just because some of you don't like my opinion or experience, does it mean it shouldnt be shared? I thought that was the benefit of a forum like this......

Not a lot of fixed stars in your sky are there? You post criticism's and expect what? You avoid the simple answer you finally gave, and looks more like evasion, than hounding on this end.

In all of Zen Archery's video's or posts, I've never even for a moment taken issue with his work.

I do take issue with you using them to leverage your agenda.

Thank you for finally answering the question. Using any of those bullets you find more ideal, given shot placement, would you expect an improved outcome? Or perhaps at least clarifying, what you consider better terminal effect than what's in the video.

As you wouldn't use any bullet of that diameter and weight, another way to look at it is it punched out of it's class.

I've never even for a moment taken issue with his work.
🙄🤔What are you doing now? He is saying the performed like an FMJ - you are saying they didn't? So you don't believe him? You were there? Please clarify what you mean by "I've never even for a moment taken issue with his work." 🙄 Why don't you attack Zen for actually making the FMJ comment?

Also, apparently I have an agenda..lol. Please let me know what you think that is? Sharing my honest experience and pointing out others who have had less than perfect experiences with hammer bullets?

what is your agenda? To try and belittle and harass anybody who doesn't like hammer bullets? Do you own stock in their company? Why can't people share honest experiences on here without getting attacked?

Seriously, at some point the hammer cult needs to relax and realize that not everybody wants to drink the coolaid, or keep drinking the coolaid.

Last edited:
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

You continue trying to bring a third party into this, I went back and looked, and find no reference from me about his "performed like an FMJ" comment, rather I've tried to get you to own your "disappointing performance" comment.
I did/do question you doing your best to not look at the end results. If it "performed" like an FMJ, maybe we could use more of that.

We have the same base of reference the video.

I look forward to his testing more with ballistic gel.

I'll start off with saying I've never shot a big game animal with a mono bullet. I love Bergers and the performance I've personally seen on animals. When I moved to Cali last year I went a little crazy and bought GMXs, TTSX/LRXs, e-Tips, Cutting Edge, Lehigh Defense and Hammers.
After a half box of both 257 and 30 cal cutting edge bullets those went back under the reloading bench, not worth the $$ to fine tune a load. The GMXs and e-Tips haven't even been opened and probably never will. I guess I'm just not interested in them, maybe keep them around for a rainy day?
The LRXs were bought with the intent to run them in my 300 WSM, once again the thought of a non-fragmenting bullet lost its appeal to me? I ended up loading those for my dad in his 308. The TTSXs have left me scratching my head? I bought a box from a local shop here and they have to be the worst QC bullets I've seen? The tips are all screwed up, most don't fit into the copper correctly. Not impressed at all.
The Lehigh Defense bullets in 6.5 (122grn) actually shoot amazing in my 6.5-06AI. Consistently shoot in the .2s, but at a pretty slow node ~3020fps. I've got them over 3300fps before pressure, but couldn't get it to group anywhere as good. Not sure of their results on game, not very many reviews out there?
Currently I have Hammers for my 270SS, and just ordered more for my 300WSM and new in progress build 25SST. What I liked about the hammers in my 270 was their ease to find a good load and reviews. I go into the field without a single doubt in my mind that they are going to perform on game as advertised. Yes they are expensive, but after opening the first box and looking at the quality of each and every bullet in my mind the price was justified.
6294F3C9-4331-4B88-AA15-2C15D3E47AEB.jpeg

A). If someone is truly interested in a round they would be willing to get the demo pack. No one in the market (I know of) has put this together.
B). Hammer bullets are NOT Barnes. You get your hands on them and you know that instantly. Design and construction is different. (aka Hammers patten.)
C). I have personally used hammer for 2 or 3 years now. In all that time I have exactly "1." Hog that walked away. Using a very amped up small hammer bullet. So might wanna reference every Hammer Video I have put together before using the "1" hog that walked away.
D). If you are really interested and shoot a .264 I'll ship you some for free so that you can see for yourself.

Well, there you have it!

I'll post my usual personal take on Hammer Bullets:
For my hunting purposes, I think that the 143gr HH out of my 7mmWSM offers the widest range band of reliable performance. I.E., I am confident it will work as designed and go where I want it from 0 to 600 yards. Out past 800, sure an ABLR or Berger with a higher BC will have less wind drift- but I don't need to shoot that far on elk or deer, and the more likely 50 to 100 yd shot will present problems with terminal performance.

I value my time and am not a reloading enthusiast, so the extremely abbreviated load work-up process that Hammers are widely documented to require and that i experienced myself make them the economical choice for me. One less trip to the range pays for half a box of bullets in diesel saved!

If I were a target shooter, like I hope to one day be if I ever get the time, they would not likely be my choice for that purpose. For the handful of game animals I may get to chase per year at this point in my life, I've found my load and am sticking to it. This is actually a problem for Steve at Hammer, because I've only bought one box thus far, last year, and am not going to need another this year!

Jonoton, you need more rifles to play with😋
I would love to, but ask me for anything but time!
My wife and I are working towards building a home on acreage that will allow me to shoot 500 yds off the porch. No new rifles till then, though. No time to hunt with them, much less devote any time to reloading and trips to the range these days. I'm a freezer hunter, so can make the time to hunt/get groceries.

In that respect, it is almost like Steve developed a product specifically for fellas like myself - not much time to do load development, not much time to practice at extended ranges, and a need to minimize meat loss. I'm not so hard pressed for time that I felt the need to ship my rifle out for load development, though. Yet!

A). If someone is truly interested in a round they would be willing to get the demo pack. No one in the market (I know of) has put this together.
B). Hammer bullets are NOT Barnes. You get your hands on them and you know that instantly. Design and construction is different. (aka Hammers patten.)
C). I have personally used hammer for 2 or 3 years now. In all that time I have exactly "1." Hog that walked away. Using a very amped up small hammer bullet. So might wanna reference every Hammer Video I have put together before using the "1" hog that walked away.
D). If you are really interested and shoot a .264 I'll ship you some for free so that you can see for yourself.
Straight from the HOG HAMMERS mouth thank you sir and keep up the good work

Any bullet that relies on a tiny hollow cavity in the top to initiate expansion can fail. Any controlled expansion bullet can fail to expand fast enough when not encountering sufficient mass or traveling with extreme speed . Sometimes the failure isn't the bullet, rifle or cartridges fault if ya know what I'm say'n

Status
Not open for further replies.