Hammer Hunter vs ELD-X: Speed and Accuracy

Doozy

My coworkers are interested in my Hammer bullets. The Hammer page used to advertise a certain amount of fps faster, all things being equal. So that's what I did...

This lead me to an experiment where I pulled three ELD-X bullets from factory Hornady 300 PRC @ 212 gr (actual average weight of 212.22 gr), and replacing them with Hammer Hunter 214 gr bullets (actual average weight of 212.44 gr), and didn't touch the factory powder, neck tension or crimp. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the seating depth the exact same ... 0.536" for ELD-X and 0.603" (for a difference of 0.067").

After shooting 3-shot groups using my LabRadar and using a magnetospeed barrel cooler for 7 minutes in between all shots, I got the following averages:
ELD-X = 2985 fps
HH = 3024 fps

Result: Hammer Hunters were +39 fps. However, I have suspicions that perhaps 7 minutes of cooling wasn't enough since every successive shot was a bit faster. So I'm still suspicious about the velocity test.

What I'm NOT suspicious about is the accuracy! Take a look at the three ELD-X shots on the right, and the 3 HH in one hole. With nothing changed except the bullet, my rifle began shooting lights-out, with a three shot group of 0.106".

Conclusion: I'm going to pull my remaining ELD-Xs and replace them with HH 214s!

Thank you Brian and Steve for an outstanding product!

Attachments

• ELD-X vs HH 3-shot groups.jpg
    ELD-X vs HH 3-shot groups.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 540
What would be a good HH substitute for the 190 SMKs FGMM in a 10 twist 300WM? I would love to get HH to sub for the 190s without any work other than pull the 190s and drop on the HH and hunt with them. I have enough FGMM to burn up, but leery to hunt with 190 SMKs.

Back in the high power shooting days we call this Mexican Match. Even as late as a decade ago I shot Ks of surplus 7.62x51 ammo by just pulling the 145-150 class FMJs and dropped in 125-135 class match bullets and shot short range matches with them.

Last edited:
SMK Gold Medals are hollow points, so Hammer Hunters would be the comparable bullet. You can find their .308 diameter bullets here:

They don't have a 190 gr bullet. They have a 181 HH, and a 196 HH. However, the 196 HH says that their weight is actually 194 gr. Hammer bullets are monolithic (all copper) which means they are longer for the same weight. So you could go either way. However, the 181 recommends a 1:9.5 twist, so the 196 seems closer to what you want. Here's the description:

"We designed this bullet for the guys who have standard 1-10″ twist barrels that feel better shooting a bullet in the 200g class with a good bc. The 196g Hammer Hunter has the classic nose design of the other Hammer Hunters but with a shortened boat tail and longer baring surface in order to get the weight up. This one will be a great normal to long range hunting bullet."

I don't want to assume anything but did you set the same distance to the lands (CBTO not COAL)?
Nope. Since hammer bullets are monolithic copper, they have to be longer to match the same weight.

That means one can match the seating depth or the distance to lands, but not both. I decided the seating depth would be the better of the two, since matching the distance to the lands would create more of a compression of the POWDER in the HH cartridges, which I figured would alter the speed even more.

Like I said, I wasn't even able to match the seating depth, but even if I had, I still don't think I provided a perfect test of velocity. There are errors to what I did. So nobody should take my velocity test as conclusive.

Also, the HH accuracy could have been unfairly benefited by having the bullet closer to the lands. That is certainly possible. I would need to do more testing to know (which I'm not going to do since I only have 15 more factory cartridges).

I found a winning formula for those rounds and I'm going to go with it. My post should only be taken as an interesting observation from one person's experience.

Nope. Since hammer bullets are monolithic copper, they have to be longer to match the same weight.

That means one can match the seating depth or the distance to lands, but not both. I decided the seating depth would be the better of the two, since matching the distance to the lands would create more of a compression of the POWDER in the HH cartridges, which I figured would alter the speed even more.

Like I said, I wasn't even able to match the seating depth, but even if I had, I still don't think I provided a perfect test of velocity. There are errors to what I did. So nobody should take my velocity test as conclusive.

Also, the HH accuracy could have been unfairly benefited by having the bullet closer to the lands. That is certainly possible. I would need to do more testing to know (which I'm not going to do since I only have 15 more factory cartridges).

I found a winning formula for those rounds and I'm going to go with it. My post should only be taken as an interesting observation from one person's experience.
That's what I thought, so it is not as an equal baseline as you claim. I am fine with the observation; however, do not claim that everything is equal when it is not, regardless of the bullet comparison. Good luck and have fun with it.

You did good and

You did a good comparison there is no equal comparison too make a Eldx out shoot a Hammer bullet

OP, If you haven't already, I believe you could optimize your Hammer bullet loads further after studying some of the information/experience posted on this forum regarding Hammer bullets. I'm not suggesting you will get better accuracy but you might benefit in terminal performance by using a lighter Hammer bullet.