Hammer Hunter vs Absolute Hammer Velocities

Thanks snox801,thats what I needed to hear.
I have an 8 pound jug of Reloader 10 and will order some 97 gr and 99 gr.
I had a load for 123 gr Hornady bullets but the velocity was not there.
Do you remember the amount of Re10 you used?
Thanks

Thanks snox801,thats what I needed to hear.
I have an 8 pound jug of Reloader 10 and will order some 97 gr and 99 gr.
I had a load for 123 gr Hornady bullets but the velocity was not there.
Do you remember the amount of Re10 you used?
Thanks

I do as always start low and work up. I ended up with 28.8gr in starline brass. Seems lapua or hornady you can get more but start lower on your ladder and work up. I had a huge node that went to 30gr but only gained a slight FPS over 28.5 and 28.8 shot a great group. I will play with it more after my trip.
If a gas gun you will more than likely need a adjustable gas block. As rl10 will pressure sooner than xbr. I would order only the 97gr unless you ha e a bunch of xbr. Mainly because I see no gain in the 99 over the 97 except the ease of loading. Or if you don't want to play with a gas block the 99 is the way to go.

Thanks snox801.I asked to know where to start.
I have a 6.5 Grendel AR with a 24 in barrel but am getting a bolt rifle in 6.5 Grendel and will work up from about 25.0 gr.
I have experienced super quick pressure spikes so I won't go crazy.
I have not seen XBR in the last 2 years so all I have is Re10 but do have some RE15 and 15.5 as well as several others

I just got approved and put together a Form 1 6.5 Grendel SBR with a 12.7" 8 twist McGowan barrel. I have a pretty good stockpile of 123 ELDM's that have shot very well in each of my other 3 6.5 Grendel barrels, and will likely use them for general shooting and Messing around with steel out to 500 yards or so with this gun. Because I'm expecting to only get around 2300 with these bullets at this barrel length, I have been considering going with something lighter to pick up some speed since this will only be a 300 yard hunting gun, reducing the value of higher BC, and have other rifles better suited for longer distances.
That gets to my question. I have been looking at hammer bullets based on the exemplary reviews posted here, and am trying to decide between the 85 Hunter and the 97 Absolute. If the absolutes can get within 50fps or so of the 85s, they win at all ranges, but this will only be possible if they live up to their design Intent of running significantly faster than like weight bullets. If the normal velocity relationship I see between Different weight bullets in the Grendel holds true then I am looking at 120ish FPS difference, and the 85 is the winner.
If anyone has any data comparing lighter hammer hunters to slightly heavier absolutes, that would be very helpful. The other thing to take into account is I have AR Comp, H322, and Benchmark that would be suitable for these bullets and would like to be able to utilize one of the three. I Understand the absolutes typically like faster than normal powder for a given bullet weight so I'm not sure I would see the advantages with these powders. I have some VV N110 but I would think that would be way too fast even for the Absolutes.
Thanks in advance,
Cole
In my 20" Grendel AR I max out at 2844 with the 99 grain Hammer Hunters and so far (still in development) I'm at 2961 with the Absolute Hammer with room to spare. I think I will get really close to 3000fps if I want to.

I'm going to see if I can get close to 3000 with the 109 AH in my 20" Grendel.
Be sure to let me know what works and what don't work.
The rifle I am getting won't come in until the middle of January so I have some time.
I could use the AR but our weather is bad right now and no one wants to get out in this weather.

The rifle I am getting won't come in until the middle of January so I have some time.
I could use the AR but our weather is bad right now and no one wants to get out in this weather.
Will do. I got the 123s to 2700+, so I'm guessing 2900-3000 should be attainable with the109s.

If you wanna keep it simple do the load work in the ar then double check in bolt. My ar's pressure out in the same spot with the 99's as my bolt but with 97 I can get much more out of the bolt even though it's a 16". So after I burn up all my bolt load only rounds they will all be the same load that works in my ar as it's the safest option and I don't need the extra speed for my bolt. But you will easily break 3k with the 97 in a 18-20" barrel.

That sounds like a great idea snox801.I will just work up with 98 gr Absolute bullets and leave the 99's for another time.
The bolt action Howa rifle 22 in barrel should be here in a few days and I will try to get some 97's on the way today.
I will break the rifle in with some factory ammo I have somewhere so it will be ready for the warmer loads.

That sounds like a great idea snox801.I will just work up with 98 gr Absolute bullets and leave the 99's for another time.
The bolt action Howa rifle 22 in barrel should be here in a few days and I will try to get some 97's on the way today.
I will break the rifle in with some factory ammo I have somewhere so it will be ready for the warmer loads.
Mine started as that. I had twisted cut and flute the barrel at 16" and flute bolt for quick pack or truck gun. Swfa 2-10 on top. Nice little rig.

Recent Posts