Hammer Hunter vs Absolute Hammer Velocities

264MHC

I just got approved and put together a Form 1 6.5 Grendel SBR with a 12.7" 8 twist McGowan barrel. I have a pretty good stockpile of 123 ELDM's that have shot very well in each of my other 3 6.5 Grendel barrels, and will likely use them for general shooting and Messing around with steel out to 500 yards or so with this gun. Because I'm expecting to only get around 2300 with these bullets at this barrel length, I have been considering going with something lighter to pick up some speed since this will only be a 300 yard hunting gun, reducing the value of higher BC, and have other rifles better suited for longer distances.
That gets to my question. I have been looking at hammer bullets based on the exemplary reviews posted here, and am trying to decide between the 85 Hunter and the 97 Absolute. If the absolutes can get within 50fps or so of the 85s, they win at all ranges, but this will only be possible if they live up to their design Intent of running significantly faster than like weight bullets. If the normal velocity relationship I see between Different weight bullets in the Grendel holds true then I am looking at 120ish FPS difference, and the 85 is the winner.
If anyone has any data comparing lighter hammer hunters to slightly heavier absolutes, that would be very helpful. The other thing to take into account is I have AR Comp, H322, and Benchmark that would be suitable for these bullets and would like to be able to utilize one of the three. I Understand the absolutes typically like faster than normal powder for a given bullet weight so I'm not sure I would see the advantages with these powders. I have some VV N110 but I would think that would be way too fast even for the Absolutes.
Thanks in advance,
Cole

Last edited:
I've only looked into 7mm and 308 bullets, so cant help you with anything specific to the Grendel. But generally 7mm and 308 seem to be consistently achieving between 100 & 150fps. Reportedly the smaller calibers are achieving better results. Lighter + extra stability is almost always the right answer for Hammer's, IMO.

Lots of good info here:

So with those powders the 97 is out.
I push the 99's with xbr and they are simply amazing on game. I've taken a crap load of deer hogs and audad and some sika.
Nice and flat. If you try the absolute you need Rl10x so you have room in the case. But that being said I got just shy of 3k with no pressure in a 16". My at needs a adjustable gas block as rl10 opens the bolt to fast and messes up my brass.
I would try the 85's and run a normal powder or find some rl10z

I just got approved and put together a Form 1 6.5 Grendel SBR with a 12.7" 8 twist McGowan barrel. I have a pretty good stockpile of 123 ELDM's that have shot very well in each of my other 3 6.5 Grendel barrels, and will likely use them for general shooting and Messing around with steel out to 500 yards or so with this gun. Because I'm expecting to only get around 2300 with these bullets at this barrel length, I have been considering going with something lighter to pick up some speed since this will only be a 300 yard hunting gun, reducing the value of higher BC, and have other rifles better suited for longer distances.
That gets to my question. I have been looking at hammer bullets based on the exemplary reviews posted here, and am trying to decide between the 85 Hunter and the 97 Absolute. If the absolutes can get within 50fps or so of the 85s, they win at all ranges, but this will only be possible if they live up to their design Intent of running significantly faster than like weight bullets. If the normal velocity relationship I see between Different weight bullets in the Grendel holds true then I am looking at 120ish FPS difference, and the 85 is the winner.
If anyone has any data comparing lighter hammer hunters to slightly heavier absolutes, that would be very helpful. The other thing to take into account is I have AR Comp, H322, and Benchmark that would be suitable for these bullets and would like to be able to utilize one of the three. I Understand the absolutes typically like faster than normal powder for a given bullet weight so I'm not sure I would see the advantages with these powders. I have some VV N110 but I would think that would be way too fast even for the Absolutes.
Thanks in advance,
Cole

@264MHC I was able to ring 2700+ out of the 123 gr Absolute Hammer in my 6.5 Grendel with a 20" barrel using Shooter's World Tactical Rifle powder, and still never found max. I believe my 8 twist barrel wasn't exactly a perfect 8 twist, as I started having stability issues with about 40 rounds down the barrel, so I switched to the 109 Absolute Hammer. I am hoping to get real close to 3k with those.

I'm in the process of working up a few loads in 6.5 Grendel and 97 gr Absolute Hammers with Power Pro Varmint Powder.
I have Reloader 10 and if I can't get good velocity with the Power Pro Varmint I will get some more Absolute Hammer bullets and try the Reloader 10.
Way too cold and too much snow to try any time soon though.
Am hearing about good velocity out of 109 gr AH and 123 AH as well.Have not tried Tac with AH yet

I have indeed run both. I ran the 99 a lot over 100 pigs and several Audad. Mix in a bunch of deer and I have a hood handle on it. 99 works best with a full case of xbr and can be pushed to the high 2700's with 18" barrel.
The 97 I'm still playing with but it was harder to find a powder that was dense enough to use to get enough in the case to make more speed than the 99.
I ended up with a full case of rl10 which full is good and it is faster burning than xbr. So I was able to get 3k out of my 16" bolt with the 97 my AR required a gas block adjustment and was able to get the 97 up to just over 2900fps with a barrel about 20 rounds down it so once broke in and some more playing I may get very clause to 3k and it's very accurate. Taking it to Texas next week with a few hundred load and gonna take on some pigs.

Anyone try Tac powder for any 97 gr or 109 or 123 Absolute Hammers?
Think it would end up like xbr. It shows 100 percent capacity with a 100gr cup core so I doubt you would be able to get enough in the case to make any speed. That's how I found rl10 it showed 85 percent fill with 100gr cup core and I have a full case of it to drive the 97.

I can say I was not impre
@264MHC I was able to ring 2700+ out of the 123 gr Absolute Hammer in my 6.5 Grendel with a 20" barrel using Shooter's World Tactical Rifle powder, and still never found max. I believe my 8 twist barrel wasn't exactly a perfect 8 twist, as I started having stability issues with about 40 rounds down the barrel, so I switched to the 109 Absolute Hammer. I am hoping to get real close to 3k with those.
with my grendel with the 120 class bullets just didn't do enough for me lots of close calls and very little internal trauma from them. When I used the speed and went 100gr class they got to be useful then the hammers are like Santa himself put the magic in that bullet. Never had an audad go more than 30-40 yards when hit in the shoulders. Hole in hole out.

Recent Posts