Hammer hunter vs 215 berger

Quicksilver338

Anybody compare these 2 yet in a big 30 cal magnum? More specifically the 214 hammer hunter but open to any comparison next to a 215 berger. Got a norma improved and wondering if I'm crazy for wanting to try something other than the 215 berger. Ranges will be out to 800 yards as well. Thanks!

Anybody compare these 2 yet in a big 30 cal magnum? More specifically the 214 hammer hunter but open to any comparison next to a 215 berger. Got a norma improved and wondering if I'm crazy for wanting to try something other than the 215 berger. Ranges will be out to 800 yards as well. Thanks!

Most mono's are not ideal long range hunting bullets. If you are going out to 800 yards I would stick with bergers...its not just the lower BC's of the monos, but their ability to expand and perform at lower velocities.

Most mono's are not ideal long range hunting bullets. If you are going out to 800 yards I would stick with bergers...its not just the lower BC's of the monos, but their ability to expand and perform at lower velocities.
HH bullets arent like most monos, at norma improved speeds he should be fine out past 800 yards-- when in doubt, just contact steve

Twist 1:9 so I'll be fine, both will be traveling at 3200fps+ since I"ll be loading with n570 powder. The details are worked out and not the issue, I'm looking for any personal experiences regarding the two. The drop in BC is the only setback I see with the HH bullets, although there has been a post somewhat recently about an elk being taken at 1440 yards with a 338 HH bullet. Some monos don't post the BC numbers as other bullets but the consistency between them makes them more predictable downrange. Going to run with the 215's first but will have the 214HH as backup. First tests will be black bear so it will be a good test for the 215's.

any negative experiences with the 215 running faster than 3100?
No but I'd say your pushing it, I've seen a number of elk hit in the 300-600 yard range starting at 3130 in 10 twist Noslers and they work awesome but you can tell your getting there, still seen a decent percentage of exits but if you shoot a lot of Bergers you can tell your getting there, I would certainly be watchful till your for sure comfortable. At those velocities with the 215 you can run the 230 and not loose anything in your ballistics but keep the velocity a little lower for closer range, if you were talking a 1400 yard elk gun I wouldn't sweat anything but the wind but for an all purpose with a closer range limit it would make me pick shots very careful for a while!!

.....I think I would maybe drop down to the 181 Hammer and run it hard and keep impact speed up. I'll be setting up a 30 Sherman Mag on the 181 and 230 Berger, I'm a huge fan of both Berger and Hammer!!........

It's good to be shooting in a time with so many good choices.

Not many set up 1-9" to accommodate the 214 Hammer, so not going to be a lot of info out there. If I recall Brian (Hammer) used it a bit in Africa with good results.

214 is a little longer, I'd decide single shot, or know how much magazine I was working with first.

I've been playing with the 214 Hammers in my .300 win mag. I have an 8 twist barrel and I've got to keep them up around 3000fps for best accuracy. I would think higher velocity would be great with them out to 800 yards. I can make hits easy out to 700 yards with them even in 10-16 mph winds. I know the 215 Berger has an excellent reputation but I had issues and decided that the hammers were a better fit for me. There was a thread on here not to long ago about a young lady taking a cow elk with a hammer bullet at well over 1000 yards.

I have used the 215 Hybrid in a 1 in 10 and now a proof carbon 1 in 9 barrels and love them they just plain work from 100 yards and out to 1000 on game all 1 round and down, on moose bear brown and blacks, boos along with wolves. I was a 210vld user but when the 215s came out I tryed them and have tryed nothing but them in my 300 wm for steel or game

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.