Hammer hunter vs 215 berger

The 199 would work well for you I bet. mtmuley
any negative experiences with the 215 running faster than 3100?
i am running 3150 with 215s with my 300 Norma and there haven't been any problems. I took a nice Buffalo @ 500 yards last year in New Mexico. The bullet performed excellent.

I've been playing with the 214 Hammers in my .300 win mag. I have an 8 twist barrel and I've got to keep them up around 3000fps for best accuracy. I would think higher velocity would be great with them out to 800 yards. I can make hits easy out to 700 yards with them even in 10-16 mph winds. I know the 215 Berger has an excellent reputation but I had issues and decided that the hammers were a better fit for me. There was a thread on here not to long ago about a young lady taking a cow elk with a hammer bullet at well over 1000 yards.

What issues did you experience with the 215's?

Anybody compare these 2 yet in a big 30 cal magnum? More specifically the 214 hammer hunter but open to any comparison next to a 215 berger. Got a norma improved and wondering if I'm crazy for wanting to try something other than the 215 berger. Ranges will be out to 800 yards as well. Thanks!
What s your twist rate ? 181 for 1 in 10.

Anybody compare these 2 yet in a big 30 cal magnum? More specifically the 214 hammer hunter but open to any comparison next to a 215 berger. Got a norma improved and wondering if I'm crazy for wanting to try something other than the 215 berger. Ranges will be out to 800 yards as well. Thanks!
I just asked this question to Allan Rovig at McWhorter Rifles. He said they have shot the Hammers into 20% ballistic gel at Barbour Creek at distance and they do not open and create near the hyrdostatic shock cavity that the Bergers do.

I just asked this question to Allan Rovig at McWhorter Rifles. He said they have shot the Hammers into 20% ballistic gel at Barbour Creek at distance and they do not open and create near the hyrdostatic shock cavity that the Bergers do.

What issues did you experience with the 215's?

I believe Elkeater is out trying to fill an early cow tag today so I'll chime in. On our antelope hunt last October, he shot a doe at 200 yards. The 215 Berger did not penetrate the chest cavity and instead just blew a large hole in the animal. It required a second shot to put it down. I know he has a post somewhere on here with a picture or two about the problem. Shot placement was just behind the shoulder.

Last edited:
Between the two you gave, 215 berger all the way.

I run a 1:9 for the 215 because I had apparent bc deviations in the winter months at 70ft asl.

I would think if you do run the hammer a 1:8 would be better unless you are a good ways above sea level.

I have a few very good pieces of advice from my 1,000 yard shooting days.
#1, no matter what anyone else has told you; shooting any slug over 185 grain long distances in a 1:10" twist is not good. I shot 190 grain Sierra matchkings regularly. I found that out when I shot an experimental load with 200 grain slug (sierra MK's) at 1,000 yards; I missed the mountain the target was attached to. I also learned that 1:10" should never be used for a slug over 190 grains. Now with these new VLD's I have come to realize that any slug over 180 grains should be shot through a 1:8" twist. I personally would go with 1:7" if they were made.
#2, shooting longer ranges such as 600 yards; just use a 1:8" twist barrel for any slug. I put together a good hunting rifle for a friend and he did not specify a 1:10" twist, I ordered a 1:8" twist and his gun out shoots my 1:10" with the same slugs/loads. my 300 win is getting a new barrel; this time with a 1:8" twist.
#3, opinions vary from person to person. I accept that. my personal preference is to use a twist that does not have the words "Marginal stabilization" after the ballistic calculator works out how stable the slug is at 600 yards and 3/4" muzzle velocity.
just my opinion, do with it what you wish.

I believe Elkeater is out trying to fill an early cow tag so I'll chime in. On our antelope hunt last October, he shot a doe at 200 yards. The 215 Berger did not penetrate the chest cavity and instead just blew a large hole in the animal. It required a second shot to put it down. I know he has a post somewhere on here with a picture or two about the problem. Shot placement was just behind the shoulder.
Do you happen to know how fast he was pushing the 215 on that antelope hit?

My issues with Bergers has been them penciling through the animal and not expanding / fragmenting. Anyone who has read any of Broz's threads on the Bergers he specifically states that he takes a pin drill to the tips of every bullet before loading them. I take this a step further and trim the meplats first and then pin drill the hollow points and problem fixed. I won't use them on game unless I do this.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.