Hammer Hunter test 300WM Questions

staghunter

I'm trying the 180 gr Hammer Hunter in a Savage 116 Bear 22" barrel and 1:10 twist. I started at the below data at 200yds. I have not found pressure yet but my deviations are dropping as I go up in powder. You can cover these 4 shots with a quarter. Two questions, Steve says these bullets like a partial filled case but by the time I find pressure I'm compressed. Any thoughts? And I see my SD's coming down the same in my PRC. Is this due to getting close to pressure or barrel heat or getting close to a node.
79gr - 2790
80gr - 2859
81gr - 2896
82gr - 2903 B617400C-A353-4DCF-8AED-7CC474BAE54A.jpeg

B617400C-A353-4DCF-8AED-7CC474BAE54A.jpeg

My experience with Hammers shows they prefer 90+ % case fill. Two of my best loads are lightly compressed. Lower SDs is common as you get near full pressure, then they start to get wonky and accuracy may deteriorate rapidly. Once you find pressure, drop back 1 grain and shoot groups. You may be very pleased!
A whole grain? I'm about to start a load work up is the reason I ask.

Most cartridges I load are moderately large. 60grs up to over 100grs. Most agree a 1% reduction in powder after finding pressure is prudent. If you are down in the 45-60 gr range. 1/2 grain reduction works.
Ok so the 1% number still works. For the first rifle it will be 40-45 grains is my guess. Thanks for the info

My experience with Hammers shows they prefer 90+ % case fill. Two of my best loads are lightly compressed. Lower SDs is common as you get near full pressure, then they start to get wonky and accuracy may deteriorate rapidly. Once you find pressure, drop back 1 grain and shoot groups. You may be very pleased!
I'm already pleased as punch. Just going to go further to see what happens and find pressure. I think I'm close. Thanks for the feedback.

That situation calls for a faster burning powder. It's hard to give up on an accurate load, but I suspect you are looking for more speed. I've had great results with the 181 HH using StaBALL 6.5 and Reloder 16.

I use a stout load of compressed H1000 under the 181 HH for great accuracy and well over 3000 FPS (don't know exact charge weight and velocity at the moment)

what game will you be hunting with the load on a yearly basis and to what range do you normally take the game?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^X-2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^