Hammer Hunter Load Data, (See page 1, Post 8)

GLTaylor

OK, folks. Steve at Hammer Bullets has been getting requests for load data on Hammer Hunter bullets.

There is an extensive spreadsheet for Absolute Hammer Load Data developed and shared by members on this Forum.

Data for Hammer Hunters is on the Hammertime Forum, but it has not been placed into a spreadsheet for easy reference.

In the next few days, I will be posting Hammer Hunter data in another spreadsheet on this Forum. After it is posted you will have info for both style bullets in basically one location.

Once the new spreadsheet is posted, PLEASE REMEMBER THAT LOAD DATA AND PROCESSES FOR LOADING HAMMERS AND ABSOLUTES IS VERY DIFFERENT!!!!!!

Before loading either Hammers or Absolutes, please read the information/guidance on the Hammer Bullets webpage!

Stay tuned for further developments.
G

Really appreciate your work on these.
Helpful information to have.

Running 77gr H1000 behind a 177 HH in 28 nosler. For 3050 fps. In a 26" proof 1:8. 2500' elev and 75 degree temps.

Seems slower than what most people are running but i hit pressure at 79gr

Just recieved some 155s i am going to experiment with this year so i will be looking forward to others results.

The 177s took 3 elk and a muley buck last year from 250-750 yds with great performance on all.

Thanks again

I think we can do exacy like the Absolute Hammer post, just on the Hammer Hunter (this) post.

I will keep the spreadsheet at the first of this post. Add your info and I will move it to the spreadsheet just like before.

Thanks.
G
Really appreciate you doing this and helping everyone with some solid data.

Steve's Opening Reminders:

The Hammer Hunter line is our long range or high bc line of bullets. This was the original line of bullets. These bullets all have 1.5mm hollow point and are typically 60%-70% weight retention. There is no drop off in terminal performance from the Shock Hammers. The only difference that we see on game is the Shock Hammer will open up slightly quicker. As time goes on we are learning that the extra shed weight of the Hammer Hunter is great aid in terminal performance with the several larger shed petals creating their own wound channels around the main retained shank wound channel. We designed the Hammer Hunter with the 1.5mm hp as it was the smallest that we could get reliable expansion. We tried 1mm hp but it would not always do what we wanted on game. Failure is not an option.

Our loading procedure: Always load with caution and never start with a stated max load from anyone or anywhere.

A reputable ammunition loading manual should be consulted for load development using a particular powder. Always follow good loading practices outlined in your loading manual. Our PDR design will tend to have less pressure due to less bearing surface contact with the bore. We recommend looking for a powder showing fairly high load density for similar weight bullets, but not compressed. We like to use powders that show a 90-95% load density with conventional bullets of the same weight. This will leave some room for the longer copper bullet and for the lower pressure possibly needing a bit more powder to get to pressure. We also recommend using a magnum primer to start ignition more quickly in order to seal the chamber as the bullet enters the bore. This is more important with larger cartridges and definitely magnum cartridges. Use of a chronograph to watch muzzle velocity compared to similar weight bullet velocity listed in loading manual will aid in load development. Muzzle velocity should not exceed max load velocity listed for similar weight bullets listed in loading manual. Muzzle velocity is an indication of pressure. Always watch for known pressure indicators such as heavy bolt lift or ejector marks on brass as well. We have found that Hammer Bullets are not sensitive to seating depth. Seating to mag length for repeating rifles or just off the lands will generally work very well without need to adjust for better accuracy. If we can reach the lands we like 20 thou off as a starting point.

Load development should be easy. Find your seating depth, choose your powder and primer, use start load data and work up your load to desired velocity, sight it in, and have fun hitting it with a Hammer.

OK, here is the Hammer Hunter Load Data I have.
Please review your loads. There is a bit of needed info missing

***NOTE: THE HAMMER HUNTER DATA HAS GOTTEN SO LARGE IT IS NOW SPLIT INTO TWO DATA SHEETS.

Post 2/27/2024
G

Last edited:
243 Savage Storm
22" bbl 1-9.25 twist
2.710" coal
Cci 250 primers
80gr hammer hunter
Hornady brass
49gr rl 26 @ 3400 fps
~1" groups

I tried a few things to tighten this up but not real luck (various charges, neck tension, crimps etc). The only thing left is to seat deeper and with my luck this would be one of the few times that adjusting seating depth would help hammers!

Same load shoots 80gr ttsx into .5-.7" consistently for what that's worth.

I have some additional ladder data for the hammers with imr 7828ssc, rl16 & 6.5 staball if it would help anyone.

I've got quite a few for you. I'll start with these:

7 STW, 26" CarbonSix barrel, 1:8 twist
Nosler brass FL resized 0.002 shoulder bump, Lee FCD used (factory specs), CCI 250 primer

177 Hammer, 73.9gr RL26, 3.700" COAL, 3026 fps, ES 21, 0.146 moa

143 Hammer, 82.9 gr RL26, 3.695" COAL, 3538 fps, ES 16, 0.122 moa

More to come..........