Hammer Hunter Load Data, (See page 1, Post 8)

Ok, guys, I need a little advice. I'm working on a load for my Remington Semdero 7 RUM. Here are the specs:

143g hammer hunter
Virgin ADG brass
Federal 215m primers
N570 powder
3.850" COAL

Steve recommended I start at 94 grains, so I did and used that to zero my scope. Then I attached the magnetospeed and shot in 1 grain increments looking for pressure. Here's the specs of my range session.

93° with calm winds
All shots were fired at 100 yards with magnetospeed attached

95 grains - 3338 FPS
96 grains - 3385 FPS
97 grains - 3398 FPS
98 grains - 3463 FPS
99 grains - 3476 FPS
100 grains - 3548 FPS
101 grains - 3617 FPS
102 grains - 3653 FPS
103 grains - 3714 FPS

I still haven't found really good signs of pressure. There's absolutely no stiff bolt lift or no ejector marks on the brass. The only thing I'm seeing is slightly flattened and cratered primers, but all my Remington 700s have cratered primers. I stopped at 103 grains because I ran out of daylight. But also because I'm already 233 FPS over book max for a 140 grain nosler bullet, so I'm getting a little nervous. Where do y'all suggest I go from here? Should I keep increasing in 1 grain increments until I find definitive signs of pressure? Or should I just back down to 101 or 102 grains and shoot for groups? I'm just not sure what to do.
I'd stop, your almost against it where tour at

Ok, guys, I need a little advice. I'm working on a load for my Remington Semdero 7 RUM. Here are the specs:

143g hammer hunter
Virgin ADG brass
Federal 215m primers
N570 powder
3.850" COAL

Steve recommended I start at 94 grains, so I did and used that to zero my scope. Then I attached the magnetospeed and shot in 1 grain increments looking for pressure. Here's the specs of my range session.

93° with calm winds

95 grains - 3338 FPS
96 grains - 3385 FPS
97 grains - 3398 FPS
98 grains - 3463 FPS
99 grains - 3476 FPS
100 grains - 3548 FPS
101 grains - 3617 FPS
102 grains - 3653 FPS
103 grains - 3714 FPS

I still haven't found really good signs of pressure. There's absolutely no stiff bolt lift or no ejector marks on the brass. The only thing I'm seeing is slightly flattened and cratered primers, but all my Remington 700s have cratered primers. I stopped at 103 grains because I ran out of daylight. But also because I'm already 233 FPS over book max for a 140 grain nosler bullet, so I'm getting a little nervous. Where do y'all suggest I go from here? Should I keep increasing in 1 grain increments until I find definitive signs of pressure? Or should I just back down to 101 or 102 grains and shoot for groups? I'm just not sure what to do.
Holly cow man maybe I should have keep her LoL 🤣 awesome man!!

With no pressure signs I'd run a group@ 102 and see how it does
Hey Bean, Hope you dont mind if i ask you a question. I Have a 6.5-300 Bee it shoots 127g LRX like a Lazer, but i still want to try some HH124g and 129g. absolutes. I understand that the Hammers work better with a faster Powder. My question is What Powder do you recommend and where do i start?

Thank you, I am an old Rookie and need help Fed-Well

Hey Bean, Hope you dont mind if i ask you a question. I Have a 6.5-300 Bee it shoots 127g LRX like a Lazer, but i still want to try some HH124g and 129g. absolutes. I understand that the Hammers work better with a faster Powder. My question is What Powder do you recommend and where do i start?

Not bean, but I run the 124 hammer hunter out of my 6.5-300bee with ram shot lrt

I would think H4350 or somewhere in that range would be a good starting point

Alright, I loaded up 5 rounds at 102 grains today to see how they would group. Naturally, I shot terribly. On two shots, I flinched right before the shot broke, and as a result I have two fliers. The other three shots felt perfect and made one ragged hole. Here's a pic of the target.

85C5E88F-BC35-4E98-AC9F-F726885AA134.jpeg

I thinks the three shot group shows what the rifle and load are capable of. Now I have to get my sorry *** in shape. The whole 5 shot group is .928 MOA and the three good shots are .349 MOA. I've only tested the velocity on one round and it was 3653 FPS. I'd like to shoot 5-10 more over the magnetospeed to get an average velocity, and then go shoot at distance to get my drops.

All in all, it took 14 rounds to find my load and I couldn't be happier.

143g hammer hunter
Virgin ADG brass
Federal 215m primers
N570 powder
3.850" COAL

93° with calm winds

95 grains - 3338 FPS
96 grains - 3385 FPS
97 grains - 3398 FPS
98 grains - 3463 FPS
99 grains - 3476 FPS
100 grains - 3548 FPS
101 grains - 3617 FPS
102 grains - 3653 FPS
103 grains - 3714 FPS

If you have'nt hit pressure no need to stop. You might bump up in .5 gr increments now instead of whole grains. Thats what I'd do. All mine were 3 to 4 grains over book max and way faster before I hit pressure.

Alright, I loaded up 5 rounds at 102 grains today to see how they would group. Naturally, I shot terribly. On two shots, I flinched right before the shot broke, and as a result I have two fliers. The other three shots felt perfect and made one ragged hole. Here's a pic of the target.

View attachment 288238
I thinks the three shot group shows what the rifle and load are capable of. Now I have to get my sorry *** in shape. The whole 5 shot group is .928 MOA and the three good shots are .349 MOA. I've only tested the velocity on one round and it was 3653 FPS. I'd like to shoot 5-10 more over the magnetospeed to get an average velocity, and then go shoot at distance to get my drops.

All in all, it took 14 rounds to find my load and I couldn't be happier.
That's Awesome , Nice trigger work

Recent Posts