Hammer Hunter Load Data, (See page 1, Post 8)

This is my first post on here and I had trouble finding a starting load but I did find pressure. Here's my contribution to the spreadsheet.

All charge rates were shot using my brand new 0 rounds fired and to break in my 26" 1:9 300nm. I used retumbo, 199HH, virgin lapua brass (no prep), cci lrm, and 20 thousandths jump for all loads listed below. I was also shooting at 2500ft and it was a 75* day. I also followed proofs break in procedure, shoot 3 clean, shoot 3 clean, shoot 5 clean

my buddies chrono is a cheaper one but usually reliable and I found it odd the velocities were a little stagnant for several charge rates unless the node was really that big but it's the data I've got. I'll be shooting for groups this weekend (7/24 or 7/25)

80gr - 2930
81gr - 3009
82gr - 2911 (I think the chrono messed up)
83gr - 3030
84gr - 3037
85gr - 3030
86gr - 3100 (very faint ejector Mark)
87gr - 3167 (light ejector Mark)
87.5gr - failure to fire twice (bad primer)
88gr - 3228 (light ejector Mark)
88.5gr - 3267 (ejector smear, heavyish bolt lift with a click at the top, primer cratered)

88.5 was definitely a little hot but really liked the velocity. I plan on shooting 5 at 87.5, 5 at 88 for groups this weekend and I'll report back.
Your all over It Bud

I have a 28 Nosler and was going to try the 177 HH as well, that looks to be a dang good load, when I get mine in I plan to follow it with H1000. Very nice trigger control, awesome. What is the ES and SD on this load?
Just wanted to follow up. Ran 10 more through. ES 19 SD 5.47 had two speedy ones at 3144 & 3149 otherwise all were 3130-3140 most right in middle 3135, 3136. Was cooler out about 70 degrees.

Just wanted to follow up. Ran 10 more through. ES 19 SD 5.47 had two speedy ones at 3144 & 3149 otherwise all were 3130-3140 most right in middle 3135, 3136. Was cooler out about 70 degrees.
Very nice, when I get some time I am going to try those in my 28 Nosler, I have H1000, Retumbo, RL33 and N570. I will probably use H1000 at first then maybe N570 to see how fast it will send it.

124 HH
6.5 WSM
26" Shilen 1in8"
0.023" off lands
Ramshot Magnum, Fed 215M, WW 270 WSM brass resized and partially neck turned
charge weight/ave vel/ES/SD/group size (for 5 shots) @100 yards
66.0/3284/195/90/0.82
66.5/3251/47/18/0.84
67.0/3266/130/57/0.93
67.5/3294/49/24/0.57
extractor marks at 68.0Gr

124 HH
6.5 WSM
26" Shilen 1in8"
0.040" off lands
H1000, Fed 215M, Norma 270 WSM brass resized, not neck turned
charge weight/ave vel/ES/SD/group size (for 5 shots) @100yards
65.5/3298/47/17/0.58
66.5/3358/67/26/0.96

Last edited:
"Splat Factor"

There's been a lot written about the "splat factor" of various Hammer bullets here and in the Hammer Forum. This got started with the experiments done on multiple animal species in Australia. Great stuff! (Hammered Downunder)
Well, not to be outdone, we also have some "splat factor" here in the States!
On Tuesday afternoon I was working on loads for my 6.5 Sherman Max (between rain showers). As luck would have it, a Huge horsefly lit on my target. I thought, this will never happen again - why not ?!?
There has also been quite a bit of discussion on best stability factor (2 or more preferred) for reliable penetration and no tumbling while the bullet travels through tissue and bone. Velocity and twist have been discussed at great length.
Well, it appears that a horsefly is no match for an 85gr Hammer Hunter at 3952 fps. Note also that the "splat" is nicely round, indicating a centered hit and no tumbling as it penetrated bone, hide and tissue!
What'ya think?
G

Attachments

• 20210720_201816.jpg
    20210720_201816.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
"Splat Factor"

There's been a lot written about the "splat factor" of various Hammer bullets here and in the Hammer Forum. This got started with the experiments done on multiple animal species in Australia. Great stuff! (Hammered Downunder)
On Tuesday afternoon I was working on loads for my 6.5 Sherman Max (between rain showers). As luck would have it, a Huge horsefly lit on my target. I thought, this will never happen again - why not ?!?
There has also been quite a bit of discussion on best stability factor (2 or more preferred) for reliable penetration and no tumbling while the bullet travels through tissue and bone. Velocity and twist have been discussed at great length.
Well, it appears that a horsefly is no match for an 85gr Hammer Hunter at 3952 fps. Note also that the "splat" is nicely round, indicating a centered hit and no tumbling as it penetrated bone, hide and tissue!
What'ya think?
G
I love it, Awesome trigger work GL

"Splat Factor"

What'ya think?
G
Ain't nothing left for the freezer 😂

"Splat Factor"

What'ya think?
G
Those high shoulder shots will destroy a lot of meat. Lol.