Hammer Hunter Load Data, (See page 1, Post 8)

The load density on Nosler is only true at SAAMI COAL.

Nosler FAQ:
Load density is a calculation of case capacity versus powder bulk density. Case capacity is measured by taking a piece of firedbrass, filling it up with water and then loading a bullet into the case neck at the tested OACL listed in Nosler's Reloading Guide #7. The weight of water left in the brass after the bullet has been seated is the case capacity. Powder bulk density is how many grams of a particular powder fit into one liter.

We load beyond SAAMI COAL in most cases so the Nosler load density data is a greater than actual as result. The bullet is seated longer which increases case capacity thus load density under the bullet is decreased.

30-378 wby magnum
26" barrel 1:10 twist
196 grain hammer hunter
3.770 COAL
111.5 grains vv24n41
3200 FPS
.63 moa

I need to keep playing with COAL to shrink the groups. I plan on shortening the COAL in .020" increments to see what's best.

I didn't see anyone list loads for the 45-70 so here is what I used to drop a bull moose in Maine with my 18.5" Marlin 1895:

42.0 RE7 in a Starline case with a Fed 210M primer under a 402gr SH bullet.
Velocity is 1,710 with an SD of 9. Groups varied between 1" and 1.5" at 100 yds. Groups remained under 3" at 200yds.
Nice on the Maine Moose. I've been putting in for that tag for years. Unit 7 I hunted with my Dad about 7 years ago. Savage Model 99, 358 Winchester was used.

Nice on the Maine Moose. I've been putting in for that tag for years. Unit 7 I hunted with my Dad about 7 years ago. Savage Model 99, 358 Winchester was used.
Love my 358. Most underrated cartridge there is. Never shot anything as large as moose with mine but everything I have shot has died REALLY fast and I don't have to look for it.

I put in for a Maine tag and New Brunswick tag for 20years, never hit. Last year I did get the NR Bull tag and was successful. I won't live long enough to hit again so I'm just enjoying the moose meat with family & friends.