Hammer Hunter in 308

What is suggested minimum velocities on some of the HH's. Where should someone be concerned that's shooting at longer ranges. Being a solid is harder I'm just wanting to be careful as to not push outside minimum velocity. I know it's a broad question but maybe some examples the experienced can suggest.
That would be for Steve to answer as where I limit myself I will have no worries

What is suggested minimum velocities on some of the HH's. Where should someone be concerned that's shooting at longer ranges. Being a solid is harder I'm just wanting to be careful as to not push outside minimum velocity. I know it's a broad question but maybe some examples the experienced can suggest.
Steve can you chime in? @RockyMtnMT

I tried Shooters World Precision because in this powder crisis that is all they had. Bought 8 pounds and so far it has not made me happy.

Thought it would be like Varget, but so far, not so much. Pressured up pretty fast with the 152s.

Steve can you chime in? @RockyMtnMT
We test all of our bullets down to 1800fps for proper terminal performance. We have neve tried to see how low our bullets will go. Once we have good impacts at 1800fps or lower we stop testing. It is the only place that we inflict our opinion on our customers. We feel that 1800 fps is a good min for standard high power cartridges, for good clean kills. The 152g Hammer Hunter would be one that I would stay inside the 1800fps threshold. High sectional density bullets open up easier at lower velocities. The 152g Hammer Hunter bullets is one of tougher ones at low vel. When in doubt about our copper alloy we use the 152g HH as a test bullet knowing that if it opens well at low vel all the rest will.

Neither all lead, nor all copper is created equal in terms of hardness.

Minimal to no expansion in "hard cast lead" bear protection handgun ammo is almost standard thinking.

Seeing firsthand the scrap pile of material that didn't make the cut, in Steve's garage was a major point in my willingness to give all copper bullets another try.

Manufacturing techniques such as swaging (Barnes) also work harden at inconsistent rates in my opinion.

My recollection the "OriginalBarnes" were pure lead and copper, I know they're soft", and generally heavy for caliber,

The HP on the Hammer has also evolved larger. Sucks for BC, but makes terminal performance reliable in lower ranges, and as yet no upper limit has been found. offsetting this by running lightweight to 4000 fps makes for as ButterBean says a "game changer".

Blowing shoulders of large bovines with projectiles a third the size of what was previously considered standard is real.

Work on HP depth is ongoing.

Ive been hardcore, esbigger calibers, heavy for caliber bullets has been my position for 4 decades, but occasionally an old dog learns something new.

Neither all lead, nor all copper is created equal in terms of hardness.

Minimal to no expansion in "hard cast lead" bear protection handgun ammo is almost standard thinking.

Seeing firsthand the scrap pile of material that didn't make the cut, in Steve's garage was a major point in my willingness to give all copper bullets another try.

Manufacturing techniques such as swaging (Barnes) also work harden at inconsistent rates in my opinion.

My recollection the "OriginalBarnes" were pure lead and copper, I know they're soft", and generally heavy for caliber,

The HP on the Hammer has also evolved larger. Sucks for BC, but makes terminal performance reliable in lower ranges, and as yet no upper limit has been found. offsetting this by running lightweight to 4000 fps makes for as ButterBean says a "game changer".

Blowing shoulders of large bovines with projectiles a third the size of what was previously considered standard is real.

Work on HP depth is ongoing.

Ive been hardcore, esbigger calibers, heavy for caliber bullets has been my position for 4 decades, but occasionally an old dog learns something new.
Shonuff

Recent Posts