Hammer hunter bullet close range performance?

I shot a buck in the neck at 20 yards. Left a golf ball sized exit hole. Dropped the buck in its tracks.

I don't think my issue was whether they would penetrate/exit but rather would they simply pencil through with little damage.
Ok, I've not really heard of any close range issues with any monolithic bullet before--- long range, yes as some monos don't expand down to as low of a velocity as lead cores do. Maybe someone has, but I don't think it's a common problem. Usually at close range the issue is over expansion and loss of weight but that's with lead core (cup/core) bullets.

That's pretty much why people use expanding monos is for weight retention/penetration at closeer ranges as every one i have seen has expansion pedals yet still retains either all its mass or a lower base - but then some mono bullet companies ( like hammer) have gone a step beyond and developed bullets that have a larger expansion window than the "old school" monos

What is interesting is that Barnes touts that its tipped bullets are for a better expanding bullet-- but when tested in media side by side with the hp/ non- tipped version the non tipped expanded more than the tipped versions. Thats why I like hammers, they always expand as long as you follow Steve's minimum expansion suggestions, they usually shed pedals and the base travels through and through.
But there will always be the exception to the rule as a bullet is only perfect until fired.

What you are describing was a perfect shot. The bullet mushroomed, transferred ALL its kinetic energy into the animal and killed it. Maybe you and your wife should calm down in the bush and have a little more patience, no offence. We used to say in the old days give animals respect and time to die. Time for one cigarette. The buck will lay down and die. IT WORKS EVERY TIME. If you go all crazy and start chasing him, adrenaline builds in his system and he runs. I've learned my lesson early when I shot a moose. He ran 50 yards and laid down. I chased him, he stood up and ran another 400 yards before dying. Good luck hunting.

What you are describing was a perfect shot. The bullet mushroomed, transferred ALL its kinetic energy into the animal and killed it. Maybe you and your wife should calm down in the bush and have a little more patience, no offence. We used to say in the old days give animals respect and time to die. Time for one cigarette. The buck will lay down and die. IT WORKS EVERY TIME. If you go all crazy and start chasing him, adrenaline builds in his system and he runs. I've learned my lesson early when I shot a moose. He ran 50 yards and laid down. I chased him, he stood up and ran another 400 yards before dying. Good luck hunting.
I'm gonna have to disagree, It don't work every time, I've seen many animals lost by very skilled hunters over bullet failure, If I had a chance for a second shot I would have most defiantly taken it, This is one of the big advantages of the Hammers, They just work, near or far you get the same results

I disagree. This deer ran 20 yards with literally not one drop of blood. 4 years ago my wife had the same thing happen but a almost bad outcome. She shot at a buck while it was jogging (definitely shouldn't have shot). Anyways, I came to her stand an hour later to help her look for the buck. We went to where he last stood and nothing. No hair or blood just tracks. We followed the tracks for 50 yards until we couldn't see tracks anymore and had no clue where it went. We circled around with a friend for 30 minutes and no blood nothing so we said ok she must have missed. Well her nephew was on the way down to meet us and when he got to where we were he said I see something white in the bushes next to you guys. Sure enough it was her buck. What he saw was the tail barely sticking out and the only reason he saw it is because he was up hill a good 75 yards and could look down into the bush. Had he not came and saw it we would have thought she missed and that buck would have gone to waste. I'm not saying this will ever happen again but because of that I always want an exit to give better chance at some sort of sign of blood.

My experiences with Hammer Hunters has been excellent. Killed 23 deer in the last 3 years. Shots from 40 - 351 yds. Pass throughs on every shot, all broadside to quartering. Used 243 AI, 6.5 CM, 25-284, 6.5-06AI, so it's a pretty good cross section. Bullet wts from 83-130 grs. No complaints whatsoever. Excellent performance and minimum meat destruction!
Looking forward to seeing how the Absolutes perform - if the deer would cooperate😏

178 grain absolute hammer out of 300 wm, 3230 muzzle velocity. Shot was about 150 yardsView attachment 229169

entry was in front of his right shoulder

Tip broke off as designed, 2 petals weighing a total of 10 grains exited shoulder after breaking it
View attachment 229177View attachment 229186
bullet travelled through chest the long way, diagonal, destroyed both lungs and the liver, exiting in front of his left hip, leaving a wide wound and heavy (but short) blood trail. I would estimate the bullet was traveling at 3,000 FPS at the point of impact.
View attachment 229189View attachment 229191
This was a mature Wisconsin whitetail, likely in the 200 pound class dressed weight. Went about 30 yards after impact.
Could you share your powder and brass for the 178 absolute hammer. Also to compare did you ever load the 215 Bergers or 208 eldm.

Thanks

Could you share your powder and brass for the 178 absolute hammer. Also to compare did you ever load the 215 Bergers or 208 eldm.

Thanks
It's in the Absolute Hammer thread on the reloading page. I'm running Peterson brass, and 74.5 grains of H4350 with Fed 215 primers. Speaking of accuracy, after load testing, when zeroing in at 200 yards this load produced a 5 shot group that was a little under 0.4 MOA

Thanks
There is no comparison between the Hammers and the Bergers or any other bullet on the market, The Hammer Bullet is a complete game changer, they are in a league of their own

There is no comparison between the Hammers and the Bergers or any other bullet on the market, The Hammer Bullet is a complete game changer, they are in a league of their own

The question was to see if my barrel could reach the same speed with the 178. Meaning if we were matching speeds with the 215 or 208, then the speed with the 178s was achievable. Looking ay my notes, i was hoping for 3400 fps.

I've been taking game with hammers for 3 years. I know the pros and cons. They have their place just like the 215 and 208s

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.