Hammer Hunter 146 in .284

Mark37082

i was a little hesitant to start another Hammer post. Well I guess I will give in and ordered a box of HH146 for a 7RM. I have 9.5 twist and website states 10 minimum. What I find perplexing is the HH143 recommends 9.25 or faster. I have been under the impression that heavier bullets usually require faster twists. So why would the 143 require a faster twist than the 146?

From Their Website;

I will be changing the name of the Heavy Hammers to Hammer Hunters. They are for all intents and purpose the same. They are bullets that we came up with for customers that had slow for caliber twist rifles. The goal here was to make as heavy a bullet as we could that still has the 1.5mm hollow point and still get as much bc as we could and maintain proper stability for good terminal performance. They typically have shortened boat tails and more baring surface to increase the weight to length ratio.

Generally speaking, a longer (no necessarily heavier) bullet requires a faster twist. I believe that the 143 HH is longer than their 146 HH bullet. Actually, the 146 HH "looks" like a SH bullet and not a HH bullet. I wonder if it is mislabeled.
The length of the bullet is the correct answer

i was a little hesitant to start another Hammer post. Well I guess I will give in and ordered a box of HH146 for a 7RM. I have 9.5 twist and website states 10 minimum. What I find perplexing is the HH143 recommends 9.25 or faster. I have been under the impression that heavier bullets usually require faster twists. So why would the 143 require a faster twist than the 146?
The 143g HH is longer for it's weight than the 146g HH. So stability is calculated by bullet weight / bullet length / to twist. So the longer a bullet is for how much it weighs the more twist it needs to be stable. Like a short fat top will spin with less rpms than a tall skinny top that weighs the same.

From Their Website;

I will be changing the name of the Heavy Hammers to Hammer Hunters. They are for all intents and purpose the same. They are bullets that we came up with for customers that had slow for caliber twist rifles. The goal here was to make as heavy a bullet as we could that still has the 1.5mm hollow point and still get as much bc as we could and maintain proper stability for good terminal performance. They typically have shortened boat tails and more baring surface to increase the weight to length ratio.
I need to do this, but I am always afraid to change the name of a product because those that have been using it will be alarmed.

Generally speaking, a longer (no necessarily heavier) bullet requires a faster twist. I believe that the 143 HH is longer than their 146 HH bullet. Actually, the 146 HH "looks" like a SH bullet and not a HH bullet. I wonder if it is mislabeled.
Not mislabeled. We designed the 146g HH to be as heavy as we could make and still have the 1.5mm hollow point of the Hammer Hunters and still stabilize in a 10" twist. It has a shorter nose, longer baring surface and nearly flat base in order to gain the weight.

Given the seemingly limited utilization of this particular pill, I am wondering if I made a mistake in buying it. I probably should have gone with a lighter HH for my 9.5 twist 7RM. I don't have much experience with mono's. I have typically gravitated toward heavier bullets that would stabilize in my rifles. I'm going to give them a try today. They definitely have a shorter nose. The COAL is considerably shorter when loading 20 thousandth off the lands. I'm not going to go long range today. I'm just going going to run a 10 shot ladder to see if I can find a flat spot in velocity. I am using IMR 4350 and splitting the difference between the 140 and 150 gr Nosler recommended loads. We'll see if this works.

Given the seemingly limited utilization of this particular pill, I am wondering if I made a mistake in buying it. I probably should have gone with a lighter HH for my 9.5 twist 7RM. I don't have much experience with mono's. I have typically gravitated toward heavier bullets that would stabilize in my rifles. I'm going to give them a try today. They definitely have a shorter nose. The COAL is considerably shorter when loading 20 thousandth off the lands. I'm not going to go long range today. I'm just going going to run a 10 shot ladder to see if I can find a flat spot in velocity. I am using IMR 4350 and splitting the difference between the 140 and 150 gr Nosler recommended loads. We'll see if this works.
How far are you shooting ?

Generally I am limited to 400 - 500 yards where I hunt. Range shooting to 600 is occasionally available. Will be at the closest range which is limited to 100 yds until I can check velocities with powder on hand (imr4350, 4831, H4350, Retumbo are in the range I am considering)..