Hammer Hunter 131 280AI Pressure

To be honest I never noticed the 308 cratering until now, I checked Hodgdon website and for 168 they have a max load of 46 grains and velocity of 2667, I'm at 44.1 grns and am at 2669 (rem 700 26" barrel 1-12, Hodgdon data using 24" barrel and 1-9)) I thought I was good until I checked the max velocity, I just assumed I would be fine 2 grains below max
Don't worry about the primers

To be honest I never noticed the 308 cratering until now, I checked Hodgdon website and for 168 they have a max load of 46 grains and velocity of 2667, I'm at 44.1 grns and am at 2669 (rem 700 26" barrel 1-12, Hodgdon data using 24" barrel and 1-9)) I thought I was good until I checked the max velocity, I just assumed I would be fine 2 grains below max
I think your 308 is fine also. I don't see any signs of pressure on that case. I have a Remington 700 300WM LR that will crater the primers on every case, no matter how low the charge weight is. My wife has a Remington 30-06 that does the same thing.

I have similar experiences in my .280 AI with Nosler brass. And its almost impossible to find Peterson brass in that caliber.
It's fixable but it cost $300 for a K&M neck reamer/turner kit. Since I shoot a couple of 7mm's I had to justify it on that. It's not easily justified, lol... tight necks are the other issue.

One thing about ackley cartridges and it was by design, is to hold on to walls of the chamber more than the parent cartridge. This reduces bolt thrust and case stretching. Downside is your primers dont show high pressure marks as a reliable indicator of max load. I have 3 ackleys but my 6mm ackley will loosen primer pockets till the point of falling out and yet the shot primer cup shows very little pressure.

You can choose to ignore the primer cratering if you wish, but the reality is it's brass flow. Primers are made from cartridge brass, the thickness in some cases is twice that of a cartridge neck, they are not thin. Things flow towards the path of least resistant, in this case perhaps it is into the firing pin hole of the bolt. I cant think of a situation when using gun powder that chamber pressure does not correspond to velocity and your .308 VL compared to the published book max is there regardless of your charge weight.

There is nothing magical about any bullet that allows it to override the laws of physics, but its rumored that tight chambers at or near zero head space can hide visual pressure signs typically used for identification. Shoot safe and good luck with your 280AI.

You can choose to ignore the primer cratering if you wish, but the reality is it's brass flow. Primers are made from cartridge brass, the thickness in some cases is twice that of a cartridge neck, they are not thin. Things flow towards the path of least resistant, in this case perhaps it is into the firing pin hole of the bolt. I cant think of a situation when using gun powder that chamber pressure does not correspond to velocity and your .308 VL compared to the published book max is there regardless of your charge weight.

There is nothing magical about any bullet that allows it to override the laws of physics, but its rumored that tight chambers at or near zero head space can hide visual pressure signs typically used for identification. Shoot safe and good luck with your 280AI.
Nobody said the word magic, Are you shooting any Hammers ?

And I'm not accusing anyone of saying the word magic, that was I. No I do not shoot Hammer Bullets I am still working my way through conventional bullets. But I certainly would if I had some.

And I'm not accusing anyone of saying the word magic, that was I. No I do not shoot Hammer Bullets I am still working my way through conventional bullets. But I certainly would if I had some.
Now that we have that clear and you have no experience with Hammers let me say this and I mean no offense, Keep working your way through conventional bullets and stay safe. While We appreciate your response on primer cratering it does not apply here as Hammers use a completely different reloading practice and procedure and you will need to clear your mind to grasp it, If you want some Hammers it's easy peasy, order some and you will have them in 3 days, Once again no offense intended