Hammer Comparison Test

My simple mind thinks this.

Compare a hammer to the same caliber, same ish weight competitor. Same cartridge. 2 guns. Barrel twist should yield approximately the same SF for each pill.
Load each up till you find max pressure.
Then compare speed and accuracy, drop, drift, terminal performance, in ranges brackets of 0-499, 500-999, 1000-etc etc

IMO, With TODAYS available options, no single pill will win every category.
But I think there will be an obvious winner for each range bracket.

My simple mind thinks this.

Compare a hammer to the same caliber, same ish weight competitor. Same cartridge. 2 guns. Barrel twist should yield approximately the same SF for each pill.
Load each up till you find max pressure.
Then compare speed and accuracy, drop, drift, terminal performance, in ranges brackets of 0-499, 500-999, 1000-etc etc

IMO, With TODAYS available options, no single pill will win every category.
But I think there will be an obvious winner for each range bracket.
Agreed. Eldm and hammer are apples to oranges.

CEB Lazers to hammers is a better test.

I think if you want to do it right you need an independent tester.

Speed, wind drift, BC/drop, expansion (lazers open to 1200fps), accuracy.

It's a hard comparison if someone wants to do it right.

The alternative is to tackle one aspect. For example expansion. I'd love to see a head to head expansion with CEB, LRX, HH in a .284. Start with a 28 nosler at 50 yards going stupid fast, then work your way to a 7mm-08 at 500 yards with a lower powder charge and try to get your fps down closer to 1200fps and see what the bullets all look like. That test does not exist as far as I know and would be very telling.

Last edited:
But we are not comparing fruit.
I have no problem comparing hammer to eldm. Pick 225 eldm and 227 HH.
Shoot them to max pressure in 2 barrels with a twist that results in the same or close stability. See which one leads the category in each range bracket.

Also. tune ability should be a category.

What about
I have thought it would be interesting to compare the 195g to the 143g Hammer Hunter out of the 28 Nosler. Not sure if there is much point in doing gel comparison though. Unless the 195g works differently than the 215g.
I think it would be a cool comparison, simply because of the huge differences in weight and muzzle velocity. It would show people what light and fast truly is capable of compared to heavy and slower. Like a test at 500 yards. And then a test at 1000 yards. Do the results stay the same? That'd be awesome to see first hand.

We definitely know that light and fast is violent and very deadly with a high impact velocity. But if everything is based solely off impact velocity, that point alone is voided at about 500 yardish depending on the caliber and bullet. So it would just be cool to take them beyond that, where the impact velocity is now potentially much slower (due to BC) than the competitor and show that is still holds its own!

Hammers are badass killing machines. No question. But are they 1000 yard killing machines of any given caliber? I just like the 1000 yard benchmark since it's a long range hunting forum. And frankly anything 600 and closer is pretty easy to kill consistently with any bullet. 1000 yard steps it up a notch for sure and you need a lot of forgiveness in the load and the bullet on your side.

25 cal 90 grain absolute hammer or 92 hammer hunter vs 100 ttsx, 110 accubond and 100 partition. I'm being picky but it would be awesome to see them out of a 257 weatherby to compare integrity in high velocity impacts.
It would also be cool to see the 30 cal lever hammers vs traditional roundnose lead in a 30-30.

Do you have a link to the testing and results between the 215 Hyb and the 199 HH?
Gel Test Data part 2 is the thread.

Used to shoot a ton of old school Speer 308 180 bt-sp and 200 hc-sp (flat base). Not quite as slippery as more recent ELD bullets but still good. I would imagine the 7mm 160 grainers would make a good comparison.