Hammer Comparison Test

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
We recently did a gel test of the 308-cal 199g Hammer Hunter compared to the of the King of the hill long range 30 cal bullet. In this test we shot them sxs at long range to compare wind drift as well. We want to do another comparison test in the near future. What competitor would you like to see us compared to sxs? I would like you all to pick the competitor bullet and we will pick the Hammer Bullet to run against it. I would like to compare bullets that can run in typical factory twist rifles. It will be relevant to more people than running comparisons of bullets that can only be run in custom rifles. I would like to compare to the "high bc" bullets that are for long range hunting. You know, the ones that Hammers can't compare to because our bc's aren't high enough. I guarantee that I will post the results as they happen. Good, bad, or ugly for either the Hammer or the competitor.

I think we whipped the 30 cal King, so thinking 7mm might be a good place to go now.

Here's my own personal 30 cal comparison shot out of my rifle with my own loads and with trued BC's out to 1000 yards. The 181 Hammer and a 225 ELDM. Hammer holds the impact velocity out to 500 yards. 50% more wind drift. A slight edge in drop at distance, 3-10%.
View attachment 413978

And my 7mm personal comparison with my own loads and trued BC's at 1000 yards. 169 Hammer and 195 EOL berger. Very similar to the 30 cal test.
View attachment 413979

Just my view point. Shoot hammers if you want deeper penetration and if you want higher impact velocities out to about 500 yards. Also a little less drop.

Shoot high BC lead if you care about not having 50% more wind drift & higher impact velocities PAST 500 yards. And quite a bit more "energy" but I don't focus on that much.

I shoot them both, and have killed animals with both. Both bullet types have 1000's of kills to their records. They both obviously work very well. I think they are terminally comparable, and ballistically uncomparable for long range. Meaning 1000 yards.

I don't think you can or should "pick on" other brands or bullets. We do A LOT of comparisons in the field ourselves as well, with unbiased analysis. The numbers and stacks of animals (from both bullets) don't lie. I think people should shoot what fits their needs and wants 🤷‍♂️.

I am curious what bullets you guys would pick to stack against those 30 cal and 7mm bullets that I chose though!

Last edited:
I don't think you can or should "pick on" other brands or bullets. We do A LOT of comparisons in the field ourselves as well, with unbiased analysis. The numbers and stacks of animals (from both bullets) don't lie. I think people should shoot what fits their needs and wants 🤷‍♂️.
For 6.5 I'd like to see
147 ELDM
Lots of those comparisons don't always come with direct observation that can be shared for critique. It's a difficult task.

People should definitely choose based on needs and wants, however shaping those desires requires comparison.

Whoever does testing puts in a lot of work, and the field is wide open for those wanting to share "unbiased" testing and filming.

Technology for measuring wind more completely evolves. Our firing solutions are often based on art over science. Found this one the other day that piques my interest.

250 gr Super Bulldozer II in 338 vs 246 HH. In the process of a 338 Mega build.

Here's my own personal 30 cal comparison shot out of my rifle with my own loads and with trued BC's out to 1000 yards. The 181 Hammer and a 225 ELDM. Hammer holds the impact velocity out to 500 yards. 50% more wind drift. A slight edge in drop at distance, 3-10%.
View attachment 413978

And my 7mm personal comparison with my own loads and trued BC's at 1000 yards. 169 Hammer and 195 EOL berger. Very similar to the 30 cal test.
View attachment 413979

Just my view point. Shoot hammers if you want deeper penetration and if you want higher impact velocities out to about 500 yards. Also a little less drop.

Shoot high BC lead if you care about not having 50% more wind drift & higher impact velocities PAST 500 yards. And quite a bit more "energy" but I don't focus on that much.

I shoot them both, and have killed animals with both. Both bullet types have 1000's of kills to their records. They both obviously work very well. I think they are terminally comparable, and ballistically uncomparable for long range. Meaning 1000 yards.

I am curious what bullets you guys would pick to stack against those 30 cal and 7mm bullets that I chose though!
I have thought it would be interesting to compare the 195g to the 143g Hammer Hunter out of the 28 Nosler. Not sure if there is much point in doing gel comparison though. Unless the 195g works differently than the 215g.