Hammer bullets

Load development took three shots. Might be a little slow but I'll take it.

Forgot to mention this is. 1 in 7.5" twist
9C8873FE-2488-44D7-A2C8-0C8C005AB74B.jpeg

Last edited:
Literally took me 7 rounds to develop a load in my 7mm Rem Mag with 143 Hammer Hunters. I bracketed my 145 LRX load, which was 64.8gr RL23. I shot 64,65,66,66.5 with my mag speed, 65 and 66 touched at 200 yards. Loaded 65.5 and shots 5-7 produced 0.939" 200 yard group.

20200811_134707.jpg

Shot 3 more with the mag speed and got 3220, 3216 and 3217. Sub 2 inch group at 300, my stickers are 2".

20200811_134614.jpg

That's with the mag speed attached. My 66.5 went to 3272 with no pressure signs but my goal was 3200 fps. Can't argue with it. Now to verify drops and be done with load dev.

The bc thing again. It varies depending on the tightness of the bore. We see some rifles that run with higher bc than expected and some with lower and then once in a while one comes along that tanks the bc like the bullet is being shot backwards. It has to do with the tangent ogive and the fact that we cut the bullets .0005" over caliber. We do this to ensure sealing the barrel so that we still have great accuracy in loose bores and the radius drive bands (PDR) don't cause excessive pressure in tight barrels. We are currently working on a new ogive design that eliminates the engraving forward of the shoulder. We are almost settled on a design, just need to do a little more testing on a couple more variations of the design. This design will be a bit lighter for caliber than the current Hammer Hunter for the given twist, but we are seeing a significant increase in vel. In our 280 ai test rifles and 150g bullets we are seeing about 300 fps higher vel than expected for a conventional 150g bullet. Hoping to have some time to test in the next couple of weeks.

The bc thing again. It varies depending on the tightness of the bore. We see some rifles that run with higher bc than expected and some with lower and then once in a while one comes along that tanks the bc like the bullet is being shot backwards. It has to do with the tangent ogive and the fact that we cut the bullets .0005" over caliber. We do this to ensure sealing the barrel so that we still have great accuracy in loose bores and the radius drive bands (PDR) don't cause excessive pressure in tight barrels. We are currently working on a new ogive design that eliminates the engraving forward of the shoulder. We are almost settled on a design, just need to do a little more testing on a couple more variations of the design. This design will be a bit lighter for caliber than the current Hammer Hunter for the given twist, but we are seeing a significant increase in vel. In our 280 ai test rifles and 150g bullets we are seeing about 300 fps higher vel than expected for a conventional 150g bullet. Hoping to have some time to test in the next couple of weeks.
I hope your working on a 25 cal version of the new design ;)

Maybe 1894C doesn't know BC can and does vary in different barrels. Maybe he lacks experience.

Seems about right on this forum. Disagree with the Hammer Fanclub and you must he inexperienced. Strange that no one recommends a hornady interlock as a LR bullet but hammers with a comparable BC, are more than acceptable, they are recommended.

Again they are very good hunting bullets, but when they start showing up at my PRS and F class matches then we can talk about their long range capabilities being near their competition.

Seems about right on this forum. Disagree with the Hammer Fanclub and you must he inexperienced. Strange that no one recommends a hornady interlock as a LR bullet but hammers with a comparable BC, are more than acceptable, they are recommended.

Again they are very good hunting bullets, but when they start showing up at my PRS and F class matches then we can talk about their long range capabilities being near their competition.
Target bullets are coming soon...