Hammer Bullets

@PredatorSlayer

At what range are you typically killing big game animals? IMO there is a small percentage of hunters that make shots on animals beyond 600y. There are a few elite hunters that take game at 1000y plus. It would be good to have a clarification of where you are in your ability and hunting success. What is your chosen cartridge for long range hunting? What bullet has worked best for you? What bullet have you used on game beyond 1000y, on game, that did not perform to your expectations and why? Your input here could be very valuable.
I practice every other weekend out to 1250 and have killed animals (deer and elk) out to 1050. Coyotes a little further. I just switched from a 300 rum to a 6.5 PRC, but have had several long range rifles - 7mm wsm, 7mm RM, 300 wby etc. Bergers and Amax have been my go to for long range. I loved the 215 berger in my rum. I have ventured into the mono world one time briefly while I lived for a short time in california. I loaded the LRX and wasn't thrilled with it. Hammers are brought up all the time on here, so I have been trying to decide if it is something worth trying. I don't think my motivation to experiment is driven by failures of bergers as much as it is to see what all the fuss is about.

I just read through the thread you are referencing - ELD-Ms and X's are considered long range bullets which is what the OP was asking about in there. Also not surprising they are talked about so much because hornady loads them in their nicer factory ammo.
Yes ELD-M and X's are talked about a lot in that thread. I actually use some of those bullets. I pointed out that those bullets are talked about in that thread when the OP was not asking about those bullets. Just like people are saying hammer supporters bring up hammer to much and push hammers when it's not asked about. I think it's pretty common and not just hammer bullet users that do that
My point To that was everyone talks about what works well for them

Last edited:
Oh geez, Rich - are you the one that was claiming that everybody that shoots lead core bullets was going to get lead poisoning and die? Thats why are you are pro mono and anti lead core bullets? We may have had some back and forth before now that I think about it.

Consistent with your attack on Hammer Bullets from other threads, you make up stuff about my posts, too.

@PredatorSlayer

I should add. Do you have multiple kills and photos to back up your claims?

Sure, but I am not sure what evidence a photo is going to provide that I can shoot? I am not into videoing my kills like some guys - thats really the only way to back up long range hunting ability isnt it?

I guess I could provide some references of hunting buddies? Lol. This has taken a weird turn....

I hunt Utah, Idaho and Wyoming mostly, so long shots are common. Lets speak in hypotheticals until I get you those references. Lets say I am capable of killing game at 1000 + yards and will take advantage of those opportunities over 600 when I have an opportunity. Assume I am better than your average 600 yard hunter. Would you recommend your bullets?

Last edited:
Consistent with your attack on Hammer Bullets from other threads, you make up stuff about my posts, too.
Is that not you? I could be wrong - maybe you arent the lead poisoning guy....my apologies. I'll have to go look that up now:). I am trying to figure out where your animosity is coming from...lol.

Last edited:
I have been researching the cutting edge bullets as well. BCs are higher and like was mentioned in an earlier post, I am not sure why they don't get the same love and attention as the hammers do. They seem to be designed to work the exact same way with the BC advantage going to cutting edge.

I actually switched over to the Hammers from Cutting Edge after having erratic long range performance with Cutting Edge bullets. I was getting random fliers and shots which would seemingly drop out of the sky at around 800 yards. I'll admit though that I only used the MTH and MTAC line and never the Lazers. I got these results in multiple 7mm, 338 and 375 rifles with different twist rates and rifling styles. I stumbled on to Hammer Bullets while looking for a better long range bullet to use in a 338 SnipeTac that would be more consistent than the CE bullets I was using in the other 338s and 375s. The Hammer bullets worked so well in my 338 SnipeTac pistol that it's the only bullet I use for LR target shooting (1200-1800 yards) with that gun.

I have done a lot of very informal and not very scientific bullet testing which included a bunch of different Hammer bullets as well as Barnes, Cutting Edge and Nosler E-Tips. When shot into the same material (wet leather in my tests) the Hammer bullets performed as well or better than the other mono bullets tested, but were more accurate and more forgiving when it came to finding an accurate load. Once you factor in the time and money saved by finding an accurate load faster (especially in very large cases with limited barrel life) the Hammers represent a pretty good value in a consistent and accurate bullet. In my experience it can be significantly more difficult to find a really accurate load with Barnes and Cutting Edge bullets which just wastes time, which I just don't have enough of to waste.

I do most of my big game hunting with a revolver, so I haven't shot anything bigger than a coyote with any of the Hammer Bullets I load. I have worked up loads in 11 different chamberings using various Hammer Bullets though and it's the only bullet loaded in my hunting rifles these days. I just prefer to use a handgun whenever possible, so I don't shoot a lot of critters with the Hammers (until they start making a .475" handgun bullet......). I guess I can't offer you much advice on how Hammers will perform on game, but I can assure you that if you're happy with how the Cutting Edge bullets perform on game, you wouldn't be disappointed with any of the Hammers.

Last edited:
Is that not you? I could be wrong - maybe you arent the lead poisoning guy....my apologies. I'll have to go look that up now:)

I use copper bullets because I don't want lead in my food. You added the part about me saying everyone using lead core bullet were going to die.

Back to some Hammer experience. I remembered a few minutes ago my 8" twist Pac-Nor would not stabilize the 124 Hammer Hunter. I switched to the 130 Sledgehammers at 3,190 feet per second. On one 330 pound hog the bullet entered necks to the neck on its left side. The bullet and three of the petals exited thirty inches later on the other side.

I use copper bullets because I don't want lead in my food. You added the part about me saying everyone using lead core bullet were going to die.

Back to some Hammer experience. I remembered a few minutes ago my 8" twist Pac-Nor would not stabilize the 124 Hammer Hunter. I switched to the 130 Sledgehammers at 3,190 feet per second. On one 330 pound hog the bullet entered necks to the neck on its left side. The bullet and three of the petals exited thirty inches later on the other side.
Yes!!! I knew it!! Lol.

Sure, but I am not sure what evidence a photo is going to provide that I can shoot? I am not into videoing my kills like some guys - thats really the only way to back up long range hunting ability isnt it?

I guess I could provide some references of hunting buddies? Lol. This has taken a weird turn....

I hunt Utah, Idaho and Wyoming mostly, so long shots are common. Lets speak in hypotheticals until I get you those references. Lets say I am capable of killing game at 1000 + yards and will take advantage of those opportunities over 600 when I have an opportunity. Assume I am better than your average 600 yard hunter. Would you recommend your bullets?
I would. I put myself in that class and I use my bullets. My only reason for asking is this thread has had the demand of Hammer users to provide what I asked you for. Obviously it is a tall order. You have seemed pretty skeptical of those who have their ability to use Hammer at long range. I just want to know where you stand in your expertise and experience that gives you the knowledge to have such skepticism. I can't remember if it was you or someone else that alluded that many of those claiming success with Hammers did not actually shoot them. So far you have stated that you practice at long range and people that know you can vouch for your long range hunting success. You are relatively new to the forum and are pretty much an unknown figure.

I would. I put myself in that class and I use my bullets. My only reason for asking is this thread has had the demand of Hammer users to provide what I asked you for. Obviously it is a tall order. You have seemed pretty skeptical of those who have their ability to use Hammer at long range. I just want to know where you stand in your expertise and experience that gives you the knowledge to have such skepticism. I can't remember if it was you or someone else that alluded that many of those claiming success with Hammers did not actually shoot them. So far you have stated that you practice at long range and people that know you can vouch for your long range hunting success. You are relatively new to the forum and are pretty much an unknown figure.
It wasn't me - I have always chased high bc bullets. So yeah, I am a little skeptical - is it bad to question stuff? To your point I haven't seen anybody throw up specific examples or pictures of animals killed over 600 yards on this thread either...nor does it come up regularly on any other threads. What does come up regularly are Bergers and ELDMs. Also, outside of LRH (which is where I have spent most of my time) your bullets aren't mentioned a whole lot. Its interesting how defensive you and everybody that uses your bullets get. I know the tone of a post is hard to interpret sometimes, but you are coming at a guy who was ready to pull the trigger on some of your bullets a couple weeks ago and decided to do a little more research. I didn't start this thread and I don't have a problem with your product man. I think its great that we have options. After this little back and forth I am inclined to continue to give my money to berger.

What lead me to cutting edge bullets a few years ago is they were the only ones offering an 8mm bullet with a high BC for my 325 wsm.

Last edited:
You are correct about the hammers liking faster twist rates. The .300 win mag I'm running them in is a 8 twist. Perhaps that is also why the BCs have held up for me as well.

So, assuming we want to optimize for the 124gr 6.5 Hammer Hunter. How fast do we go? The rifle I have now is an 8 twist. I have another that I am considering rebarreling to 6.5, probably a Rock Creek Cut 5R barrel. Yes they are both 6.5 CM :rolleyes:

7 or faster still?

Its all relative. Guys kills stuff with partitions at 800 yards, doesn't mean its considered a long range bullet. Generally, long range hunting bullets are sleek VLD types - Berger, SMK, ELDM with high bcs - Am I crazy? I am not saying they won't work, but if we are going to start calling the hammer bullets a long range bullet, we are going to have to start including partitions and regular old accubonds and Aframes etc.

Before this thread, i had honestly never heard anybody tout them as a long range bullet - so this is news to me. Most of what you read about are guys using them out to 500-600 yards. Even guys who shoot hammers have also said on this website that if they shoot over 600 yards they will use bergers or something similar.
I run there 22 cal stuff to 800 yds and 124g 6.5 out to 1100 with no problems. They shoot really well. Atleast when u hit something with them it kills. Unlike some of ur match bullets u mentioned!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.