Hammer Bullets

Use the search function and you'll find a thread I started loaded with pictures and information on the shots.

Quite a few have way more kills than me with the hammers but I feel I have several significant kills.
Show me a bullet that can handle a 3400fps impact...yes impact not muzzle velocity and then punch through 3ft of water buffalo....I'll wait. I've owned it already but I shot 2 aoudad with one shot using the 181. One dropped within 3 yards the other that got hit by the base died within 40 yards.

The bullet B.C's aren't the highest and most know that. Don't see any crying over the Barnes being low or the accubonds

While this is a long range oriented forum this is a hunting forum first.

I dismissed the hammers at first. I believed for my chamber (300-338LMI) anything under 200gr wasn't worth a look. Until I changed my view of my rifle and saw it for the Big game rifle that it was made to be. Not some ELR rifle I take hunting. I think some others should do the same.

Not unlike an earlier post, I have a shelf full of different bullets. I have a bunch of rifles and I like tinkering with them and developing new loads with new bullets.
I also hunt deer a lot and live in a state with a very long season and liberal limits. I am also starting to do some crop damage control this year. I shoot a lot of 6mm and 6.5 mm cartridges as they are my favorite. My self imposed limit is 500yds and most shots are less than that. I am a long term fan of Bergers and Nosler AB and ABLR. I tried the Hammer bullets this year to see what all the fuss was about. I haven't gotten past the Sledge Hammers. I now have them loaded for 2 rifles and will develop a load for my newest rifle which I should get within the next month,
The Hammers do exactly what Steve told me they would and I followed his recommendation as to loading. Loads easy to develop and shoot great in my rifles. Killed 12 deer so far this year and still have almost 3 weeks to go. All pass through with good exit vents. No bullets recovered. Didn't take any photos, but tissue destruction was minimal compared to standard cup and core bullets I've used.

Did I say they shoot well? Group from yesterday attached. From my 6.5C. 6.5-06 Ackley on the way.

Attachments

• Hammer Group.jpg
    Hammer Group.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 144
Part of it is the hammer guys are a sponsor on here. They seem to be pretty reasonable, nice, helpful guys. The members that use them can be annoying and oversell what they are and recommend them when they aren't even relevant to the topic. It is so frequent I have started rolling my eyes now every time I see them recommended.

I have been researching them trying to decide if they are worth the cost for me to try and if they fit my style of hunting. From what I gather the performance and accuracy are really good and consistent at ranges inside 600 yards. What they don't have are high BCs. In fact, in my research I noted several threads where people are saying the listed BCs are significantly over stated - they are probably not for me, but still doing research. Also, seems odd that they are so heavily recommended on a long range hunting site like this.

Bullets:

I am glad to see the talk about the damage done to the animal. I have used a 25/06 with 120 gr. SPBT Nosler over 40 years. Ranging out to 500 yds. Very little damage to the meat. I started with a Nosler Partition 100 Gr. it came apart. Bloodshot the entire side of the deer. The box of bullets had been setting there after 45 years. I have seen over 100 deer taken with 270 with 130 gr Sierra SPBT . Can't use them in California any longer. These deer were hit from a great many directions. Very little bloodshot meat. These animals were shot from 25 yards out about 400 yards.

SSS
Mike

As one person said it is always fun to throw your two cents worth in so here is my opinion. I just started reloading for my newly purchased 300 PRC for an upcoming trip to Africa in April. I have chosen the 199 Grain Hammer Hunter purely based on the opinions and writeups I have seen on this website. I have no real world experience to pull from with these bullets but based on what I have read and from talking with Steve at Hammer, I am confident they will perform just fine as long as I do my part. The load development has been the easiest I have ever attempted. I started with one grain below what I was shooting the 200 Grain Barnes LRX bullets at and the 199's shot into a .75" group at 220 yards with a 79.0 grain load of H-1000. I changed the load to 80.0 grains to give it a try and gain a little velocity and they are shooting into a .5MOA out to 500 at roughly 3091FPS, so I am pretty excited about the upcoming hunt and seeing what these bullets will do. I guess the reason for my two cents worth is I went to Africa two years ago with two friends. I read multiple post and threads on here about not using Berger bullets for African game and had several people where I live tell me I was making a big mistake, blah, blah, blah. I shot four animals with the 140 grain Hunter Elite bullets from a 6.5 x 284 running at 2790 fps. Not a single animal got out of sight and three of the four dropped in their tracks. All animals shot from 60-401 yards. The largest being a beautiful Kudu bull killed at 401 yards and he made it 20 yards before falling over because I had hit him a little far back. My fault, not the bullets. My other two friends also took multiple animals from 75-375 yards and not a single animal made it ten yards from point of impact if they weren't dead right there. We walked away from that hunt thinking Berger's were the best bullets made. I guess the point I am trying to make is everything you read on here is subjective and everyone wants to give their two cents worth, whether they have experience or not. Its fun to be part of the group and part of the conversation. Take a chance and try the bullets like I am, maybe they will work out great and maybe they will not but getting there is half the fun. Every hunt is different, every animal taken is different. If you do your part and put the bullet in the vitals the bullet will perform just fine. When I get back from Africa I will post my findings.

Hammer Bullets are praised on this particular forum. Very seldom being mentioned in other forums.

It seems as if they get suggested by people who have never used them.

How many people hear have physically used hammer bullets to take multiple animals? I don't want to hear about your one animal. I want multiple animal experiences and pictures will be better.
Perhaps if you didn't come off acting like everyone one this page is a liar it'd be a little more inviting to avail some evidence. I have tried four other types of non-lead. Non of them were anything close to as accurate as hammer hunters. The closest one, Barnes LRX consistently had a flyer every 3 rounds. I need better accuracy than that. Every rifle I have is now dialed in using Hammer hunters. I won't shoot any thing else. I hunt deer, bear, and all predators that are legal to hunt. Instead of insulting the forum try some hammer hunters for yourself. Oh and when you call hammer bullets it's very likely the phone will be answered by the owner. His name is Steve. I have called three times. I didn't get an answering machine. Steve answered. The other note worthy subject is the non lead fouling in the other bullets I tried were horrible. Hammers have yet to foul in any of my barrels. The last deer I shot was at 578 yards. A single shot. It walked 30 feet and dropped dead.

I may regret posting this but here goes...

I have never been a fan of mono bullets for a number of reasons. Most of this is from Barnes bullet experiences over the years but others too.
  • engraving pressure
  • low BC
  • possible pencil/terminal performance
  • cost
  • light bullet weights
I find myself considering things that I previously wouldn't or didn't see as a good option. As an example, I swore I wouldn't get on the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon. I've brought in quite a few rifles for friends and others and they are all nice rifles. All of them are very accurate and pleasant to shoot. The turning point was a recent Mouflon hunt where I borrowed one of those 6.5 Creedmoor rifles (a Christensen Mesa) and it just plain worked. So after returning from the trip I find myself the proud owner of a Kimber Classic in 6.5 Creedmoor - but that's a different story. I bring that up because the CM supporters has been used as a comparison to the Hammer bullets. The CM is not the end all be all that many try to put out there but it does work.

Now In looking for bullets for said CM Kimber, I find myself considering solids as that is what I was using in that Christensen. Eating crow on two fronts it seems.

Of the above listed disadvantages I would say that Hammer has killed all but two of those - low BC and cost. A third, the lighter bullet weight I probably just need to rethink a little bit with the added velocity and different performance of the solids. Their design seems to eliminate the engraving pressure. The terminal performance, which is what the OP is asking seems to be outstanding with this design. I'm going to lump the Cutting Edge in here with the Hammers and hopefully that doesn't offend anyone, LOL, ya right. The design that sheds petals seems to be a really good one. I don't recall seeing a failure of either posted though surely anything can fail. The blunt tip left after separation gives a nice deep crushing path with the petals adding damage along the way. No way does a mono "blow up" and even if it dumps the petals early and shallow you still have the main core driving through. The only limit on performance it seems is minimum velocity, which Cutting Edge lists for the linked bullet below at 1200fps, or if they don't open up and pencil through.

To the low BC and inflated numbers quoted. I'm afraid that is just the drawback of a less dense material rather than lead. The numbers Hammer lists are quoted as being calculated from drops which is going to vary rifle to rifle, twist, speed, etc. Honestly, kudos to them for getting as close as they have for a smaller company without the deep pockets to radar verify things like the bigger manufacturers have. I know quite a few, Hornady, Nosler, (not sure on Berger and others) have recently updated BC ratings as new data comes in. Hornady gives multiple BCs with velocity on the ELDs at least, and of course they list the best one in the main listings.

Cost? We can always hope for better but these are lathe turned bullets so that might be asking a lot.

I have never heard anything but positive both from and about the Hammer company and owners. That's a big plus in my book.

I'm debating trying these two for this new rifle.

Hammer Bullets are praised on this particular forum. Very seldom being mentioned in other forums.

How many people hear have physically used hammer bullets to take multiple animals? I don't want to hear about your one animal. I want multiple animal experiences and pictures will be better.
Perhaps if you didn't come off acting like everyone one this page is a liar it'd be a little more inviting to avail some evidence. I have tried four other types of non-lead. Non of them were anything close to as accurate as hammer hunters. The closest one, Barnes LRX consistently had a flyer every 3 rounds. I need better accuracy than that. Every rifle I have is now dialed in using Hammer hunters. I won't shoot any thing else. I hunt deer, bear, and all predators that are legal to hunt. Instead of insulting the forum try some hammer hunters for yourself. Oh and when you call hammer bullets it's very likely the phone will be answered by the owner. His name is Steve. I have called three times. I didn't get an answering machine. Steve answered. The other note worthy subject is the non lead fouling in the other bullets I tried were horrible. Hammers have yet to foul in any of my barrels. The last deer I shot was at 578 yards. A single shot. It walked 30 feet and dropped dead.

I don't see X47 asking for actual results as a bad thing here. He hasn't criticized the bullet or the company just asked for more information and discussion. The Hammer Bullets ARE praised an abnormal amount here on this forum. The analogy to the 6.5 CM is a good one. It seems that there are those here that say "Hammer Bullets" and then fold their arms and walk away like that is the end all be all of the conversation. I don't see posts by Steve of Hammer ever going that way. His responses are very appropriate and appreciated. Rich's Sherman mags are in a similar place. His responses and designs are great but some place a reverence on those that are approaching religion. It stifles discussion and none of those products/designs are perfect. I'm with others here and it is off-putting of me trying this stuff. Especially at the costs associated with the quality. It's not a minor outlay to give them a fair shake.

Are the Hammers that much better than say the very similar Cutting Edge design which is rarely mentioned but looks like is also a sponsor here? They appear to be very similar in at least fundamental theory. Both lathe turned, both shed petals, both have a patented anti-engraving pressure design - different approach to the same problem. The Cutting Edge has some long range wins that are not inconsequential. Some of the Cutting Edge bullets are a better BC (but a $ cost) The tipped designs "might" be better at initiating expansion. Am I going to get flamed for even suggesting this? Does what the other design do take away from the Hammer design? I don't thing it does.

Last edited:
Let's get a few things straight here for the "fan boys" that are saying I or anyone else is sick of the hype.

I asked for pictures and experiences. I have also posted a few threads about the 6mm and 6.5mm hammers only to get very few real world responses. The more I read threads with bullet suggestions, the 124 HH keeps getting tossed around by people who have no experience with them.

This thread was started to see real world experience with the hammer bullets. No I am not going to call hammer for their opinion on their bullets. Why would you call a company ask for their opinion on their bullets? They are in business to sell a product and that is their product. If they didn't haven't faith in their product, they arent going to come out and say " No I wouldn't use them. They aren't that great in our opinion."

So again, I would like to see real world experience with these bullets. This is why this thread was created.

So instead of asking specific questions and concerns to the bullet manufacturer, you would rather ask random people that may or may not have actual experience with them as your "answer"?

I'm not understanding your reasoning, however, that is totally your choice. I just know that Steve would give you answers, even if those answers are not positive for his product.

Give them a chance, I would even be willing to be that Steve would buy them back if you have a negative experience ... who else is going to do that?

Understand, this is from a non-Hammer bullet user.

Good luck with whatever you decide Sir.

Steve

I have.

I also think as many guys here to discuss hunting as much or more than long range shooting? BC is meaningful but is still a number in part of a formula. A few more clicks of the current or a couple of more limbs of the christmas tree.......Long range HUNTING.com. Lots of good threads here search hammer damage "photo heavy" I even caught one... Reported the weights of shank and petals in the other thread. Take it or leave it but here is a photo for you too.

This forum is great and full of supportive, helpful, kind old school real men. View attachment 171205

I am a believer but don't want to push my beliefs. Just trying to help
I have made over 50 kills on deer and hogs with hammer 44,64,73gr 22 cals and there 99,110,124gr 6.5 bullets in many different rifles 22/250,223 wssm,22/6,22/284, 6.5 wsm 6.5wssm,26 nosler! Best hunting bullet i ever shot!

Sacred cow?

So, I have questions about how Berger bullets perform on game - and I do.

I should only call Berger for that information - and I have. But apparently no other information is valid.

According to them (Berger) their hunting bullets penetrate a 2-3 inches and then dump all of their energy. (I'm paraphrasing here so don't hold me word for word). That's it then FACT - they do that every time. Really?

I don't understand the logic here (or lack thereof). From what I've seen Hammer is more likely to shoot you straight but to never question is insane.

You'd have better luck ordering steak in
India or Nepal - I'll take mine medium rare please.

jpndave

I don't believe any bullet will do the same thing everytime and I do not believe any manufacturer will guarantee that either.

You called a representative at Berger, not the designer of Berger bullets. Really? Not even the same analogy.

I'm not saying you can't ask members for information. Be the OP is apprehensive about the product and I just stated it would be wise to ask the designer his questions or concerns.

At the end of the day, his bullet choice has zero impact on my or your life, right? I'm just trying to help him, not argue with anyone.

Have a great day!
Steve

I have noticed a lot of talk about Hammer's as well which to me means they must be a great product especially since guys are saying why they like them so much. I bought a box to try out in my (hopefully soon to be ready) 25-06 AI. A question I have is with regards to badlands precision bulldozer bullets. They seem like a very well thought out bullet that should have better exterior ballistics as they have an aluminum tip to provide better BC. The tip is then designed to drive back into the bullet to initiate expansion. Has anyone tried these? They seem to be a smaller company than hammer but from both companies I was able to get quick email responses to my questions with good information. Once I get my 25-06 AI up and running I plan on getting some to try out alongside the 121 gr HH and the 131 Black jack. Unfortunately I don't have too many opportunities to hunt with rifle and won't get to try them too often on game other than coyotes.

jpndave

I don't believe any bullet will do the same thing everytime and I do not believe any manufacturer will guarantee that either.

You called a representative at Berger, not the designer of Berger bullets. Really? Not even the same analogy.

I'm not saying you can't ask members for information. Be the OP is apprehensive about the product and I just stated it would be wise to ask the designer his questions or concerns.

At the end of the day, his bullet choice has zero impact on my or your life, right? I'm just trying to help him, not argue with anyone.

Have a great day!
Steve
Well said. If being a "fan boy" is defined by seeing results and liking what you see, then I'm definitely a "fan boy" of the Hammers. I took a chance on them last summer in a Weatherby 270 mag 117gr Hammer Hunter and with two 30-378 Weatherby Mags with the intent on finding a better all around hunting bullet. Over the years, I've loaded and shot just about every brand of bullet and I've never had load development any easier than with the Hammers. I load for several friends who also were willing to put them to the test this past season and the results are... Two bull elk, five mule deer and a pile of whitetail all one shot one kill with little to no tracking and no bullets recovered. In the 30-378's and the 300 ultra mag, with shot them (targets only) with exceptional accuracy and wouldn't hesitate with proper conditions to take and animal at that distance. If folks are tired of hearing about the Hammers, I would simply suggest just trying them and see for yourself. No harm no foul.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.