Hammer Bullets

I used them on a trip to Africa and shot nine animals, all one shot kills. The smallest was a springbok and the largest was a seventeen hundred pound Eland. All bullets were pass throughs except for one; I shot a Blue Wildebeest and hit in the upper right chest. The bullet passed through the entire length of the animal and came to rest in the rear hind quarter up against the skin. In short, I'm sold on the product.

Let's get a few things straight here for the "fan boys" that are saying I or anyone else is sick of the hype.

I asked for pictures and experiences. I have also posted a few threads about the 6mm and 6.5mm hammers only to get very few real world responses. The more I read threads with bullet suggestions, the 124 HH keeps getting tossed around by people who have no experience with them.

This thread was started to see real world experience with the hammer bullets. No I am not going to call hammer for their opinion on their bullets. Why would you call a company ask for their opinion on their bullets? They are in business to sell a product and that is their product. If they didn't haven't faith in their product, they arent going to come out and say " No I wouldn't use them. They aren't that great in our opinion."

So again, I would like to see real world experience with these bullets. This is why this thread was created.
Steve with Hammer will give you the powders he tested with specific rounds and bullet weights. He pushes nothing on you. Doesn't try to sell you anything . I've used his info for 4 different calibers so far. Saved me money and time. I've heard the same from others . That's good customer service . No, great. I figure if you haven't tried them then you have no reason to be negitive about them ???

I used them on a trip to Africa and shot nine animals, all one shot kills. The smallest was a springbok and the largest was a seventeen hundred pound Eland. All bullets were pass throughs except for one; I shot a Blue Wildebeest and hit in the upper right chest. The bullet passed through the entire length of the animal and came to rest in the rear hind quarter up against the skin. In short, I'm sold on the product.
Which Bullet and rifle/caliber did you use?

I will throw my experience in, I shot an Leal at 375 yds with 30-06 and 166 hammers. Was good placement so did what any other Bullet would do, was a complete pass thru. They do seem to be easy to load for, BC was a little high from actual, at least in my rifle.

overall, I like them, will be trying them again this year.
What is a Leal ? Have not heard the name. Guessing a type of antelope ?
Thanks

So far I have taken 9 antelope with them, and my son used my rifles last year to take at least 3 more.

1 shot, 1 kill each.
As I have said, if an animal is hit by them they are going to die. Usually that's soon.
Never took a meat damage photo, but also never recovered a bullet as they always pass through. I have seen only 1 or 2 petal pieces recovered.
This comment probably wont be agreed upon by most but it is enjoyable to throw ones 50 cents in the mix. Long before the 30-378 was a factory offered chambering I put one together in a 26lb "target" rifle. I ordered two reamers-one to cut a short throat (no freebore) and the other to cut a throat just a little longer throat also no freebore, for bigger bullets. One barrel shot 180 grns (don't want to mention bullet brand) at 3550 fps and the other barrel with slower twist, shot 125grns at 4075 fps. My daughter shot her first deer with the 180 grn and she was hesitant to shoot due to another deer right behind. I said no worry, send it. Watching with binoculars from 195 yds I saw the deer run like not even hit, but the second deer was laying there dead. The first deer ran 220 yds jumped the fence onto the neighboring farm and died. The deer behind that had dropped, had a 2" entrance hole and no exit hole. I later had a request to help with a farmers deer permit. This time 125 grn Very thin jacketed bullets were used. Shot 6 deer from 150 yds to 488 yds. Two were shot center shoulder. All but one dropped, and it walked slowly for 20 yds and fell over. I was "scolded" by one person in the know that the 125 grn (varmint bullet) would vaporize on the hide and just wound the animal. Actually it exploded under the hide and all of the energy was expelled in the deer. Just showing extremes and how common practices can be viewed differently from time to time.

Hammer Bullets are praised on this particular forum. Very seldom being mentioned in other forums.

It seems as if they get suggested by people who have never used them.

How many people hear have physically used hammer bullets to take multiple animals? I don't want to hear about your one animal. I want multiple animal experiences and pictures will be better.
Never used them as when i find a really good product that has performed well i stick with it until it needs to be changed. I have had wonderful success with heavy for caliber bergers, and barnes tsx and ttsx, at ranges up to 1020 yds on over 100 animals.

Using the 143HH in a 7RM I've taken several whitetail, all bang flops or death within sight of the shot. If you're truly looking for info on Hammers the search button will give you more info (with pics) than you could read in an hour. Passive aggressive attempts to call out supporters of ANY bullet will get you the salty responses we've all seen in this thread. I find it difficult to believe you are really seeking information when you make statements like "over inflated BC" and "not a true LR bullet".

There are numerous people on this forum who either own or work for a bullet company, and even more who get free bullets to talk about them. I find the direct source information valuable if you use a dose common sense and objective thinking. I have literally dang near every bullet manufacturer represented on my bench, mainly because I like to tinker and try new things and Hammer will always have a place.

I use all bullet Manufacturers for playing at Range but use Hammers for serious hunting. 1) I have a Kimber 6.5 Creedmore 4lb 13oz rifle that shoots every reload or factory load at 1-1.5" moa. I finally had the time to try 130gr Sledge Hammer in that rifle. First group was 1/2 at 100 yards @ 2800fps. That was the first 3 shots with a load chosen at random. Im now excited to shoot this rifle again and see what I can work up. 2) I loaded a 270 wby at 3500fps shot a whitetail at 125 yards, bullet blew the heart into shredded hamburger but meat damage was almost zero. 3) I ordered two boxes of .458 405gr Hammers for my 18" marlin guide Gun. I wasn't happy woth load devolvement (Couldnt get above 1600fps) Called Steve up and after a great conversation he had me ship the bullets back for a full refund and then he asked what I would consider an ideal bullet for that gun, he then developed a bullet for me and that gun 270gr that is working out great. I dont think you can find better customer service anywhere. Sorry about being a fan boy and ranting on and on but if you have a gun that has group issues Hammers would be my first try, if you want to do load devolvement in 10 shots try Hammers, if you plan to shoot 0-500 yards start with Hammers. Honestly I like the so much that they are the only bullet Im using for real life hunting. I do still play with other stuff for fun and a 230 Berger with reloader 33 is very sexy but I would be nervous to shoot that inside of 150 yards due to meat damage. I say buy a box of hammers and talk to Steve about how to load them, if you dont like them and thing they are not a viable product Steve will refund your money without a hassle.

I can vouch for the following:

1) Steve will answer email questions regarding bullets/powder recommendations promptly and honestly.

2 ) The Hammer Hunters have been accurate in three of my rifles .

I'm relying on real life experiences of others regarding performance on game. I want a bullet that has complete pass through and is reliable at both short and long range (600 yds). While there is no perfect bullet for all situations, I haven't heard anyone describe short range failures of Hammers like others have described in other common hunting/target/hybrid/bonded bullets, even though rare. I want performance at whatever range arises in a hunting situation up to my long range limit. So far, Hammer bullets are in my starting line up.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts