Hammer Bullets

I saw him at 3:03 pm today . It takes awhile to come out of hibernation . groggy . There's hope :)

Last edited:
I saw him like a 3:03 pm today . It takes awhile to come out of hibernation . groggy . There's hope :)

He told me that he was going to the range this weekend with a few rifles so there's hope that he took mine....then again today was the Superbowl.

I hope that he wouldn't put such a silly thing as the Superbowl before my rifle;)

I practice every other weekend out to 1250 and have killed animals (deer and elk) out to 1050. Coyotes a little further. I just switched from a 300 rum to a 6.5 PRC, but have had several long range rifles - 7mm wsm, 7mm RM, 300 wby etc. Bergers and Amax have been my go to for long range. I loved the 215 berger in my rum. I have ventured into the mono world one time briefly while I lived for a short time in california. I loaded the LRX and wasn't thrilled with it. Hammers are brought up all the time on here, so I have been trying to decide if it is something worth trying. I don't think my motivation to experiment is driven by failures of bergers as much as it is to see what all the fuss is about.
Steve says he recommends 1800fps or more, I shoot the 143hh in my 7rm, at my altitude (by calculations only) they are traveling 1831fps at 1200 yards--personally I would consider that as long range capable

I also shoot the 166's from my 21" 30-06 and my 11yo daughetr shoots the 110's from her 6.5cm--she took a pronghorn doe at 125yards this year, her 1st year hunting and the bullet did not disappoint
in all three rifles, the load development was done in less than 20 rounds, the 7rm and 6.5cm are under 1/2mos, the -06 is just over 3/4
I did try the 166 in my 16" 308 AR and it did OK (1-1.25 moa), but not great so I'm going to try the 155 in it when I get a chance, I also have a 7wsm that I'm going to try a load work up on this year after I get it bedded to the new stock--I like the HH bullets, but for target I use the ELDM's

sorry no pics, I don't prefer to take pics, but I can tell you when the HH bullets hit bone, they just plow on through with tons of tiny bone fragments to add to the destruction

I like what works-- I dont prefer a chevy over a ford over a dodge--I buy the one that has the attributes that i require--Hammer bullets work for me

Both rifle would handle up to the 143g Hammer Hunter with the 9.25" twist. I think in the 7-08 I would run the 131g Hammer Hunter. Fits a little easier in the short action and I like the higher vel in the 7-08. This is the bullet that we run in our 7-08s' at about 3100 fps depending on barrel length. The 143's will run about 3300 fps in the 7 mag.
How much velocity do you gain with your 143 vs a regular cup and core 140?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.