Hammer bullets

My initial loads were around 1moa. 143HH in a 28 nosler. Steve suggested seating deeper. I did a few different depths and stopped when they went under 1/2 moa. Like 12 shots total, but I also did a pressure test with a different powder.

Barrel is a 25" benchmark #3 fluted 8 twist. Sorry but no speed as this was a rush to get a load and go hunting. I was getting 2850 fps with the 130 Accubond with the same powder charge. So I assume the 124 HH is a bit faster. I'd recommend a 6 Dasher for your kids. I'm really liking mine. Absolutely zero recoil with a 22" Benchmark 7 twist shooting 103 ELD-X at 2910 fps. All that with only 32 gr of Varget. It also wears a MBM brake.

I talked with Steve today and came up with using the 152 sledge hammers for my needs. Since my gun likes the 150gr so much to stick near that. And for the 26 Nosler he recommended the 124gr HH. Just gotta get to the bench when my orders come in and get loading!

I drank the koolaid and I've gotta say hammer bullets are the real deal. I kept reading about how well they shoot and how easy load development was. I loaded up 5 or so shells to find pressure, backed off a grain, and my 28 nosler shoots the 143 in less than an inch at 290 yards at 3700 fps. Now I just need to test performance on game. Rifle season opens Saturday here, so if all goes well I should know what they will do no later than lunchtime Saturday!

3700 is fast
Thats also with 5 grains less than my 140 nosler load. I cram 97 grains under a 140 nbt and it is still slower than a hammer hunter 143 with 92.1 grains of same powder (RL33). 93 grains the primers were cratering with bolt lift a little stiff. 94 grains was a definite stiff bolt. Thats how I settled on 92.1 for the 143s. I will say I do like the 140 nosler because when I trim cases to 2.58, I just load them to rim of case with rl33 without weighing and that load shoots!

26" eabco i put on a spare savage action I had laying around. Actually when i hand calculated the load using 100,200,&290 yard drops it came out to about 3800fps. I was a impressed to say the least

The Hammers came in today. Look like some sweet quality made bullets. Anxious to get some loaded up and see what kind of results I can get. Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm sure I'll find a combo that works well with these.

My initial loads were around 1moa. 143HH in a 28 nosler. Steve suggested seating deeper. I did a few different depths and stopped when they went under 1/2 moa. Like 12 shots total, but I also did a pressure test with a different powder.
JJMoody
I have aquired a CA 28 Nosler and read your post on 4-1-15. I want to try the HH143gr and have H1000 and RL33. I am using ADG brass. How much H1000 did you use and what was you seating depth as a place to start. I want to try the hammer with some N570 if it ever gets back in stock.
Thanks SJones

Ended up at 85 grains H1000, 3.478 COAL Nosler brass, in MY rifle, MY brass, MY scale, etc...... (Work up to pressure in YOUR rifle) Started them at some random length that fit the box. It was pretty long. My memory on initial procedure is a bit fuzzy, but it was uncomplicated. I was needing a load fast, with like 2 opportunities to get to the range before elk season started.

Ended up at 85 grains H1000, 3.478 COAL Nosler brass, in MY rifle, MY brass, MY scale, etc...... (Work up to pressure in YOUR rifle) Started them at some random length that fit the box. It was pretty long. My memory on initial procedure is a bit fuzzy, but it was uncomplicated. I was needing a load fast, with like 2 opportunities to get to the range before elk season started.
Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.