Hammer bullets

I only have one Hammer kill and it was much different than what you experienced. Small Cali. buck up close, broadside hit behind the shoulder. I lost minimal meat but boy were the insides jellied. 110 HH 6.5 chronoed at 3400 fps at sea-level. If Steve can get DFW moving the bullet will be on the certified list before X zone opener.
It's already on the DFG approved lift. I'm going to use the 177s for x7a

Yours is my 110 6.5 is not. DFW is working on updating the Hammer list I guess as of just yesterday.
Ironic my wife and I have X7A as well. Haven't hunted it in almost 30 years and then only the south east part. Good luck and hopefully see you in the woods!

Yours is my 110 6.5 is not. DFW is working on updating the Hammer list I guess as of just yesterday.
Ironic my wife and I have X7A as well. Haven't hunted it in almost 30 years and then only the south east part. Good luck and hopefully see you in the woods!
Right on. Look at my profile picture that's the big 3x3 I killed there in 2012. My taxidermist's wife and father in law drew it last year and killed a nice 4x4 and main frame 4x5 with trash all over. If you see a lifted blue Suzuki Samurai with black top and rims. Hit me up.

I will start by saying nice shooting and congrats on the buck.

You can't make our bullets come undone no matter how fast the impact. The are designed to shed the nose. Generally 3 our 4 pieces. We have seen some heavy blood now and then but it is usually in the membrane of the meat and not actually in the muscle itself. This blood can be scraped off and the meat is usable. Meat damage was the reason we got to this point of making bullets. I wish you had some pics of the shoulder. It looks like this buck, because it did not die instantly bled into the exit hole and collected a lot of blood under the shoulder and in the wound channel.

Sometimes weird things happen.

As to the bc. The bc numbers that we have work very well at our atmosphere. Lower elevation seem to have a tougher time. It also will vary fairly dramatically from one rifle to another. Has to do with what the barrel does to the bullet. We are on the wait list for the new Oehler bc calculation system. Can't wait. We really are not worried about what the bc is. Just want to be accurate. We have seen twin rifles show 1.5 moa diff at 1000y. When I spoke with a tech at Oehler they have seen twin rifles show 38" diff at 1000y.

I would say that the longer the bullets get for caliber the closer to 2.0 sg they should be run to get full stability.

I look forward to your next deer.

Shoot em's if you get field checked, explain what the bullets are and be ready to provide 1 for a sample.

Everybody that shoots further than 300 yards?

Not really? Most of long range hunting which is what we are talking about is at what speed will the Bullets not effectively open. Take my .365 AM I shoot the 400gr cutting edge lasers in that currently. They have a better bc than say the hammer 411gr which is getting loaded for now.
So both will be effective way out on game. The cutting edge will require less moa adjustments than the hammer. But that's shouldn't matter as it is just a few more turns of the turret. Wind is not a factor as much either because if your wind call is off at 1500 yards you will miss with both Bullets. Now knowing that the hammer will open and do it's job way out that far is piece of mind. They have a much lower opening speed than the laser.
Just pointing out the fact that it's not an end all be all.
Another example it the 6.5 creed with a 140gr vs the hammer 124. The 124 will be better than the 140 out to roughly 500 yards as far as dope and wind. Give or take. After that yes the 140 will do better but at what distance does it lose its ability to kill effectively anyway. For me it's around the 600 yards mark depending on game.
Please don't take it the wrong way but I used to chase high bc to every end of the earth with every caliber I had. Then I sat down and started thinking of how many times I didn't need to or how often it made it harder. As most my shots are under 500 yards when hunting.

this is the issue right? They probably aren't better, but you tolerate it? I won't shoot a mono as long as I live And hunt in states that allow me other options. To each their own, but high BC bullets compensate more than anything else for a bad wind reading.

Does it make more sense to "tolerate" a lower BC, or "compensate" for a bad wind call? Seems like either way you're making a compromise, so why wouldn't you opt for a compromise which offers more consistent and predictable expansion on impact?

Yes and in some options you don't have a choice show me a .375 cal bullet that has a better bc than the cutting edge laser.
Lots of other things come into play like consistency. That's the key to long range. You can have a much higher bc but if each bullet is off in length or weight you can either spend time sorting or be off at the distance the bc will come into play. I used to swear off monos for everything but my long range .375 until I realized most my hunting ends up being at distance that a mini is flatter and faster. Which is less wind call and drop. Sure I could run a heavy 6.5 in my creed and possibly try a animal farther out. Or in my case if I know I may have longer shots I bring a bigger r caliber. For me that's what it boils down to.

And yes my 124 hh are better to 500 which is about depending on the charge I am running either side but it has less wind drift and less drop at that distance. Than my other option the 147eld. So yes they are better it's after that that the eld will be better. So in the 500 yard I say give or take depends on a lot of factors but do you kill more game over 500 or under?

I think Steve may have hit the nail on the head. Looking at the photo again it looks like there's semi-coagulated blood sitting on top of regular meat. Did you dig around in the area to get a look under the damage?

I've peeled off bloody membranes before to expose normal meat, but this looks like his second suggestion: that post-shot blood managed to fill in some of the recently damaged area. Based on one picture, that's the best estimation I've got.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.