Hammer Bullets

We have a 260g that has some good testing, and is pretty much ready to go. Need to shoot it long for drop in order to get a reasonable bc for you guys to start out with. Also one that is designed at about 290g. this one would need faster than standard twist. Still will be some testing for this one.

Steve

260g .338 is going to be a laser in a RUM! Will be trying these out for sure.

Steve,

Looking forward to it, esp some .308 heavy offerings.

Any plans of launching it on FB too?

Cheers!

Ed

We have a 215g .308 that we used quite a bit this fall with great results. It is pretty long so needs at least a 9'' twist.

Face Book huh? I guess I better get on that band wagon. Have not done it before.

Steve

We have done a little bit of work on a .17 for the same thing. No final product yet, but would guess that the .17 and .20 would be pretty much the same.

Steve

What weight, how long, and whats a ballpark BC on the .17? I'm very interested in a high BC bullet for my 7 twist 17BR.

Aaron

Steve,

Looking forward to it, esp some .308 heavy offerings.

Any plans of launching it on FB too?

Cheers!

Ed

We have a 215g .308 that we used quite a bit this fall with great results. It is pretty long so needs at least a 9'' twist.

Face Book huh? I guess I better get on that band wagon. Have not done it before.

Steve

Cool, my barrel will be exactly that twist rate. I hope you don't mind, I posted it in a local FB about your upcoming website and Made in Montana bullets. :Dgun)

Ed

What weight, how long, and whats a ballpark BC on the .17? I'm very interested in a high BC bullet for my 7 twist 17BR.

Aaron

Hey Aaron,

Sorry it took me so long to answer your question. The .17 that we have drawn has not been cut yet. We guess it to be about 17g. This bullet will be a hollow pt designed to expand on small targets. To be honest it has been low on the list for the simple reason that we will not be able to compete price wise with lead core varmint bullets. Most varmint shooting with small cal is high volume. We will be making some .17's to shoot this spring at gophers for our selves.

Your rifle has a pretty fast twist compared to factory rifles, so we could design one quite a bit longer. What purpose do you want the bullet for? Do you need a hollow pt? The smallest hole is one mm. So proportionally it is pretty big compared to the bullet. It will drop the bc compared to a non-hollow pt.

Steve

I've got several other .17's that have twists from 8.5 to as slow as 10. This one was built to try to shoot a chuck or prairie dog at 1k. A well known .17 and .20 caliber guy told me that it couldn't be done so I'm out to prove him wrong. Last spring I dinked a chuck at 750 with a .17BR and 30gr flat base bullets. When I got back home I started calling around asking the custom bullet makers if they would make me a bullet with a little more weight to increase the BC. The 17BR has plenty of horsepower to really push them quick and a high BC bullet would be awesome.

At 1 time berger made a 37gr VLD. They claimed it needed a 1in6 twist to stabilize the long bullets. A buddy recently sent me some to try in my 7 twist. They are .860" long. Lost river made a solid that was similar to the 37VLD and it weighed 32gr.

I'd be interested in a high BC 17 bullet. I have no doubts that they'll be more expensive than VMAX or other comparable bullets. BUT I'd love to rub it in the guys face by holding up a varmint shot at 1000+ with it :D

Aaron

I've got several other .17's that have twists from 8.5 to as slow as 10. This one was built to try to shoot a chuck or prairie dog at 1k. A well known .17 and .20 caliber guy told me that it couldn't be done so I'm out to prove him wrong. Last spring I dinked a chuck at 750 with a .17BR and 30gr flat base bullets. When I got back home I started calling around asking the custom bullet makers if they would make me a bullet with a little more weight to increase the BC. The 17BR has plenty of horsepower to really push them quick and a high BC bullet would be awesome.

At 1 time berger made a 37gr VLD. They claimed it needed a 1in6 twist to stabilize the long bullets. A buddy recently sent me some to try in my 7 twist. They are .860" long. Lost river made a solid that was similar to the 37VLD and it weighed 32gr.

I'd be interested in a high BC 17 bullet. I have no doubts that they'll be more expensive than VMAX or other comparable bullets. BUT I'd love to rub it in the guys face by holding up a varmint shot at 1000+ with it :D

Aaron

OK. What elevation are you shooting at? We will cut the slickest thing we can that will stabilize. I think we will need to hollow pt it so the chuck can't walk away with something other than a head shot. This sounds fun.

Steve

Do y'all plan on making a 30 cal bullet that will expand at the lower velocities of a 300 AAC Blackout? Looking for a high BC, to enable you to hunt with a heavier 150ish gr bullet, but yet reliable expansion at lower velocity.

Do y'all plan on making a 30 cal bullet that will expand at the lower velocities of a 300 AAC Blackout? Looking for a high BC, to enable you to hunt with a heavier 150ish gr bullet, but yet reliable expansion at lower velocity.

How low? The higher bc makes it harder to expand at really low vel.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.