Hammer bullets shoot!!!

the freebore, if it even matters
I gotcha! With the Hammer Bullets the amount of jump is pretty much inconsequential. They do not mind jumping at all. The only load that I avoid is touching the lands. A bad hunting experience years ago taught me to avoid that in a hunting rifle. Now that we have Hammers I do not see any advantage to jamming a bullet. Any more I have gotten very lazy about checking the distance from the lands. I just make sure that the bullet is not contacting them and seat to convenience. Whether that is mag length or maximizing powder capacity in the case or just off the lands.

Steve

I stopped by Hammer's shop the other day, and found Steve standing in enough copper to make him tweaker royalty here in Spokane. Some from the excess of turning bullets, but the bulk is from stock that doesn't produce the bullet he wants, and has rejected.

He mikes each bullet as it comes off the machine, and maintains advertised tolerances.

They've also got new precision machinery in the works.

A lot goes into producing the results we're seeing.

I have a quick question, how do the copper Hammer bullets work on game? I have seen other copper bullets act like FMJ's on game. Where they essentially punch through and do very little damage. Do the Hammers expand or just punch holes? Asking cause I am interested in using them.

I have a quick question, how do the copper Hammer bullets work on game? I have seen other copper bullets act like FMJ's on game. Where they essentially punch through and do very little damage. Do the Hammers expand or just punch holes? Asking cause I am interested in using them.
Terminal performance has been out number one goal. There is no point in having a premium hunting bullet that doesn't have reliable terminal performance or is difficult to shoot accurately. Our bullets are designed to expand reliably from muzzle to wherever 1800fps gets you with consistent weight retention regardless of the impact vel.

Steve

I think I better give them a try in my 280 AI. Are there many differences in reloading these bullets or do they act similar to lead bullets of a similar weight?

just make sure that the bullet is not contacting them and seat to convenience. Whether that is mag length or maximizing powder capacity in the case or just off the lands.

Steve

This is what I need in my 6.5x284. The throat is so long the bottom of the boat tail is at the bottom of the neck if I want to be with in .015 of the lands. At .015 off I only have half the neck gripping the bullet. Luckily I'm using a long action so I have plenty of room in the magazine.

If I push the bullet down to what I call about normal seating depth. I'd be jumping at least a quarter of an inch, most likely more!

Just finished shooting the last of a box of 100, 277 117gr Hammer Hunters @ 3600 FPS. At least 70 shots down the tube since last cleaning. Figured it was about time. Did my typical process. Overnight soak in Wipe-Out followed by Pro-Shot Products Copper Solvent IV (as good a BoreTech Eliminator).

First patch after Wipe-Out was good and dark with powder residue. First patch with Copper Solvent IV was quite clean with no sign of copper. Second CS IV patch after couple minute wait was spotless showings NO signs of copper.

Wasn't quite sure of the results. Ran a second CS IV, again with no copper.

Hmmmm, 70 rounds and no copper fouling evidence.

I'm liking this.

Just finished shooting the last of a box of 100, 277 117gr Hammer Hunters @ 3600 FPS. At least 70 shots down the tube since last cleaning. Figured it was about time. Did my typical process. Overnight soak in Wipe-Out followed by Pro-Shot Products Copper Solvent IV (as good a BoreTech Eliminator).

First patch after Wipe-Out was good and dark with powder residue. First patch with Copper Solvent IV was quite clean with no sign of copper. Second CS IV patch after couple minute wait was spotless showings NO signs of copper.

Wasn't quite sure of the results. Ran a second CS IV, again with no copper.

Hmmmm, 70 rounds and no copper fouling evidence.

I'm liking this.
We are not seeing any copper fouling in brand new factory barrels. We even quit breaking in barrels. With no copper fouling it seems like a waste of time and resources. We just shoot and clean as normal.

Steve

Same here! I was around 50 rounds with the 181 hammer hunter without cleaning. I figured I would knock the powder out with slip 2000 and then check for copper fouling. It had very little carbon build up and hardly any copper visible on the riflings. I did not even use any copper remover. Just continued shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.