Hammer Bullets Pressure Testing Results

I didn't, I followed your advice. Everything I've loaded with hammers has been faster and more accurate than C&C bullets of the same weight. I drop down to faster burn powder. All good.
I'll freely admit when ol Mr bean advised me to experiment with powders as fast as H380 in my .257 weatherby I was mighty skeptical and nervous…almost brought a backup pair of shorts with me the first time i shot such loads of fast powder in overbore cases if ya catch what I mean 🤣💩. This wasn't the "fill er up with 7828 or rl25 and let er rip!" I was used to as being the universal best approach with that cartridge

He hasn't led me astray yet! 😁

I'll freely admit when ol Mr bean advised me to experiment with powders as fast as H380 in my .257 weatherby I was mighty skeptical and nervous…almost brought a backup pair of shorts with me the first time i shot such loads of fast powder in overbore cases if ya catch what I mean 🤣💩. This wasn't the "fill er up with 7828 or rl25 and let er rip!" I was used to as being the universal best approach with that cartridge

I've loaded enough of the hammers now that I don't even try to sneak up on a load! I just start with a fill up it up to the start of the shoulder taper with faster burning powder, load two of them a head to the chronograph. If its a tight bolt lift, back off. If its easy add powder. Once you start seeing pressure, back off until it stops. Shoot it for groups, and work with the seating depth if needed. I've only changed powders to faster burn , never to slower. Once you get away from the small diameter bullets, .224,etc. I've found a jump of sixty to eighty thousands is where most of them like it. I think Bean jumps them more than that but he will have the confirm that statement.

I've loaded enough of the hammers now that I don't even try to sneak up on a load! I just start with a fill up it up to the start of the shoulder taper with faster burning powder, load two of them a head to the chronograph. If its a tight bolt lift, back off. If its easy add powder. Once you start seeing pressure, back off until it stops. Shoot it for groups, and work with the seating depth if needed. I've only changed powders to faster burn , never to slower. Once you get away from the small diameter bullets, .224,etc. I've found a jump of sixty to eighty thousands is where most of them like it. I think Bean jumps them more than that but he will have the confirm that statement.
I did find h380 good for what I was after but did in fact get best results with just a bit slower - with the 75 hammer hunters in my 257 wby best results were from RL17 followed very closely by H4350. No messing with depth (especially on such a short bullet with a weatherby chamber) - just seated to the top groove and crimped with the Lee FCD.

I did find h380 good for what I was after but did in fact get best results with just a bit slower - with the 75 hammer hunters in my 257 wby best results were from RL17 followed very closely by H4350. No messing with depth (especially on such a short bullet with a weatherby chamber) - just seated to the top groove and crimped with the Lee FCD.
Yep! I crimp with the LFC as well. About a quarter turn. On most of the medium cases .308 based I drop down about seven or eight powders on the burn chart and work with what's in that range that I have or can get. Haven't loaded anything as large a a weatherby case. Got someone who wants help with a .300 WM. But I'm i n the process of putting in a new kitchen and don't have time for it. He can wait another month sense he's going to be hunting with it and it's about to become a sauna in my part of Alabama.

Yep! I crimp with the LFC as well. About a quarter turn. On most of the medium cases .308 based I drop down about seven or eight powders on the burn chart and work with what's in that range that I have or can get. Haven't loaded anything as large a a weatherby case. Got someone who wants help with a .300 WM. But I'm i n the process of putting in a new kitchen and don't have time for it. He can wait another month sense he's going to be hunting with it and it's about to become a sauna in my part of Alabama.
Sounds dreadful! 🤣. I'll take Saskatchewan winters over that bona fide sauna weather you guys get down there haha

Hehehe….that reminds me of my former vehicle, a 1999 Honda CRV (before
They were all plastic haha) with a manual transmission. Gutless, but hands down the absolute toughest and most dependable vehicle I've ever owned (those late 90s Hondas and Toyotas are a different breed altogether I'm convinced).
5654096C-C66F-499A-AEA4-C6B7DB9A8FAA.jpeg

I had the same feelings when starting with absolutes and was reading to go faster in the burn rate. The first time definitely had some pucker factor to it. I had to tell myself in my head squeeze squeeze squeeze and not get flinch cause I was pretty nervous.
Loading hammers has definitely helped usher me from a reloader into more a handloader mentality and thinking on my own. It's been a great learning experience.

I had the same feelings when starting with absolutes and was reading to go faster in the burn rate. The first time definitely had some pucker factor to it. I had to tell myself in my head squeeze squeeze squeeze and not get flinch cause I was pretty nervous.
Loading hammers has definitely helped usher me from a reloader into more a handloader mentality and thinking on my own. It's been a great learning experience.
You have to clear your head of everything , we have been engrained with all these years and it hard to do I know but once you figure it out it's EZPZ

Sounds dreadful! 🤣. I'll take Saskatchewan winters over that bona fide sauna weather you guys get down there haha
My wife would not agree to that. No cold weather for her. We had single digit weather at Christmas this year. Lasted a week. Never heard so much complaining in my life. Heat and humidity only last about four months, rest of the year is pretty good. I spent a year and a half in Alaska. One winter was enough for this southern boy. Loved Ak. Summer fished every day that was possible in the summer of 75. Had girlfriends VW beetle that would go most anywhere. Caught salmon fresh from the sea. Great time to be alive.

Last edited:
My wife would not agree to that. No cold weather for her. We had single digit weather at Christmas this year. Lasted a week. Never heard so much complaining in my life. Heat and humidity only last about four months, rest of the year is pretty good.
I could say the inverse is true here…"it's only consistently dropping below -10f/-20celcius most days for about four months of the year. The rest is pretty good 🤣

Correct but there is also a reduced WF (Weight Factor) or SF (Seibert Factor) by 1200-2000 PSI not being accounted for that also accounts for increased velocity. The reduced starting PSI with reduced bullet to rifling contact equates to faster bullet in same weight category.
That is getting a bit nebulous and fudge-factory and well beyond the accuracy of the tool. In any case, pick a bullet in GRT which probably has a start pressure around 3k and run your load. Record the velocity and pressure. Now change the start pressure to 1000 or 0 or whatever and get your velocity and pressure. It will be lower. Now increase the charge back up until pressure equal and see velocity. I would bet few 10s of ft-second which is in the noise of velocity variation. Some folks are showing several hundred ft/s difference and showing higher velocity with same powder charge. That is not representative of lower pressures given the relatively small knob dealing with

Lou

That is getting a bit nebulous and fudge-factory and well beyond the accuracy of the tool. In any case, pick a bullet in GRT which probably has a start pressure around 3k and run your load. Record the velocity and pressure. Now change the start pressure to 1000 or 0 or whatever and get your velocity and pressure. It will be lower. Now increase the charge back up until pressure equal and see velocity. I would bet few 10s of ft-second which is in the noise of velocity variation. Some folks are showing several hundred ft/s difference and showing higher velocity with same powder charge. That is not representative of lower pressures given the relatively small knob dealing with

Lou
We all read the same as you and it's simple, You are never gonna get it but like I said you are consistent, with that being you sound like a broken record, we all appreciate the effort but you are talking to the wrong crowd

We all read the same as you and it's simple, You are never gonna get it but like I said you are consistent, with that being you sound like a broken record, we all appreciate the effort but you are talking to the wrong crowd
Ha. I guess hammer posts are only for true believers? I guess I will post a 270 win is best cartridge (it is by the way) and say 7mm and 6.5 fans not allowed to dissent or comment.

Any case, I was reponding to a response/quote. Possibly that poster has some useful incite. I recommend you try the experiment I suggested with GRT if that is your measuing stick for pressure/velocity. You may "get" something new.

Lou

You have to clear your head of everything , we have been engrained with all these years and it hard to do I know but once you figure it out it's EZPZ
For sure. Now that I've gotten a feel for what I'm doing and I have a better understanding of the burn rate chart. Load work up is a sinch. Definitely one of the easiest going bullets I've ever worked with.