hammer bullets on animals up close

55stone

Good morning guys, I tried searching first but was wondering what you guys were seeing with the hammer bullets up close. lets say 100 yards or under on game. I'm loading for a 7mag this year. Really thinking about running the 131 hammer hunters in it and there is a good chance i will take a deer around 100 yards or less. I'm wondering how these bullets going so fast are performing up close, anyone just getting pass throughs or still working great?? thanks guys

Good morning guys, I tried searching first but was wondering what you guys were seeing with the hammer bullets up close. lets say 100 yards or under on game. I'm loading for a 7mag this year. Really thinking about running the 131 hammer hunters in it and there is a good chance i will take a deer around 100 yards or less. I'm wondering how these bullets going so fast are performing up close, anyone just getting pass throughs or still working great?? thanks guys
Someone just posted a pig he shot at like 60 yards I believe. It was devastating. I've also killed 2 coyotes under 100 yards and still had good, explosive expansion.

Sorry, the post was old, but it just recently resurfaced again.

My wife shot her first buck yesterday at ~60 yards with a 6.5CM using 124gr HH. The buck was DRT, low neck shot. The bullet hit hard and passed through leaving a 1/4 to 1/2 dollar sized exit wound with minimal loss of meat. Also an impressive amount of blood from the exit wound. This is a tough bullet that holds together while expanding properly.

Weatherby MKV Outfitter
124g HH over 38.7g Varget
Solid 3/4 MOA at 2,868 fps.

Attachments

• IMG_3038.jpg
    IMG_3038.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 206
I use a 6.5x47 with 124 HH for my tree stand gun. Two whitetail bucks in two years at 50 and 30 yds. Both DRT with massive internal damage and full penetration with about a 2-3" exit wound. Muzzle velocity is 2938 FPS. I wouldn't worry at all about close range performance with the hammers.

Hammers are more lethal at faster velocity impacts. The petals shed and cause multiple permanent wound cavities. That is the main reason many keep ok dropping down in bullet weight for more speed. There is a ton of info on these tests on the hammer forum.

I shot my bull elk last year at ~100y and dropped him. Excellent performance

Last edited: