Hammer Bullets in 6.5 Grendel?

I ended up slightly over book max on powder and slightly under speed based on a 18" tube.
I have a very slight coining on this load but is very accurate. May back down a bit and see if the group hold together. I feel safe with this load in my setup. But always up to recommendations.
I have a light weight bolt that hopefully I can feed both the same load even if giving up a bunch on the bolt.

Attachments

• 9FD24747-CA64-475A-9052-E9BD2C0B91CC.jpeg
    9FD24747-CA64-475A-9052-E9BD2C0B91CC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 170
H€ll yeah!
I'd pleased with that...I need to break down and buy some. But I'm an impulse buyer. I see something on sale with free shipping I jump on even if I dont need them at the time.
16002756520826842096618695791735.jpg

Right three rows are 6.5 bullets...about 4 deep....310's on the left with 308 behind the first row of .310's...I mean who has 6 boxes of 7.62X39 bullets by 4 different manufacturers!

I ended up slightly over book max on powder and slightly under speed based on a 18" tube.
I have a very slight coining on this load but is very accurate. May back down a bit and see if the group hold together. I feel safe with this load in my setup. But always up to recommendations.
I have a light weight bolt that hopefully I can feed both the same load even if giving up a bunch on the bolt.
What powder were you running?

8208 xbr.
Good news is it also works fantastic in my bolt making nice clover leaf 5 shot. Not bad for a cheap howa mini cut down and fluted heavy. The coining has seemed to go away on this last batch of 20 I just did. My clean guns tend to be a bit higher probably because of a little lube on the case or in the chamber. Both seem very good now and both shoot great. Just for fun I wanted to see my drops at 200 with this load 1.5" high at 100 so my last two I went to 200. Would have done 300 but the wind is crazy here.

Attachments

• 1C7C4C6A-D3BD-4DE2-8E4F-3924E41277AE.jpeg
    1C7C4C6A-D3BD-4DE2-8E4F-3924E41277AE.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 141
8208 xbr.
Good news is it also works fantastic in my bolt making nice clover leaf 5 shot. Not bad for a cheap howa mini cut down and fluted heavy. The coining has seemed to go away on this last batch of 20 I just did. My clean guns tend to be a bit higher probably because of a little lube on the case or in the chamber. Both seem very good now and both shoot great. Just for fun I wanted to see my drops at 200 with this load 1.5" high at 100 so my last two I went to 200. Would have done 300 but the wind is crazy here.
Thanks, very nice! Hopefully my 18" criterion barrel Grendel likes them. If not, it's probably my terrible shooting. Or I'll blame the wind and say I pulled one or two...

That's what I do. Lol.
If I was you I would start with a bit longer coal then find your pressure. Load where you think is nice and see what it does. Then play with depth. I haven't had any issues with depth with any hammer yet but know that they tend to like a bit more jump which I give them from the get go with shorter mags.

That's what I do. Lol.
If I was you I would start with a bit longer coal then find your pressure. Load where you think is nice and see what it does. Then play with depth. I haven't had any issues with depth with any hammer yet but know that they tend to like a bit more jump which I give them from the get go with shorter mags.
I think I've got somewhere around 2.28 in my mag, but the chamber is cut to sammi, so I'll have to see where I end up with the lands. There's zero throat, and 107 Sierra at 2.255 are pretty close. This will be my first time with Hammers, so I'm sure I'm going to be even more poor now...

Just ran a pressure test up to 31.4 of 8208 and the 99 Hammer hunters through my 18" criterion barrel. That's about as hot as I would want to run it, but I had a great little group from 29.9-30.5. 30.2 put me at 2744fps which is right near where yours is running.

It can't be said enough, "If you start seeing conventual pressure signs like flatting primers, swipes on the rim of case etc. with the 6.5 Grendel you are already WAY over pressure for ARs." Be careful with IMR 8208. It is THE powder in my experience with the Grendel but when you get right at max load it can and will spike in pressure really quickly.

Fyi with an 18" bhw barrel I could not get 2700 with 100 gr bullets. Nosler shows 29 gr at 2744 from a 24" barrel. Subtract 20-25 fps per inch and that puts you at 2600 ish. If I had to guessed that load is over pressure.

Fyi with an 18" bhw barrel I could not get 2700 with 100 gr bullets. Nosler shows 29 gr at 2744 from a 24" barrel. Subtract 20-25 fps per inch and that puts you at 2600 ish. If I had to guessed that load is over pressure.
The Hammers tend to run a bit faster with a bit less pressure than common cup and core bullets. I have zero fears that this load is over pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.