Hammer Bullets in 6.5 Grendel?

CaptnC

I have been scanning the 6.5 Grendal forums trying to find the best possible combination bullet and powder...I have the powder narrowed down to IMR 8208.

Bullet is what I'm looking for now..

I have a very low end 18" barrel (factory new $75.00) so I have not expected too much out of it, but it hit me tonight...maybe the Hammer line of bullets will show me if this barrel really is junk.

Anyone run any out of their Grendel?

No, but I'm in a similar spot, and curious who weighs in.
I have a Ruger 77 in 7.62x39, not satisfied with with performance in typical bullet weights, the Grendel looks appealing. With Hammers in lighter weights, I'm reconsidering. So hopefully we get some discussion.

Thanks Mark...but the real question is can the Hammer bullets confirm my cheap-*** barrels ability to shoot decent.

I'm sure the 107 is a good bullet but it would take time to test for accuracy. The Hammer line can do it all in less than 10 shots...or at least I hope it can in an AR platform.

HARPER, I have a 7.62x39 AR platform rifle also. It's MOA of dead deer at best. I'e never even shot it out past 100yds.

Head to head the 6.5 Grendel should smoke the the 7.62x39...I'm not knocking 7.62x39, it puts meat on the ground much better than a 5.56 (still referring to AR platforms).

The 6.5 Grendel should be the diamond of the AR-15 platform!

The only grendel that we have loaded was with our 124g Hammer Hunter. We were able to get 2500fps nicely. When we designed the 99g and 110g Hammer Hunters it was with the grendel and creed in mind.

As far as the cheep barrel, I too am curious how it will go. So far getting moa out of any rifle has been achievable, as long as there was nothing wrong with the rifle. Like loose parts or rubbing stock.

Get a box. If they don't work out we'll buy them back.

Looking forward to how it goes.

Steve

STEVE!
Just the guy I've been looking for!

I can' find the thread back again but you had told me I needed to run the lighter bullets out of my 1:9 twist 6.5's...6.5-06 and 264wm...I don' recall for sure but I think you said the 110gr was the bullet I needed to usee in them...

So which ever bullet it was...I was planning to use it in all three! :)

The Ruger Compact Hawkeye 77, yields decent accuracy. The kids shoot it pretty well I need to bear down and get the Hammer's loaded, and do the shooting myself.

My issue had been the shortage of good light weight game bullets in .30 caliber, and marginal terminal performance .

I don't disagree about the Grendel being the better choice, rifle could still could end up a 6.5, after a couple of detours.

HARPER,
I've used Bear and Hornady's Zombie ammo with excellent performance on game. I have not seen the 7.623x9 Zombie Hunter in a long time, but I still have two boxes.

The Bear is a bi-metal HP if I recall. The last big animal I shot with it was an honest 200lb boar hog at about 125yds. The entry was point of near shoulder and exited in the crease behind the off shoulder. He made about two body lengths and noise into the dirt!

The last was a Blackbuck doe at around 100yds...hit the crease...exited the crease. She ran about a ten foot circle and fell where she started!

I have not shot the rifle in 8 years so I don't recall the exact bullet weight...but it was either 123 or 125. The Bear steel case stuff HP were tough on game...I shot a bunch of hogs and deer at short range...of course it performed great!

STEVE!
Just the guy I've been looking for!

I can' find the thread back again but you had told me I needed to run the lighter bullets out of my 1:9 twist 6.5's...6.5-06 and 264wm...I don' recall for sure but I think you said the 110gr was the bullet I needed to usee in them...

So which ever bullet it was...I was planning to use it in all three! :)
Yes the 110 Hammer Hunter or the Sledge Hammers up to 130g (depending on the vel). If you are wanting to stretch the range go with the 110g Hammer Hunter.

Steve

Steve,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but load development is; finding your target velocity.

If your target velocity is 2600fps you keep increasing the powder charge until your chrony hits 2600fps...stop there...load that powder charge...sight in your rifle...DONE!

Pretty close. Watch your pressure signs. Watch your vel with each increase in charge weight. I like to see uniform increases. Usually leads to very low sd. Remember your rifle may not like the chosen powder. Watch your target as you work up. I expect to see pretty close to moa as the load works up. If it is all over I generally switch powder.

Steve

.....I've used Bear and Hornady's Zombie ammo with excellent performance on game. I have not seen the 7.623x9 Zombie Hunter in a long time....../QUOTE]

I was never sure which bullet was in the Z-max-acted more like a-V-max. Couple of small deer, euthanized a couple of goats, and feral dogs.

I have probably the last few boxes of Cor-Bon 150 grain. Generic cup and core, 2300 fps. Brained a hog, no serious tests though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.