Hammer bullets barrel life

This guy started by giving his credentials of shooting long range and hunting long range including elk then asked what bullet he should use for elk. Suspicious at best. Then goes on a thread that had already been inflammatory but had pretty much died out and called someone out on a video he had shot in 2019 and said he was lieing about a conversation he had with a salesman and that a gel block was 2" shorter than claimed. Big deal. Irrelevant if the block was 2" shorter or not. Claimed he called the company to ask questions that would discredit the claims. If that isn't going out of your way to start crap I don't know what is. Then he starts another thread that the topic has been debated several times with a simple search and calls out someone else he doesn't know nor does he have any experience doing what this guy does half way around the world. This thread and his accusations then cause more hate and discontent. This buy definition is trolling which makes him a troll. If people don't see that I would agree they are naive. To me this has nothing to do with Hammer bullets or anything other than calling a spade a spade.
Valid points. Like I've said, maybe I'm too naive at times. I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt first. I'm definitely not perfect though. None of us are, as we're all human.

I think it's best to let this one die. I'm going to work harder now to refrain from interacting anymore in this thread. Again, I'm sorry if it was me that opened this can of worms. I didn't see it going this way, but I learned a lesson lol.

No need to Steve is a regular here and participating in the thread.
Well Mr. Steve needs to get his folks shooting a lot more! Lol😁

All kidding aside, If all other variables were equal (ie: heat and pressure) I would guess that the throat wear would be very similar to any other copper or copper clad bullet going down the tube since it is the same alloy going down the barrel with similar pressures and heat produced in the throat.

And for what it's worth, my comments about eating crow were based on your own accusations against @NorthRiverGuide about being a troll, not about Fordy. And I'm not sure the verdict is in yet on that. So let's not get things misconstrued please.

There are more than one set of accusations being made about more than one person here, so it seems. It's become a mess.
I feel sure it's all tied together in one bundle in one way or another

I missed all the drama becasue I didn't read the last few pages before posting. Had I, I would have steered well clear. I will unsubscribe from this thread as this kind of stuff serves no purpose, takes away from a really great board with a lot of great contributors. Peace Out Man.

Last edited:
OP, since you are new here and catching on to the fact that Hammer bullets have a well divided set of supporters and detractors, you should be aware that this is a long established dynamic. Just as the supporters can be overbearing and quick to become contentious, some of the detractors also have a history of not altogether model citizen behavior. This now predictable thread progression did not develop overnight, and neither side of the issue could have become this contentious without the willing participation of the other. I'm not looking to chide or dress down anybody, just provide context.

However, some of the main characters on each side have moderated their discourse a bit.

I understand you got here through research, and I myself have researched paper towels of all things. And I am sure there is an internet forum somewhere with people arguing over those things. Internet research can be a rabbit hole, for sure.

I for one think that the bullet on game performance is the most consistent and effective of any that I myself have implemented, while I also acknowledge that hunting at extended range (yes, what some consider 'long' but I consider 'too long' for me personally) is at some point better served by other construction bullets with higher BCs. I've said before that for my hunting scenarios, the Hammer bullet construction (and I suspect other monos, though I have not used others myself to recommend) offers a wider band of reliable terminal performance on game, i.e. 10 to 400 yards in my case.

I am confident that you will be pleased with the performance of the Hammer bullets on game, should you choose to try them. Given that your original question as to whether or not Hammer bullets adversely affect barrel life in any appreciable manner is a pretty well unqualified No, it would seem that you intend to try them out. My own experience is that the ease of load workup is the real deal, which is one aspect I value most and I hope you enjoy. And the value you place on customer service could not be better served than by Steve at Hammer.

If you had simply come across their website and called them up, you'd have great bullets in the mail backed by the best customer service I've run across.

Gday
Well I'm sorry I'm going to go off topic but I hope it's worth it to stop any future sharpening up of the tool in the shed or others that may become a little dull over time

So let's leave my credibility/ character for every individual to decide for their self on the following information

Assumptions hmmm accusations hmmm against me yes let's discuss
I've read the entire thread & hope I haven't left anyone out & accept my apology if I have

I thank the guys that didn't assume!!! They questioned the authenticity of my post from another thread so bobwright lrnut & petey308 I take no offence to the line you lot took & I think is completely validated

I also note that wildrose,orkan jonoton, straightshooter, born2hunt4ever ,rich Coyle & xsn10s also put other scenarios up to show it is possible
Thankyou & it is possible

Then the guys that went into bat for me harperc, ButterBean , muddyboots , 2 buffalo Rocky Mountain
I thankyou from the bottom of my heart but I've got my sharpening stone ready just sorry I have been to busy to nip this in the butt earlier

So all the formalities out the way I hope

First off I always extend my hand out with the assumption of firm hand shake in return
Obviously it was wrong to assume so before I even had a chance a accusation was put forward View attachment 398993 I don't like being called a liar

Well in my world that is wrong so that's your first lesson in not becoming a tool I won't say troll as never crossed your path before & with that attitude I hope I never do

I stand by my post that petey308 put up as it's factual
So you want some pictures & look carefully @ this one as it also maybe self sharpening once you keep reading on

View attachment 398994

So now we are @ a very critical part of the how it's possible to PERSONALLY take 600 critters in 12 hrs so I'd suggest you get your calculator out to make sure I'm correct & @Petey308 if you wouldn't mind could you ring your contacts in Aussie to confirm it is possible by not only me as obviously I'm lying & tool our friend on what does happen outside of the shed that some people live in like others mentioned above have

The property that the 600 in 12 hrs was in Tasmania Australia
2 nd time shooting on this property
Numbers get less the more you shoot & we rotated properties once numbers became low
22lr & 22 cal centrefire with multiple magazines
Property had multiple centre pivots & we would drive roughly to the centre & I would take everything out to around 65 yards ( sometimes this varied due to wind speed ) in a 360 degree circle ( note the rail on this vehicle I would stand in so no vehicle movement was necessary) on emptying one mag another was installed while my mate loaded the empty ( on 22 we ran 5 magazines 22 centrefire we ran 3 ) or sometimes as on this trip a young fella accompanied us & helped with loading & gathering up of wallaby & few rabbits
Once a circle was completed a quick swing of the light was done to see if others had moved within 22 lr range ( oh I used a handheld light & shot @ the same time no roof mounted light for me )
Then centrefire was used to complete the same process
Now shot time between the shots on a full circle /load & shoot was around 10 seconds per kill ( yes I've been timed ) & I was slow compared to some of my mates
accuracy varied from night to night but if I wasn't in high 90% kill range I was having a bad night but it did happen

So I'll say 12 seconds to keep it simple mathematically to include misses as I can't remember my total shots for the night

they were gathered up in batches ready for gutting outside of the pivots radius now on gutting it took me on average 20 seconds to gut ( last season I've dropped to 28 seconds per wallaby & I can't do the numbers I used to in one hit I need breaks & I will get Steve to video me just to prove a point if anyone is really interested when they come out yes no bs here either ) so even if I did everyone ( which I didn't ) I would still have 40 seconds up my sleeve so if we go that way that's around 6.6 hrs to gather up the wallaby & travel from pivot to pivot which were roughly 5 minutes apart ( it was never that simple I just broke it down so it's not to complicated for the knowledgeable one to stop assumptions but actual speed of kills & gutting are 100% correct no bs ) while that we would always have snacks & coffee while also having time for when nature calls but it was very intense & my body is buggered these days & im nearly 51 yes it's taken a massive tool on my body I had around 10 years of doing this pretty solid & also holding down another job so that's me & if that dosent satisfy curiosity or my calculations are wrong please accept my apology but I won't stand to be called a liar & the 600 is correct so stuff that up ya jumper
Here's a few other pics of over the years & I just wish I had a smart phone back then but such is life & my hammer kills if those are needed go do your homework & don't tell me some of them are not on here yes not by me by bean so search that up but on my home forum these guys understand & see what I do & some of my critters are on there & im not going to waste my time anymore if you need to know search because I choose who spends time in my world & you sir are done !!!!

Sorry for rant people but to call me out I'm not having that crap when this took me just over 3 hrs to type out when I'm better served I believe in helping people & learning off them
Other times on these culls we would drive around paddocks plugging them as we went but it wasn't as efficient as the pivots but still great times

Cheers

View attachment 398995View attachment 398996View attachment 398997View attachment 398998View attachment 399000View attachment 398999
Now that sounds fun! We do the same thing on our gopher shoots. Drive to the middle of the field and sit/stand in the back of the pickup with our bipods. Shoot one town or colony and go in a 360 degree circle. I have 2-25 round mags, 3-10 round mags and 1-15 round mag. After a good day of shooting we will shoot anywhere from 1000-1500 22 lr rounds in a trip. My thumb is sore by the time I am done and I am physically tired just from shooting and reloading. The last trip the landowner brought me water and lunch and said I've never seen so many dead gophers. It doesn't happen every time but it is some of the best practice to get a lot of shots fired. He has three pivots we shoot and rotate each trip. So three trips at lets say 1000 rounds that means 3000 rounds on one ranch. I do this for 3 ranches. A lot of trigger pulls. We don't have to gut them or anything we just shoot them and leave them. I would love to get over there and have a shoot like that! Happy culling and may your bullet hit your mark!

I have buddies in Texas that literally hunt hogs from helicopters with machine guns and thermal scopes. They don't even rack up numbers like 600 in 12 hours. They are covered in hogs and will wipe out groups at a time. I've traveled around and have friends around the globe including places like Australia and New Zealand. Even culling they don't hit those numbers. I've killed bison they aren't hard and don't really run. Even then you're saying 50-100 bison a day. Big difference between that and 600 in less than 12 hours. Hell even major processing plants with kill floors don't hit those types of numbers.
I don't know much about cull killing, but I can tell you this about processing plants. JBS in Ottumwa IA kills hogs at a rate of just about 1100 per HOUR!!

Really? Was this seriously necessary? Before I even got a chance to respond. Heck, I haven't even had the time to read all of his post yet, I just skimmed and saw this and it took my attention more than anything.
It's ironic that he complains about "trolls" yet so far what I've seen he seems to spend a lot of time trolling and harassing people even against you and you have been nothing but professional. Pretty hypocritical especially since they are blowing this out of per portion and trying making it into something it's not.

I don't know much about cull killing, but I can tell you this about processing plants. JBS in Ottumwa IA kills hogs at a rate of just about 1100 per HOUR!!
Was that once Cargill? I actually worked there for a short spell, once upon a time.

Sorry, I said I wasn't going to interact in this thread anymore, but you got me lol.

Gday
Well I'm sorry I'm going to go off topic but I hope it's worth it to stop any future sharpening up of the tool in the shed or others that may become a little dull over time

So let's leave my credibility/ character for every individual to decide for their self on the following information

Assumptions hmmm accusations hmmm against me yes let's discuss
I've read the entire thread & hope I haven't left anyone out & accept my apology if I have

I thank the guys that didn't assume!!! They questioned the authenticity of my post from another thread so bobwright lrnut & petey308 I take no offence to the line you lot took & I think is completely validated

I also note that wildrose,orkan jonoton, straightshooter, born2hunt4ever ,rich Coyle & xsn10s also put other scenarios up to show it is possible
Thankyou & it is possible

Then the guys that went into bat for me harperc, ButterBean , muddyboots , 2 buffalo Rocky Mountain
I thankyou from the bottom of my heart but I've got my sharpening stone ready just sorry I have been to busy to nip this in the butt earlier

So all the formalities out the way I hope

First off I always extend my hand out with the assumption of firm hand shake in return
Obviously it was wrong to assume so before I even had a chance a accusation was put forward View attachment 398993 I don't like being called a liar

Well in my world that is wrong so that's your first lesson in not becoming a tool I won't say troll as never crossed your path before & with that attitude I hope I never do

I stand by my post that petey308 put up as it's factual
So you want some pictures & look carefully @ this one as it also maybe self sharpening once you keep reading on

View attachment 398994

So now we are @ a very critical part of the how it's possible to PERSONALLY take 600 critters in 12 hrs so I'd suggest you get your calculator out to make sure I'm correct & @Petey308 if you wouldn't mind could you ring your contacts in Aussie to confirm it is possible by not only me as obviously I'm lying & tool our friend on what does happen outside of the shed that some people live in like others mentioned above have

The property that the 600 in 12 hrs was in Tasmania Australia
2 nd time shooting on this property
Numbers get less the more you shoot & we rotated properties once numbers became low
22lr & 22 cal centrefire with multiple magazines
Property had multiple centre pivots & we would drive roughly to the centre & I would take everything out to around 65 yards ( sometimes this varied due to wind speed ) in a 360 degree circle ( note the rail on this vehicle I would stand in so no vehicle movement was necessary) on emptying one mag another was installed while my mate loaded the empty ( on 22 we ran 5 magazines 22 centrefire we ran 3 ) or sometimes as on this trip a young fella accompanied us & helped with loading & gathering up of wallaby & few rabbits
Once a circle was completed a quick swing of the light was done to see if others had moved within 22 lr range ( oh I used a handheld light & shot @ the same time no roof mounted light for me )
Then centrefire was used to complete the same process
Now shot time between the shots on a full circle /load & shoot was around 10 seconds per kill ( yes I've been timed ) & I was slow compared to some of my mates
accuracy varied from night to night but if I wasn't in high 90% kill range I was having a bad night but it did happen

So I'll say 12 seconds to keep it simple mathematically to include misses as I can't remember my total shots for the night

they were gathered up in batches ready for gutting outside of the pivots radius now on gutting it took me on average 20 seconds to gut ( last season I've dropped to 28 seconds per wallaby & I can't do the numbers I used to in one hit I need breaks & I will get Steve to video me just to prove a point if anyone is really interested when they come out yes no bs here either ) so even if I did everyone ( which I didn't ) I would still have 40 seconds up my sleeve so if we go that way that's around 6.6 hrs to gather up the wallaby & travel from pivot to pivot which were roughly 5 minutes apart ( it was never that simple I just broke it down so it's not to complicated for the knowledgeable one to stop assumptions but actual speed of kills & gutting are 100% correct no bs ) while that we would always have snacks & coffee while also having time for when nature calls but it was very intense & my body is buggered these days & im nearly 51 yes it's taken a massive tool on my body I had around 10 years of doing this pretty solid & also holding down another job so that's me & if that dosent satisfy curiosity or my calculations are wrong please accept my apology but I won't stand to be called a liar & the 600 is correct so stuff that up ya jumper
Here's a few other pics of over the years & I just wish I had a smart phone back then but such is life & my hammer kills if those are needed go do your homework & don't tell me some of them are not on here yes not by me by bean so search that up but on my home forum these guys understand & see what I do & some of my critters are on there & im not going to waste my time anymore if you need to know search because I choose who spends time in my world & you sir are done !!!!

Sorry for rant people but to call me out I'm not having that crap when this took me just over 3 hrs to type out when I'm better served I believe in helping people & learning off them
Other times on these culls we would drive around paddocks plugging them as we went but it wasn't as efficient as the pivots but still great times

Cheers

View attachment 398995View attachment 398996View attachment 398997View attachment 398998View attachment 399000View attachment 398999
Thanks fordy. from the time I started reading this post in 24 hrs. its added 7 pages. I wanted to suggest to op maybe shoot you an email for more info. calling you out without ever talking to you {or anyone for that matter} was wrong . Thanks for what you share! I have had good conversations with you. look forward to more.

You are right in text you don't get to see and hear a person. One of the frustrating parts of the internet. What hammer bullets are you using and have tried?
You are right in text you don't get to see and hear a person. One of the frustrating parts of the internet. What hammer bullets are you using and have tried?
Starting with the 240 Weatherby running the 80gr Hammer Hunters, .308 win 166 HH's, two 300 WSM's 166 HH's, two 300 RUM's 180 HH's, three 270 Weatherby's 117 HH's, six 30-378 Weatherby's 181 HH's and 338-378 260 HH's. I also load many more for friends and have yet to have one I couldn't get to shoot exceptionally well. These are all hunting rigs and terminal performance has been exceptional as well. Im an old country boy from Georgia have loaded and used them all for over 30 years and have found the Hammer Hunters to be the best hunting bullet that's been made. For effective killing range/minimal velocity they do as advertised.

Didnt read all the replys but this whole barrel ife thing is WAY over talked about. New barrel installed is 5-700 bucks. Even if it only took 1000 rounds to wear out the barrel, the ammo alone is $2,000 and shooting Hammers it would be more than that, plus another $2,000 in expenses getting to the range, care of gun etc.

Doubling the barrel life to 2000 rounds isn't saving you much, maybe 350 bucks at the most. I suggest you quit worrying about the cost of barrels, because if that is a thing, the cost of shooting is probably out of reach as well.
I equate rifles bores to brake pads. If you are gonna drive around like your in the family sedan and baby it, they are going to last a long time. However, if your going to use a set in a high performance application, like say a Nascar race, then your going to have to plan on swapping them out a heck of a lot more often than that. Truth is you gotta pay to play. For years I paid other guys to do my barrel work for me, which made no sense because I'm a tool and die maker. Finally looked into it and figured out that there was nothing to it so I started doing it myself and never looked back back. The quality work I do for myself and others far exceeds what I was paying to have done by someone else.

Was that once Cargill? I actually worked there for a short spell, once upon a time.

Sorry, I said I wasn't going to interact in this thread anymore, but you got me lol.
Yes, I believe it was. It's been a few years back but I had borrowed a friend's nearly new Ford diesel pickup to go to Minnesota and pick up a lathe I had bought and was bringing it back to my shop when the engine blew up with just shy of 15000 miles on it. Four days sitting in a little bar there in Ottumwa before they had the new motor installed. I learned a lot more about that packing plant and the John Deere forage equipment plant than I ever intended to. Lol