Hammer bullets barrel life

I've gone back and read the entire post , and it seems he sure knows a lot about several members here , in such a short time and he is making bold statements about Fordy , I may be wrong but he seems too be looking for a argument . If not my apologies , and let's move on time will tale the tale .
It's amazing how you guys turn nothing into something. There's a lot of posts about hammers in here to read and they are usually full of comments from the same people. It's not hard to read comments and pick up stuff. I questioned the guy fordy's claims of killing 600 animals in 12 hours. Please explain how that translates into knowing a lot about him? I'm looking for answers by asking questions and reading. I'm not trying to pick fights or just argue. Unfortunately certain individuals seem to want that. Butterbean has accused me of being here before, saying I have a agenda, etc for no reason besides I questioned the fordy guy's claim and asked Steve a simple question. Reading through all the threads that seems to be common place here with certain members. They are attempting to twist what I say and pick a fight. I've gotten several messages from people telling me this is common place here from what the call the hammer fan boys. You guys can think what you want and make all the accusations you want. I'm going to get back to reading and having conversations with people who don't try twisting everything and making accusations. Have a good day

Yeah. He has also said he's been reading a bunch of threads regarding Hammers too, so maybe that's where he's gathered this info. Heck, idk lol. I'm trying to move on with it now. It appears you're moving on too 👍🏻
I'm trying to move on but the comments keep coming with accusations. At least you have been professional and helpful. Thank you

So far so good, but no I haven't hunted with them yet. Hopefully next month I'll get my first kill with them. @mcdil has been great to communicate with though in my testing so far. He's a member here (obviously since I tagged him), and is the owner of that bullet company, just for your SA.

I have a thread in this forum with my test results so far. I'll be updating it as I go.
Nice I look forward to reading your review on them. Hopefully you have a successful season. I'll be curious to talk to mcdil about his bullets. Is he pretty good about answering questions with people here?

I felt that his question was pretty straight forward with no ill intention toward hammer bullets. There would be no deviation from the question, if people just answered it instead of taking it off on crazy tangents, which is frustrating to the original poster. Of course his posts are all directed toward to hammer bullets. He CLEARLY stated that in the beginning of this thread. He came here for more info on them because this forum seemed to be the best place for that. Hell, I shoot hammers, and you guys drive me nuts haha.

Also, someone shooting 600+ rounds in a session, I find very hard to believe is actually precisely dialing in load to consistent .4-.5 accuracy and then paying attention to the precise moment the accuracy falls off. Dude is pounding wallaby's at 25 yards. He don't care lol.
Exactly I'm here about using hammer bullets and it went sideways. At least there's a few people here that are actually helpful. Haven't said anything negative about hammer bullets yet apparently I have a agenda against them 🙄🤦‍♂️ Hopefully this thread will get back on topic and we can have some actually have some discussions. So you have hunted with hammer bullets. What's your thoughts on the terminal performance? What's your setup and how far are you hunting with them?

How are the apex afterburners? That's another bullet I've been looking at trying. Have you hunted with them yet?

There are a few threads about the Apex bullets on here. I've shot all 5 bullets he has available right now (3 Afterburners, the Target bullet, and the Haymaker bullet) and I've been happy with them so far. I've shot one bear with the 153 Afterburner out of a 300 RUM this year and there's a thread in the bear hunting section about it. I've seen a few coyotes shot by a local friend with the 153 Afterburner out of a 30-06. I know there are other large animals down with them as well; Mark (mcdil) has the info on those.

This thread is already so far off the rails I don't want to make it any worse. I can post up the results I've had with the Apex bullets in a new thread if you want to start one.

Understood and at times words on a screen don't come across as they are meant. I load and shoot more than I care to admit and have for over three decades. Several years ago, because of what I was reading here on this forum, I decided to give Hammers a try. I called Steve to inquire and ordered for several different calibers. He was very thorough and explained in detail the benefits and limits of what he and Brian created and gave starting load recommendations. I've had exceptional results and they are my go to hunting bullet. Try them for yourself and make your own conclusion. I'm not affiliated whatsoever and have no dog in the fight and would be happy to send you some of f my own to try.
You are right in text you don't get to see and hear a person. One of the frustrating parts of the internet. What hammer bullets are you using and have tried?

There are a few threads about the Apex bullets on here. I've shot all 5 bullets he has available right now (3 Afterburners, the Target bullet, and the Haymaker bullet) and I've been happy with them so far. I've shot one bear with the 153 Afterburner out of a 300 RUM this year and there's a thread in the bear hunting section about it. I've seen a few coyotes shot by a local friend with the 153 Afterburner out of a 30-06. I know there are other large animals down with them as well; Mark (mcdil) has the info on those.

This thread is already so far off the rails I don't want to make it any worse. I can post up the results I've had with the Apex bullets in a new thread if you want to start one.
Sure that sounds good I would love to see your results.

I won't buy products from people I can't stand even if at times its cheaper/ better or whatever. Example:
I will be buying a tangent theta soon and will never buy from the YouTube star due to his narcissistic condescending tone throughout his posts. I will gladly pay more or find someone else. I honestly can't imagine how we ever survived without the carpenters tool bullets.
Yup I have no problem spending money as my wife constantly reminds me 😂 but I choose where I spend my money. Quality products and customer service is a big deal for me. They can have the best product in the world but if their customer service is terrible I'll go somewhere else. There's plenty of other companies who will gladly take my money and treat me good. The tangent is a sweet scope you will love it. I have a couple buddies running them in competition. I'll eventually add one to the collection. I've got Nightforce, leupold, Schmidt and Bender, and bushnell currently. Zero compromise is another good one I'll eventually get. What reticle are you planning on getting with your tangent?

What, might I ask, have you figured out? And where did he start on Hammers? I'm not at all condoning any behavior, I'm just curious and trying to see both sides is all. He seems blunt and maybe is coming on a little strong for being pretty new here, but I think he's trying to just ask questions and some questions seem to be very sensitive, for lack of a better term. Anyone that's been here very long would know that by now lol.

Just playing devils advocate here, and if I'm out of line, I apologize. Some people just have a different way of going about things I suppose. I'm not ready to write the guy off just yet as a troll. He still appears to actually be interested in Hammers even. Maybe I'm wrong 🤷🏼‍♂️ If I am, I guess I'll be eating crow.
He hasn't figured out anything and I never started on hammers. I guess asking questions about hammer bullets to use them is "starting on hammer" he jumped to a conclusion instantly and seems to be running with it. I've never been interested in a product before and accused of being against them for asking questions. 😂 Definitely a first for me very strange. By the way I started a thread about apex afterburners because another member said he will be posting this stuff in there for me. If you have anything you would like to add in there with your testing please feel free. Maybe the owner you tagged will comment in there so I can ask some questions.

Didnt read all the replys but this whole barrel ife thing is WAY over talked about. New barrel installed is 5-700 bucks. Even if it only took 1000 rounds to wear out the barrel, the ammo alone is $2,000 and shooting Hammers it would be more than that, plus another $2,000 in expenses getting to the range, care of gun etc.

Doubling the barrel life to 2000 rounds isn't saving you much, maybe 350 bucks at the most. I suggest you quit worrying about the cost of barrels, because if that is a thing, the cost of shooting is probably out of reach as well.

How are the apex afterburners? That's another bullet I've been looking at trying. Have you hunted with them yet?
Since you seem to be open or in a quest for trying out monolithic bullets, here are some options for your consideration:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/lead-free-bullet-compilation.290864/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/lead-free-bullet-maker-from-california.305828/

I am sure there are more out there, but this is on a list that I started a few months ago. Good luck.

Gday
Well I'm sorry I'm going to go off topic but I hope it's worth it to stop any future sharpening up of the tool in the shed or others that may become a little dull over time

So let's leave my credibility/ character for every individual to decide for their self on the following information

Assumptions hmmm accusations hmmm against me yes let's discuss
I've read the entire thread & hope I haven't left anyone out & accept my apology if I have

I thank the guys that didn't assume!!! They questioned the authenticity of my post from another thread so bobwright lrnut & petey308 I take no offence to the line you lot took & I think is completely validated

I also note that wildrose,orkan jonoton, straightshooter, born2hunt4ever ,rich Coyle & xsn10s also put other scenarios up to show it is possible
Thankyou & it is possible

Then the guys that went into bat for me harperc, ButterBean , muddyboots , 2 buffalo Rocky Mountain
I thankyou from the bottom of my heart but I've got my sharpening stone ready just sorry I have been to busy to nip this in the butt earlier

So all the formalities out the way I hope

First off I always extend my hand out with the assumption of firm hand shake in return
Obviously it was wrong to assume so before I even had a chance a accusation was put forward D5036B6B-086F-42D1-A2E0-69112457F061.jpeg I don't like being called a liar

Well in my world that is wrong so that's your first lesson in not becoming a tool I won't say troll as never crossed your path before & with that attitude I hope I never do

I stand by my post that petey308 put up as it's factual
So you want some pictures & look carefully @ this one as it also maybe self sharpening once you keep reading on

130F65DE-E1EF-4F31-940F-2132F4D69B49.jpeg

So now we are @ a very critical part of the how it's possible to PERSONALLY take 600 critters in 12 hrs so I'd suggest you get your calculator out to make sure I'm correct & @Petey308 if you wouldn't mind could you ring your contacts in Aussie to confirm it is possible by not only me as obviously I'm lying & tool our friend on what does happen outside of the shed that some people live in like others mentioned above have

The property that the 600 in 12 hrs was in Tasmania Australia
2 nd time shooting on this property
Numbers get less the more you shoot & we rotated properties once numbers became low
22lr & 22 cal centrefire with multiple magazines
Property had multiple centre pivots & we would drive roughly to the centre & I would take everything out to around 65 yards ( sometimes this varied due to wind speed ) in a 360 degree circle ( note the rail on this vehicle I would stand in so no vehicle movement was necessary) on emptying one mag another was installed while my mate loaded the empty ( on 22 we ran 5 magazines 22 centrefire we ran 3 ) or sometimes as on this trip a young fella accompanied us & helped with loading & gathering up of wallaby & few rabbits
Once a circle was completed a quick swing of the light was done to see if others had moved within 22 lr range ( oh I used a handheld light & shot @ the same time no roof mounted light for me )
Then centrefire was used to complete the same process
Now shot time between the shots on a full circle /load & shoot was around 10 seconds per kill ( yes I've been timed ) & I was slow compared to some of my mates
accuracy varied from night to night but if I wasn't in high 90% kill range I was having a bad night but it did happen

So I'll say 12 seconds to keep it simple mathematically to include misses as I can't remember my total shots for the night

they were gathered up in batches ready for gutting outside of the pivots radius now on gutting it took me on average 20 seconds to gut ( last season I've dropped to 28 seconds per wallaby & I can't do the numbers I used to in one hit I need breaks & I will get Steve to video me just to prove a point if anyone is really interested when they come out yes no bs here either ) so even if I did everyone ( which I didn't ) I would still have 40 seconds up my sleeve so if we go that way that's around 6.6 hrs to gather up the wallaby & travel from pivot to pivot which were roughly 5 minutes apart ( it was never that simple I just broke it down so it's not to complicated for the knowledgeable one to stop assumptions but actual speed of kills & gutting are 100% correct no bs ) while that we would always have snacks & coffee while also having time for when nature calls but it was very intense & my body is buggered these days & im nearly 51 yes it's taken a massive tool on my body I had around 10 years of doing this pretty solid & also holding down another job so that's me & if that dosent satisfy curiosity or my calculations are wrong please accept my apology but I won't stand to be called a liar & the 600 is correct so stuff that up ya jumper
Here's a few other pics of over the years & I just wish I had a smart phone back then but such is life & my hammer kills if those are needed go do your homework & don't tell me some of them are not on here yes not by me by bean so search that up but on my home forum these guys understand & see what I do & some of my critters are on there & im not going to waste my time anymore if you need to know search because I choose who spends time in my world & you sir are done !!!!

Sorry for rant people but to call me out I'm not having that crap when this took me just over 3 hrs to type out when I'm better served I believe in helping people & learning off them
Other times on these culls we would drive around paddocks plugging them as we went but it wasn't as efficient as the pivots but still great times

Cheers

2E0FB68B-2122-4068-8229-B21B63188C58.jpeg125E214E-F458-4EC3-99E2-4A91A0C4D86F.jpegB1675D18-2122-4478-B1F8-8B392F98B8B0.jpegFD3F5B2F-37AA-4057-8766-3F39B93AB89C.jpeg6F12C455-F2E3-46B2-8C20-0289B88ECA9E.jpeg2F0F107B-918F-4DFC-894D-43A61DAF6DCE.jpeg

Recent Posts