Hammer bullets barrel life

Window,
How many thousandths of erosion in the first two barrels?
Rich - it's not measurable in thousandths, more like inches. I'll run the scope in the one with 800 rounds tonight when I get home and send a pic. I wish I would have kept the last two to do the same with for comparison. What amazes me is how well they still shoot when they look like they do.

During red mist shoots for sage rats a shooter could maybe fire 600 rounds or more. Some might shoot quite a bit more rounds and maybe that many rats. Most use several rifles and expect toasted barrels after it's all said and done.

I shot about 1/2 hammer bullets and 1/2 bergers out of my 28 Nosler. Shooting the hammers at around 3300+FPS. Barrel life was about 850 rounds. Pretty standard for a 28. So I don't personally think they had any ill effect. The extra 4gr. of N570 probably did more damage than the bullet IMO
850 is pretty impressive for a 28 Nosler run hot. I have seen between 400-700 in numerous 28s.

Interesting question from the OP.
So here is what I noticed on 3 rifles:
7RM, Premium barrel, ~350 rounds of cup and core, H4831SC, Retumbo
Heat checking 1/2 of bore.

280AI, Premium barrel, ~350 rounds of copper monos
RE23 only
Heat checking 1/2 of bore

30-06, Factory Remington SS barrel ~750 rounds
Cup and core and copper monos
Varget only
No heat checking

Since the 280AI and 30-06 share the same case the primary difference is powder selection, as both will have 416 ss barrels
The variety of some shoot copper or cup and core, so the barrel condition seems to be influenced more by slower burning and higher velocity powders.
The way copper mono's have drive bands or grooves is reducing the area of the bullet bearing surface contact and engraving pressure from mono to mono. I don't see significant primer flattening when switching from cup and core to monos, speeds are easily attained using same powders or ones with same burn speed.
Admittedly, these are observations over years of reworking loads. Not scientific testing....
I don't see anything that says copper monos drive wear, but I do see a correlation to powder burn rates and higher velocities showing heat checking.
None of the 3 rifles show excessive throat erosion. All of my loads are off the max pressures to the next lower node before I had heavy bolt or flattening primers in ladder tests.
Just an observation...

850 is pretty impressive for a 28 Nosler run hot. I have seen between 400-700 in numerous 28s.
Funny you mention that. Berger's were grenading out of the barrel around 600 rounds. But the mono construction of the hammers is what allowed me to get to 850ish. I could jump them far and they held together and were still accurate. If I was only shooting Berger's or ELD's I don't know if I would have gotten much more than 600.

Interesting question from the OP.
So here is what I noticed on 3 rifles:
7RM, Premium barrel, ~350 rounds of cup and core, H4831SC, Retumbo
Heat checking 1/2 of bore.

280AI, Premium barrel, ~350 rounds of copper monos
RE23 only
Heat checking 1/2 of bore

30-06, Factory Remington SS barrel ~750 rounds
Cup and core and copper monos
Varget only
No heat checking

Since the 280AI and 30-06 share the same case the primary difference is powder selection, as both will have 416 ss barrels
The variety of some shoot copper or cup and core, so the barrel condition seems to be influenced more by slower burning and higher velocity powders.
The way copper mono's have drive bands or grooves is reducing the area of the bullet bearing surface contact and engraving pressure from mono to mono. I don't see significant primer flattening when switching from cup and core to monos, speeds are easily attained using same powders or ones with same burn speed.
Admittedly, these are observations over years of reworking loads. Not scientific testing....
I don't see anything that says copper monos drive wear, but I do see a correlation to powder burn rates and higher velocities showing heat checking.
None of the 3 rifles show excessive throat erosion. All of my loads are off the max pressures to the next lower node before I had heavy bolt or flattening primers in ladder tests.
Just an observation...
Thanks for the feedback

One of the reasons I don't comment on here much anymore.
That's a shame that
You take the worst possible interpretation of what someone is saying, setup a straw man, and argue. That's not the right way to go about things.

Who are you that anyone should listen? A brand new account spending all its time on the most hot-button topics this forum has, without an ounce of humility.

You can take your straw man arguments and set fire to them. At no point did I say to NOT do research on the internet. It has NOTHING to do with what I like or choose. It is the simple fact that you can do all the "research" you want... but until you have first hand experience, your opinion is worth precisely nothing. First hand experience is the ONLY way to get real wisdom. That is not my opinion or my choice... that's reality.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

a little defensive are we? Maybe you should look in the mirror I'm having a normal conversation and you're trying to make it seem that it's something it's not. Maybe you should notice that I haven't said anything negative about hammer bullets. I simply questioning a huge claim about kills. I've been all over this forum reading up on hammer and have seen multiple claims from him. There's nothing wrong with asking questions especially if you don't see any supporting evidence. There's nothing wrong with that. I've never seen a legitimate guy get butt hurt for people asking questions. Maybe you might consider you're over reacting and seeing stuff that isn't there. Again I haven't said a single thing negative about hammer bullets nor did I say that you don't believe in research. I simply told you how I personally do things and why.