Hammer Bullets and twist recommendations

I could be wrong - I usually am - but I believe it's the length of the bullet's bearing surface, not the overall length of the bullet, that commands a minimum twist rate?
I don't think that is correct, if you look at the 199 grain .308 Hammers the shorter 199 grain shock hammer is a 10.5 twist and the longer 199 hunter is a 9.25 twist and they shortened the boat tail on the 196 grain hunter so it will shoot in a 10 twist

It seems all sorts of folk say all sorts of things on this site these days...

tenor.gif

I'm new to Hammers, but my cousin in Colorado is ecstatic about them! He has taken 3 elk and 9 mule deer in the past 2 years with his 7mmRM and 121HH bullets. He says all have fallen within 30 yds. of impact, and were taken at distances from 170 to 600 yds! He has sold most of his other bullets!

My comment was not directed at you, @12gaugeman

Your question was valid. The responses just pain me. This site used to be a wealth of information and knowledge. It still is, if a guy searches things, but one really has to watch out for misinformation these days I guess!

Somebody explain to me how bearing surface length doesn't matter.
You can have a 2" long bullet with a very short bearing surface, long nose and long boat tail, and it will require a fast twist, take the same length bearing surface and shorten the nose and tail and it will require much less spin to stabilize it.

You can have a 2" long bullet with a very short bearing surface, long nose and long boat tail, and it will require a fast twist, take the same length bearing surface and shorten the nose and tail and it will require much less spin to stabilize it.
How do you know this? Examples?