Hammer Bullets and Hyper Velocity, The Misconception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have not heard anything bad about Hammers, so I figure I might be missing out on a good thing. Just ordered 100 to try in my 28N. Those Berger 195s are awesome (just took a shot at 715 yard - if a clay pigeon would have been my bulleye on my gong, I would have it). Bergers are awesome but just a little freaked out by the stories. Only animal I shot with one was a antelope at 150 yards with a 300 gr.

Anyone have any load data for the 177 gr bullet in a 28 Nosler?

Edit: just read the posts about Dusty N: pretty hilarious - I am not trying to stir the pot, but his posts helped make this to the top of the "What's New" section, so I read it, and decided to take the plunge. Thanks DN!
Yeah, I ran 83gr. of N570 in ADG for about 3200 FPS.

I since dropped down to the 169's at 3300 so that I could over-twist/stabilize them better

Yeah, I ran 83gr. of N570 in ADG for about 3200 FPS.

I since dropped down to the 169's at 3300 so that I could over-twist/stabilize them better
Great! I use RE33 in my two 28s now, but I have a lot of N570 as well (one of my RUMs loves it). Did you have pressure signs? Both of my 28s have identical bbls and chambers; they love 76.5 RE33 for 2980 fps, so if I got 3200 out of a hammer the lower bc might make it a wash (easy enough to run the numbers).

your wrong man , i read this thread fully and was into the topic before i laughed when snox said, that barnes cant do nothing better than hammers - did i not bring up a topic that would in fact make hammers first book better than barnes ,

sounds like a win win to me

Copy, Steve is expecting your call
Had a great conference call with Steve and Brian. First, I'd like to say how great it is they took the time to discuss issue…true professionals in every sense. They truly care about their product and customers.

We went through several problem solving scenarios that could possibly cause the issue I experienced…no excuses made. We have some follow up to do:
1. Check actual Proof CF barrel twist to determine if in fact it's 1:9.4.
2. Check feed to determine if my rifle may be damaging hollow point tip causing possible keyhole/tumble.
3. Send unused bullets back to them so they can run some metallurgic testing for hardness.

Regardless of outcome, hands down these guys made me a believer in the company and I'm sure in the product…my situation is an anomaly or mechanical issue on my part. They are hunters and shooters who want the best possible product and outcome to achieve success. Hats off to them.

More to follow as we eliminate possibilities. I will be loading HH in two other rifles soon, using them with confidence.

Great! I use RE33 in my two 28s now, but I have a lot of N570 as well (one of my RUMs loves it). Did you have pressure signs? Both of my 28s have identical bbls and chambers; they love 76.5 RE33 for 2980 fps, so if I got 3200 out of a hammer the lower bc might make it a wash (easy enough to run the numbers).
I was pushing my 195's at 3030 with 82gr. N570 out of 26" 1-8 twist barrel. Switch to 177's and 83gr. N570 and was at 3200 FPS. No pressures, but I'd start at 80gr. Or just add a grain or 2 to your RL33/195 load and work up from there. The hammers don't build pressures near as fast as lead of equal weight.

I read that entire post in Crocodile Dundee's voice
Ha,ha,,

There is a supernerd on the Africa hunting forum I read. His writing is in detail and specific. When I told him I hear the voice of Sheldon from big bang theory he thought I was mad🙄
But you can imagine the well articulated response that I got. It only reinforces I could be talking to the same person.
I am curious as to who the Australian distributor is for Hammer bullets. I have searched to max avail.
Can anyone enlighten me please?

Cheers.
I have my order in , so what's in stock is fair game now.
This thread flushed out another Aussie on the site.
Butterbean I hope your Aussie friend has a better working knowledge of terminal ballistics than he does the written English language. I was very interested in what he had to say, but was very disappointed that I couldn't comprehend most of his message. Maybe you could interpret that rambling word jumble for me?
I'm pretty sure I followed his meaning through the triangle of performance, the frangible, and the bonded projectiles, but after that I was just guessing
I did re-read that again, he probably has Phat Fumbs and can't type. There maybe a few typos , just read it slowly and think about what he is trying to relay.

I've spoken to the Aussie distributor, he's doing his own testing and private distribution .

We were taught English is the hardest language to learn. It becomes complicated when the same word can be spelt differently to be used in a similar or different context. There's and Theirs,

And America spell things like they sound but Australia stuck with English.

Anyway, it's Hammer Time

B2/57 My old 340 wby,beat the tips off lots of bullets in mag,was pretty light.Some feeding issue with partition or similar,some NAB's tips gone.My 338 NM flats front a bit too

On Hammer's website they list min velocity of 1800 fps. They haven't found a max velocity because the bullet is designed to hold up.

From the website: "All of the Hammer Bullets that are designed for hunting are impact tested down to 1800 fps impact velocity for proper deformation. We have not been able to impact a Hammer Bullet at too high of an impact velocity. They will retain the same weight at low and high velocity impacts."
It's been a while sense I been on Hammer bullets website. Thank you for the update on the 1800 FPS min for proper expansion. It used to be 1600 FPS.

Would you mind sharing where you found the 1300fps threshold for Bergers? I thought it was in the range of 1600-1800 fps.
I'm out of town right now. I see if I can't get that info for you when I get home. I think it's on the ammo box. I'm gonna call them the first Gen Berger VLDs. Ive had them for over 10 years. I think the new EOL line of Berger bullets need 1600 FPS. I'll get that info for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.