Hammer Bullets and Hyper Velocity, The Misconception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something is definitely amiss it's nearly impossible for a 260 gr 33 cal solid copper bullet too fragment too 20 and 30 gr pieces I've shot 25cal hammers into solid back stop and recovered the shank and it weighs back 60 grs from a 90 gr moving 3800 plus fps I understand bullet blow up etc but that is nearly impossible too make happen on bone and flesh with-a hammer a report like this can give a novice in reloading and bullet performance a bad opinion and I really would hate too see that
Unemotionally, I posted a recent finding. The intent was to have honest exchange of information about a specific bullet in a specific situation. If that's not welcome here, no problem. Not trying dissuade a novice or anyone…I don't sell bullets, I buy/use them in multiple situations/applications. I've witnessed/made hundreds of kill shots on large tough game. If I hadn't seen it, I might throw a bs flag also.
BL: How can a problem be rectified if we can't discuss the potential problem? To ignore it would be wrong. Possibly, the post may keep someone from having a similar experience that doesn't turn out as well…lost game. If I've done a novice a disservice, my apology…not the intent. Two kill shots didn't produce an acceptable end state….I was lucky to get the third. I will send the unloaded bullets back to Hammer IOT further triage the event.

There has been plenty of guys not happy and experienced penciling in the earlier Barnes,happened to me.I gave them up for the most part.But I do have a box loaded for my 257 Wby,and Id kill a bull with the set up.B/2-27 to me seems to have vast experience.I been on here a long time and have heard a bullet failure with all.

I'm shooting a 300 WSM 152 HH right at 3400fps. I shot my Shiras moose in the neck at 45-50 yards. Bullet dropped moose in his tracks broken neck then the shank diverted to the off shoulder and stopped just under the hide. The shank looks perfect. That's a high speed impact at close range and the bullet performed perfectly. The Hammer hunters are also extremely forgiving as far as jump to the lands. I load mine at max magazine length and shoot 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 100. I've also killed 2 elk with the same set up. Not bang flops but they both died quickly.

Unemotionally, I posted a recent finding. The intent was to have honest exchange of information about a specific bullet in a specific situation. If that's not welcome here, no problem. Not trying dissuade a novice or anyone…I don't sell bullets, I buy/use them in multiple situations/applications. I've witnessed/made hundreds of kill shots on large tough game. If I hadn't seen it, I might throw a bs flag also.
BL: How can a problem be rectified if we can't discuss the potential problem? To ignore it would be wrong. Possibly, the post may keep someone from having a similar experience that doesn't turn out as well…lost game. If I've done a novice a disservice, my apology…not the intent. Two kill shots didn't produce an acceptable end state….I was lucky to get the third. I will send the unloaded bullets back to Hammer IOT further triage the event.
No Sir, Your findings are more than welcome, this is just totally abnormal and we are trying to figure out what happened so it can be corrected, there was a Asiatic Water Buffalo shot with the 124HH 30 cal in a 300RUM, it went through the horn and into the neck and still dropped it in it's tracks, Just a reference so you know where we are coming from. Bullet was found on the far side of the neck just under the hide ( which was 1.5 inches thick with two petals still in tow
Fordy 9.jpeg

You definitely sound like a experienced hunter and giving a honest report I would like too hear more about this from Hammer after analyzing some of your remaining bullets there's and old saying anything can happen if your at it long enough not trying too belittle anyone here just as surprised as you are but I will keep taking my chances with Hammer bullets

No Sir, Your findings are more than welcome, this is just totally abnormal and we are trying to figure out what happened so it can be corrected, there was a Asiatic Water Buffalo shot with the 124HH 30 cal in a 300RUM, it went through the horn and into the neck and still dropped it in it's tracks, Just a reference so you know where we are coming from. Bullet was found on the far side of the neck just under the hide ( which was 1.5 inches thick with two petals still in towView attachment 304048
We all learn when "stuff" happens🤔

High fragmentation suggests to me a hardness issue. Or possibly stock that had some sort composition issue. It could be just an anomaly and not the norm.

I can think of no other plausible explanation for two consecutive failures with copper core integrity.

I know another copper bullet manufacturer received some defective copper stock. Too hard. The cause of the out-of-spec copper stock may have been a side affect of Covid. I know, Covid gets the blame for most everything these days. But it was thought that experienced employees missing work, shifted some less experienced employees into the production line during that bad batch of copper production. Stuff happens...

Butterbean I hope your Aussie friend has a better working knowledge of terminal ballistics than he does the written English language. I was very interested in what he had to say, but was very disappointed that I couldn't comprehend most of his message. Maybe you could interpret that rambling word jumble for me?
I'm pretty sure I followed his meaning through the triangle of performance, the frangible, and the bonded projectiles, but after that I was just guessing.
I'm glad someone said it. I'm guessing I missed a lot of what he meant, because I got little from it. Ima need a translator

I can think of no other plausible explanation for two consecutive failures with copper core integrity.

I know another copper bullet manufacturer received some defective copper stock. Too hard. The cause of the out-of-spec copper stock may have been a side affect of Covid. I know, Covid gets the blame for most everything these days. But it was thought that experienced employees missing work, shifted some less experienced employees into the production line during that bad batch of copper production. Stuff happens...
I know from experience that some times the ends of bar stock can be a bit off from the rest of the stock. So it could be that. And yes with the labor shortage things could be out of spec. To me that seems like the most obvious answer. However I like to operate from the "trust yet verify" train of thought. It's an easy enough thing to do to check hardness.

Status
Not open for further replies.