Hammer Bullet question

Rosco ~
Wait to you get them in hand. I just purchased my first box of hammers and they ideed are impressive. Never have been a fan of Monolithics so will see I just hope they do not copper foul too much.

In the past two months I've purchased 7-8 boxes of Hammer bullets and shot four of them. The ladder tests have been easy to acquire zero, finding accuracy nodes in 12-15 shots for each rifle, I'm prepping two rifles for a Safari this October.

Fouling has been minimal and accuracy terrific. Both rifles are shooting sub MOA. My 338 Federal is sighted in at two inches high at 100 yards and its effective POI is 230 yards. My second rifle, a 270 WSM is sighted in at 200 yards and has an effective POI of 340 yards.

What impressed me was the overall accuracy and bullet weight retention. Based on available data the bullets are retaining over 90 percent of their original weight. In short that translates in my 145 grain 270WSM retaining approximately 130 grains of weight, and my 225 grain 338 Federal retaining over 202 grains of weight. Those numbers combined with incredible penetration make for an exceptional hunting bullet.

One of the ten animals I'm hunting this fall is Eland and a 2,000 pound antelope demands a bullet with exceptional weight retention and outstanding penetration. I'm convinced that the 225 grain hammer bullets will provide both.

Last edited:
Lol yes I've heard they are easy to find a node. I still did a ladder because I love to shoot. But I've shot over 100 124gr and fouling has been a non issue. It's cleaned up easy.

This afternoon was range day. I shot 20 rounds out of the 270WSM and twenty out of the 338. I decided to shoot at 150 yards, it worked out well. Going to have a sore shoulder tomorrow. Both bullets, the 270WSM and the 338 are patterning well, very happy with the accuracy from the hammer bullets. It's just going to take some time getting used to shooting off of sticks. Glad I decided to go with the 225grain Federals. You know when you pull the trigger on the 338. The Hammers are delivering.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.