Hammer bullet question for Elk

I have a 7mm RM which has been rebarrel with a Hells Canyon Armory carbon barrel. Currently I'm shooting 155 Hammer Hunter bullets. Because I ordered a shorter barrel to compensate for a muzzle brake I'm only getting a muzzle velocity of 2800 FPS before I start seeing pressure signs. I'm using Nosler brass and Retumbo powder. The rifle shoots my reloads into 3/8"- 5/8" @ 100 yds.
My question is with that bullet and muzzle velocity what should I consider my maximum shooting distance on elk should be. I understanding shot placement is always very critical. Thanks for any input.

I shoot 168gr Berger VLD's with 69grs of H1000 at 2950fps, 0.26 MOA @ 100yds out of my 7mm RM. Schneider 22" barrel with a muzzle brake. I could go a bit hotter but my rifle likes that round.

Two comments which were previously mentioned: 1) You should be around 3,000fps. 2) 1500ft-lbs on-target is the generally accepted minimum energy necessary for a good kill.

I would add that you might want to experiment with how far you are off the lands to improve accuracy although the math says it's good for the mission. I found that closer is better (Bergers are like that) but every rifle/ammo is different. I'm 0.002 off lands with CBTO of 2.705.

I have a 7mm RM which has been rebarrel with a Hells Canyon Armory carbon barrel. Currently I'm shooting 155 Hammer Hunter bullets. Because I ordered a shorter barrel to compensate for a muzzle brake I'm only getting a muzzle velocity of 2800 FPS before I start seeing pressure signs. I'm using Nosler brass and Retumbo powder. The rifle shoots my reloads into 3/8"- 5/8" @ 100 yds.
My question is with that bullet and muzzle velocity what should I consider my maximum shooting distance on elk should be. I understanding shot placement is always very critical. Thanks for any input.
I agree that you need to experiment with a faster powder per the guidelines on the Hammer Bullets website. Also see GLTaylors load data to see what others are using for their 7 RMs.

I shoot 168gr Berger VLD's with 69grs of H1000 at 2950fps, 0.26 MOA @ 100yds out of my 7mm RM. Schneider 22" barrel with a muzzle brake. I could go a bit hotter but my rifle likes that round.

Two comments which were previously mentioned: 1) You should be around 3,000fps. 2) 1500ft-lbs on-target is the generally accepted minimum energy necessary for a good kill.

I would add that you might want to experiment with how far you are off the lands to improve accuracy although the math says it's good for the mission. I found that closer is better (Bergers are like that) but every rifle/ammo is different. I'm 0.002 off lands with CBTO of 2.705.
No offense intended but nothing that applies to what a Berger Bullet does or likes will apply to the OP with the Hammers, It's a completely different section of the Library

Everyone seems to agree that he's using the wrong powder and can pick up about 200fps. It's an example that shoots faster, is more accurate, etc. A real-world example. Not something out of a book.

No offense intended but lighten up Francis.

No offense intended but nothing that applies to what a Berger Bullet does or likes will apply to the OP with the Hammers, It's a completely different section of the Library
Actually different Time Zone in relativity. The HARDEST thing to get past is to leave your standard reloading knowledge at the door when loading Hammers. Its like trying to speak to a German using Chinese. Their unique design requires more forward thinking on barrel twist, powder burn rate and bullet jump. Do a detailed review the Hammer load data to see what others are using for 7RM and select a powder more appropriate for the bullet weight. It will "fly right" then.

Everyone seems to agree that he's using the wrong powder and can pick up about 200fps. It's an example that shoots faster, is more accurate, etc. A real-world example. Not something out of a book.

Actually Hammers have repeatedly shown the faster you drive them, accuracy seems to improve. Many discussions with Steve on this but of course within pressure for your rifle. You REALLY NEED to leave your standard reloading knowledge at the door for loading Hammers except for reading pressure. All else is a different language.

My names not Francis and I'm quiet jovial but as Muddy said " leave your standard reloading knowledge at the door" Your not helping in any way whatsoever

Actually different Time Zone in relativity. The HARDEST thing to get past is to leave your standard reloading knowledge at the door when loading Hammers. Its like trying to speak to a German using Chinese. Their unique design requires more forward thinking on barrel twist, powder burn rate and bullet jump. Do a detailed review the Hammer load data to see what others are using for 7RM and select a powder more appropriate for the bullet weight. It will "fly right" then.

Actually Hammers have repeatedly shown the faster you drive them, accuracy seems to improve. Many discussions with Steve on this but of course within pressure for your rifle. You REALLY NEED to leave your standard reloading knowledge at the door for loading Hammers except for reading pressure. All else is a different language.
Muddy, Just sit tight, He will give us a quote from Brian Litz in just a bit or suggest we go to one of his classes so we can learn how we are doing it all wrong

9 minutes ago
Well I'm starting to figure out why the low velocities. This rifle had a new hells canyon armory barrel installed and chambered in the same caliber( 7mm RM). Believing I could simply full length resize my old brass which was shot through the previous barrel , I quickly found pressure signs at even low velocities I settle on 68.5 grains of retumbo, which equaled 2800fps. The old brass was Nosler brass.
I switched to new Nosler brass and have been able to increase my powder charge to 72.5 grains without any noticeable pressure signs . The next step is velocity test and work on the best seating dept. I'm very curious what the velocity will be at 72.5.
Thanks for all the input

9 minutes ago
Well I'm starting to figure out why the low velocities. This rifle had a new hells canyon armory barrel installed and chambered in the same caliber( 7mm RM). Believing I could simply full length resize my old brass which was shot through the previous barrel , I quickly found pressure signs at even low velocities I settle on 68.5 grains of retumbo, which equaled 2800fps. The old brass was Nosler brass.
I switched to new Nosler brass and have been able to increase my powder charge to 72.5 grains without any noticeable pressure signs . The next step is velocity test and work on the best seating dept. I'm very curious what the velocity will be at 72.5.
Thanks for all the input
Glad you got to the bottom of it. Honest simple mistake. I'm getting ready to throw a new barrel on my 28 nos as well, and shoot my old brass. You should be able to shoot the old brass to the same specs (roughly) after you've fired it in the new chamber also.

The point he was making was that if he is shooting a 168 at 2950 fps out of a 22" barrel, then the OP should certainly be getting more than 2800 fps with a 155 in the same length barrel. And I have found that seating depth matters with Hammers too.