Hammer Bullet of the Month for March

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-180-hammer-hunter/

For March we want to promote our new 180g .308-Cal Hammer Hunter. Some of you already know that we designed this bullet when we revisited the recommended twist rate for the 181g Hammer Hunter. We changed the recommended twist for the 181g Hammer Hunter to 1-9.5" (We have learned more about needed stability since we designed the 181g HH) We designed the 180g Hammer Hunter to be fully stable in a standard 1-10" twist barrel. We did some load work with the 180g Hammer Hunter last Saturday in a semi custom 300 rum and a slightly modified factory Remington Long Range in 300wm. The new 180g Hammer Hunter proved to run the same expected velocities that we are accustomed to in the 181g Hammer Hunter. Load development was very easy. Both rifles developed and zeroed in under 15 rounds each. I have attached pics of the targets with the particular data for each rifle. Both rifles shot solid sub .5 moa and very close to .25 moa. Pretty good for carry weight magnum rifles.

This is the 300 rum
Rem 700 action
Proof 28" 1-10" twist

This is the 300 wm
Rem 700 Long Range
26" 1-10" factory barrel.
Rifle bedded, Small PK brake, and Jewel trigger.

We should be headed out tomorrow to shoot them at long range and confirm accuracy and drop data for both rifles. I will post that data once we have it.

The 180g .308-Cal Hammer Hunter has a 10% discount for the month of March. Good shooting and hunting to all!

Finally got a chance to calculate all the drop data for the two rifles. Always interesting when two rifles come back with different results on the same range session.

1st rifle is our 300wm Rem 700 Long Range factory barrel.
Sightron S-tac 4-20x50
mv= 3320 fps
zero= 200y
barometric pressure= 25.62 hg
temp= 48*
humidity= 28%
785y correction= 12.5 moa
results in g7-bc of .243 (very close to the estimated bc of .246)

2nd rifle is a Rem 700 with a Proof 28" carbon barrel 1-10" 300 rum
Leupold vx-5 3-18
mv= 3400 fps
same atmosphere and zero as the 300wm
785y correction= 12 moa
results in g7-bc of .232

Whether the difference in the two rifles is the optics or the barrels effect on the bullet I can't say. I feel pretty good about the .243 g7-bc from the 300wm. This rifle setup has proven to be pretty good with everything we have shot in it. I will change the estimated bc to the shot drops from the wm.

Last edited:
The load details are listed in the pics. The 300wm was loaded with rl23 and the rum was loaded with h1000.

The load details are listed in the pics. The 300wm was loaded with rl23 and the rum was loaded with h1000.
Thanks.... clicked on picture and it didn't open....went to

1615345675166.png

Both rifles developed and zeroed in under 15 rounds each. I have attached pics of the targets with the particular data for each rifle. Both rifles shot solid sub .5 moa and very close to .25 moa. Pretty good for carry weight magnum rifles.
I'd be interested in hearing the load development and zero in 15 rounds procedure.

How did you choose the powder and the loads to use? And how many of each did you make?

One shot per charge in 1g increments ladder looking to find pressure. Once pressure is found back off according to how much pressure. Then load several at that point to validate that vel has a good es and accuracy is good. Zero the rifle then head out to prove accuracy and drop at long range. Usually take 8 rounds or so to shoot long. If conditions are good it is easier to tell how the rifle is doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.