Hammer Bullet of the Month for March

Finally got a chance to calculate all the drop data for the two rifles. Always interesting when two rifles come back with different results on the same range session.

1st rifle is our 300wm Rem 700 Long Range factory barrel.
Sightron S-tac 4-20x50
mv= 3320 fps
zero= 200y
barometric pressure= 25.62 hg
temp= 48*
humidity= 28%
785y correction= 12.5 moa
results in g7-bc of .243 (very close to the estimated bc of .246)

2nd rifle is a Rem 700 with a Proof 28" carbon barrel 1-10" 300 rum
Leupold vx-5 3-18
mv= 3400 fps
same atmosphere and zero as the 300wm
785y correction= 12 moa
results in g7-bc of .232

Whether the difference in the two rifles is the optics or the barrels effect on the bullet I can't say. I feel pretty good about the .243 g7-bc from the 300wm. This rifle setup has proven to be pretty good with everything we have shot in it. I will change the estimated bc to the shot drops from the wm.
For your ballistics tests, are you using scopes where the adjustments have been verified by tracking tests or are you just using the indicated values? I would hope you are basing your ballistics on scope adjustment values that have been verified.

For your ballistics tests, are you using scopes where the adjustments have been verified by tracking tests or are you just using the indicated values? I would hope you are basing your ballistics on scope adjustment values that have been verified.
We have not tested the tracking on the scopes. I know every scope is diff and if we had lots of time and nothing else to do we would do tracking tests on each scope that gets used. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Best we can do is be transparent about what scope was used. The 300 rum in this thread is going to get shot again with the 199g Hammer Hunter. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the two Browning rums with Nightforce and vortex optics that had identical results. If not the same we can say that the diff result would be either the tracking or how the bullet is distorted by the barrel.

I had said in the op that the rum was a 10" twist Proof. My mistake, it is a 9" twist. We will be re load developing it with the 199g Hammer Hunter.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.