Hammer Bullet Crimp

No 33 nosler for me anytime soon
Screenshot_20210824-232319_Chrome.jpg

I mean no disrespect but I'm at a loss , I have said the exact same words a thousand times and covered in depth over the last decade on this Forum, PM's and phone calls this exact same statement, So with pages and pages of information on this very subject, Eureka just like that you have it figured out , The LEE FCD is a tuning tool and helps in controlling PIDT ( Powder Ignition Dwell Time ) I have covered this in depth many many times on this forum but as of the last year or so folks are finally reaping the benefits of the LEE FCD, I'm no glory hound so don't construe this into that, all of my years of testing was for the folks on this site, My mission here is to help my fellow shooters and friends in any way I can and I hope that I have, Once again I mean no offense but I am truly at a loss, This seems to be the Norm anymore
Well, I was gonna ask a few questions,

I will leave out why crimp? I downloaded the instruction sheet to read later.
I will read the "Why I Crimp" thread next.

I'm a long time reloader and read a bit but slowly getting to gain further technical knowledge. Opinions vary and I thought the general consensus was crimping is reserved for heavy cartridges, handgun rounds and autos.

I only have one Lee FCD, it's for the .375H&H, based on the theory it's good to crimp these heavy rounds.

My second question came up when they posted this.

Is this all about Hammer Bullets. I have spoken to the guy who will

Does anyone use the Lee neck sizing collet dies?

I have a .280ai that I had built, I have faith in my gunsmith but the velocity ES seems high , given I have measured individual charges etc. New brass, Nosler BT Projectiles, all due care taken . I never chronographed loads earlier just looked to get 1moa or better but having gone down the rabbit Warren new rifle and some expense I would like to prove it's **** hot and shoot 1/2moa or so.

The moral of that story is what I pieced together from various conversations is I think it's neck tension. I adjusted the seating die down a little and things improved. I might buy the crimp die online, another lockdown purchase.

No doubt, I was thinking if the body was fine, the die length could be adjusted. Wonder if 338 Mag length might be easier to work with.

Bean was helpful enough to answer a few questions I had back in the spring. Cut to the end of the story I broke out all my FCD's again(bought all lee dies, cheap, when I started loading in college). In my 06' I dropped all the way down to 124gr Hammers with 1/4 crimp on top of a load of Varget not in in the book. The little 1/4 turn FCD as opposed to just neck tension tightened everything up to where I feel comfortable shooting out to 400 "holding on hair" as it were. I plan on having in the field results posted by October.
I only have one field where I can shoot farther but if you've ever tried to find a dead deer in a drilled bean field bordered by Weyerhaeuser pines you'll know why folks sometimes shy away from these shots.

Recent Posts