Hammer bullet concern

So you're saying that a bullet that glances off of a bone inside the animal and tumbles then all bets are off, or it's a failure because it wasn't properly stabilized?
I agree that if a bullet hits something hard, then all bets are off as to what will happen.

JMHO and I am no expert, but for hunting purposes, my thinking is:

If a bullet tumbles upon entering soft tissue (e.g. skin, muscle, lung, heart, liver, etc.), it was under-stabilized; and,

Pretty much any bullet will likely tumble upon hitting something hard like bone or wood, regardless of spin rate. And, because there are so many unaccountable variables such as angle of impact, material density, size and shape of the hard object (e.g. twig vs rib vs femur vs vertebrae), etc., it is pretty much impossible to reliably predict how the bullet will travel after that impact. Again, this being for hunting scenarios.

Last edited:
I guess we should start posting hunting pictures of animals we take with Hammers, the organs, bullet travel and exit, and all details important to making the shot.
I trust what I've studied here at LRH. They will be on my next hunt. Pictures of the details will be included, should I knock down a muley this fall.
Being honest, let the chips fall where they may, with photo evidence.
Absolutely

I feel that if a bullet glances off of a solid bone, (like the spine in the example given) that tumbling would be normal. If a stick can cause a properly stabilized bullet to tumble through the air, why can't a bone do the same thing inside an animal?
This also anther Hammer quality, they don't tumble no matter what they hit in all of the testing that has been done as of today

124 HH 300RUM Through the hon and into the neck, bullet and 3 petals were on the far side just under the hide, shot was 120 yards and the hide is 1.5" thick
Fordy 1.jpegFordy 2.jpegFordy 6.jpeg

I think I get you bro. Nothing is magic. Pick your poison - bonded, partitions, cup & core, solids... They all have "sides" that are beyond their intended use or design parameters. I think the reasons the Hammers keep getting bumped is because they are available, so easy to load and shoot, and perform very well with broad parameters, that so many guys are getting them and trying them. This "onslaught" just by nature feeds itself with guys coming in to ask questions or to report their successes. Consider it enthusiasm or interest rather than promotion. ;) Doubt anyone is getting paid to do it. Not me anyway. ;)
[/QUOT
Isn't your wrist too sore to type?
🤣🤣 Probably a good bit of truth to that. And I accept that some responsibility probably lies with me. Just think how bad it'd be if we were paid to promote them. An absolute squabble circus. ;) I guess our excitement about Hammer experiences spills out a little too eager sometimes. 😬
[/QUOte
🤣🤣 Probably a good bit of truth to that. And I accept that some responsibility probably lies with me. Just think how bad it'd be if we were paid to promote them. An absolute squabble circus. ;) I guess our excitement about Hammer experiences spills out a little too eager sometimes. 😬
I remember a time when Berger's were making holes like that and everyone said that they were "too explosive" and did too much damage...oh how times have changed.
Difference is you don't have all the blood shot meat damage