Hammer 98 gn hunting bullets

bob4

Friend of mine has a cooper 257 weatherby Mag 1:10 he can't seem to get a good load for. He's tried barnes TTSX and another that I forget. Anyone use the 98 or the 92 on deer size game yet? He's pretty limited with the 1:10 twist. I'll have to ask but I'm guessing he didn't specify a twist or certainly a 1:9 would have been in order.

Contact Steve at Hammer Bullets. He'll help you out. He's helped me out a lot on the 5 different calibers that I use with Hammer bullets. Generally, they are pretty easy to load. I think they used a 257 Wby for plains game in Africa recently

Steve can give the best info and I deffer to him.

Not sure on that bullets construction (impact vel range) but the monos seem to do very well with high impact vel. With a overbore like combined with the hyper vel possible I would think it would work very well until the lower BC slows things down. I am guessing he could be at 3500-3700 fps with them.

I do not have this cartridge but I have seen what the monos can do when they have high impact vel and its a fav setup for me shooting smaller cal and high vel out to where I can keep impact vel in the mid 2K fps up.

The guys are right on with what they have said.

More than likely the rifle is a 1-10" twist. Do you know how far your buddy is looking to hunt with this rifle? The two bullets that you mentioned will work perfectly in the 10" twist. The 257 Bee is one of the original rocket sleds designed for running a frozen rope out to 400y. At this range and vel bc is meaningless. If he is looking at running past 500y then the Hammer Hunter would be the best choice. The 92g Hammer Hunter being used by several guys Hammering hogs with great success. They have no trouble getting through the venerable "armor plate". This bullet will work through shoulder bones or pure lung shots equally well. Either Sledge Hammer or Hammer Hunter will out perform heavier lead core bullets in every way from high vel impacts out to as far as they carry 1800fps.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.