HAMMER 7MM 143 VS 177 FOR ELK

It's easy to get nervous with some of the velocities you see with the Hammer bullets over cup & core bullets. Steve will usually tell you about what velocity you should max out around if you ask him for advice on which powder to use and what to expect. I follow his load advice and do a course pressure test to see where I find pressure. Then I'll drop down around 1.5 gr and work back up in 0.2 gr increments to find a good velocity node. Then load a final "batch" to zero and check groups and my ES/SD. Most of the time I'm done with load development in 12 rounds or less (not counting the final "batch"). I remember getting nervous with the 143gr Hammer in my 7STW because I crossed the 3500 fps threshold. I hit 3560 fps and just started to see the slightest pressure sings
I know I had to stand on it and still didn't find pressure with the 143 in a 24" 7 mag. I did stop at 3250, which is about where steve said I would start seeing signs with H4831sc.

speed =pressure and pressure =speed

find a manual (Like Hodgdon) that actually pressure tests your loads and not some bs like QL to get their data then you have something.

Pay attention to how long your primer pockets stay tight and you'll be good.

side note, as some point in time we'll have good pressure testing machines at our disposal, I expect then we'll learn a lot just like we did when we got LRF's and Chronographs....

4 the most part, it'll be people finding out exactly how far over pressure they really are/were:)

Got lucky the first 2 they created were the ones i needed. Im a bit of a beginner when it comes to reloading so im really hoping to get some help on where to start with them

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.