HAMMER 7MM 143 VS 177 FOR ELK

Very cool! How was the internal damage?
Throw any sizable chunk of metal at an animal at a reasonable speed put it in the right spot and you'll be eating well. Most importantly, to me anyway, the hammer bullets gave me the confidence to make the first shot count.
I'll be testing this out on an eastern Canada moose next year.

happy hunting season 2020 fellas!

Attachments

• 85D9459E-CFEC-4C38-9715-1F0EE51BCEE0.jpeg
    85D9459E-CFEC-4C38-9715-1F0EE51BCEE0.jpeg
    752.8 KB · Views: 143
I agree monos work great for close work busting Bone. LR hunting Bullets they are Not.
25 heads very impressive but it doesn't change the facts.
I have only tested and shot about a few different monos via a universal receiver looking for velocity windows and disturbance.
Not one single mono ever did as well as a cup and core. No mater how big of hollow point we added. And the BC always suffers deterioration when a bigger HP is added.

NEV if your throats for a 195 I believe you bought well and just need to fallow through on it. You have gotten great info and it looks like it's up to you enjoy your hunt and post pics of the hunt and kill including bullet holes.

Headed home in a few.
View attachment 198678
I see your still beating that Horse to death, how many times are you gonna say the same thing ?

Facts are facts. My apologies they conflict with the flavor of the day.
No apologies needed its your flavor of the day not mine, Cup and Core Bullets have been working for decades and will continue to do so and I have used a ton of them but the Hammers are a totally different animal altogether and the newest release is a total game changer, Stick with what works for you by all means but the Hammers are working for a lot of folks

Awesome success story! I've been loading up 117 HH's in my .270 this week. They do group well, and are shooting extremely fast. Excited to try them on whitetail this season.

JPatzip---I've been running some 117 Hammers in my .270 though I'm using the Shock Hammers. Personally I wanted the more open point.

I'm just shy of 3300 with H4831 and sub 1/2" for 3 in my NULA (about 6 lbs naked)

Our fall bear season opens on the 15th, I'll be ready to roll.

(have some 70 Hammers for my 22/250 AI coming as well)

JPatzip---I've been running some 117 Hammers in my .270 though I'm using the Shock Hammers. Personally I wanted the more open point.

I'm just shy of 3300 with H4831 and sub 1/2" for 3 in my NULA (about 6 lbs naked)

Ah nice. I got 3400 fps with 59.5gr of H4350. But best group is .6 MOA at 57.5gr doing 3260. On a 20" barrel too.

I'm @ 24", and great accuracy.

3400 with a 20" barrel is way more than I'd feel comfy going, but that's just me.

3400 with a 20" barrel is way more than I'd feel comfy going, but that's just me.

Is it? I'm genuinely asking because I'm still learning with reloading, this is the 3rd gun/caliber I've loaded for. I saw in another thread that someone went to 61.0gr with the 117 HH before they saw pressure signs, so I stopped at 59.5. I didn't see cratered/blown primers or sticky bolt here. I'm really happy with the groups at 57.5 and ~3260 fps, might stick with that.

Is it? I'm genuinely asking because I'm still learning with reloading, this is the 3rd gun/caliber I've loaded for. I saw in another thread that someone went to 61.0gr with the 117 HH before they saw pressure signs, so I stopped at 59.5. I didn't see cratered/blown primers or sticky bolt here. I'm really happy with the groups at 57.5 and ~3260 fps, might stick with that.
It's easy to get nervous with some of the velocities you see with the Hammer bullets over cup & core bullets. Steve will usually tell you about what velocity you should max out around if you ask him for advice on which powder to use and what to expect. I follow his load advice and do a course pressure test to see where I find pressure. Then I'll drop down around 1.5 gr and work back up in 0.2 gr increments to find a good velocity node. Then load a final "batch" to zero and check groups and my ES/SD. Most of the time I'm done with load development in 12 rounds or less (not counting the final "batch"). I remember getting nervous with the 143gr Hammer in my 7STW because I crossed the 3500 fps threshold. I hit 3560 fps and just started to see the slightest pressure sings

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.